Amplifier for a DIY Subwoofer

yellowcurrypaco

I plan to design and build a subwoofer as the branded ones are quite expensive in India and I think I can get a better value for money by going the DIY route.
For the drivers, I haven't selected one yet but I'll be choosing it from diyaudiocart or audiofy (previously diyaudioparts) given there aren't any other good options online in India. I visit Delhi regularly so if anyone from Delhi knows of a shop with good subwoofer driver options then please let me know.

Now the problem I have is in finding an amplifier with enough power that can handle drivers with max power of 500W to 600W.
Can I have some suggestions on amplifiers that cost at the very max Rs 25,000.
Right now I have my eyes on iNuke NU1000dsp. Are there better options? DIY Amps from members here?

Visit diyaudioparts.com

You will find plate amplifiers there some maybe to your liking

I plan to design and build a subwoofer as the branded ones are quite expensive in India and I think I can get a better value for money by going the DIY route.
For the drivers, I haven't selected one yet but I'll be choosing it from diyaudiocart or audiofy (previously diyaudioparts) given there aren't any other good options online in India. I visit Delhi regularly so if anyone from Delhi knows of a shop with good subwoofer driver options then please let me know.

Now the problem I have is in finding an amplifier with enough power that can handle drivers with max power of 500W to 600W.
Can I have some suggestions on amplifiers that cost at the very max Rs 25,000.
Right now I have my eyes on iNuke NU1000dsp. Are there better options? DIY Amps from members here?
What's your total budget for the build?

a left field option, esp. if you can get your hands on a good 12v PSU.

buy a used car audio amp. you'll find plenty on the aftermarket because the ICE set is constantly upgrading. find a good bridgeable 2 channel amp or a mono amp. most have fairly good crossover and phase controls built in.

you will need to find a juicy 12v supply. You dont need to worry about clan power because car electricals are very noisy so almost all amps have good power filtering. even here a good used computer SMPS will work. (branded not the local types.. again used).

not optimum but very very cost effective

Crown xti 1002 amp
Take two 12" iwai drivers..
Put inside a sealed cabinet.
Use the amp dsp to equalise the subwoofer for your room..
Interesting. Took a look at their drivers and they don't seem to have all the t/s parameters and I'm not really down to build a sub without simulating it in a software.
Thanks though.

Get this Woofer.
SB Acoustics SB34SWPL76-4 12'' Subwoofer

Possible box alignments:
  • 1 cubic foot sealed for f3 of 40Hz and f6 of 30Hz. A little bass boost on the amp and you have a sealed box subwoofer.
  • Your normal vented box alignments would have too long a port in too small a box. A modified extended bass shelf could be used as 2.5 cubic feet with a 3" diameter vent by 12" long for f3 of 21Hz.
The above data is mentioned on site itself

For Amp look on below link
Dayton Audio - SPA250 - 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

So Rs. 17,700/- + Rs. 17,750/- for Amp. So with 50k Budget you will still have around 14k left for enclosure, which is more than enough budget to make even a vented Sub of 2.5 Cubic Feet

This Built can easily give a tough competition for many hifi brands.

Sadik

Get this Woofer.
SB Acoustics SB34SWPL76-4 12'' Subwoofer

Possible box alignments:
  • 1 cubic foot sealed for f3 of 40Hz and f6 of 30Hz. A little bass boost on the amp and you have a sealed box subwoofer.
  • Your normal vented box alignments would have too long a port in too small a box. A modified extended bass shelf could be used as 2.5 cubic feet with a 3" diameter vent by 12" long for f3 of 21Hz.
The above data is mentioned on site itself

For Amp look on below link
Dayton Audio - SPA250 - 250 Watt Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

So Rs. 17,700/- + Rs. 17,750/- for Amp. So with 50k Budget you will still have around 14k left for enclosure, which is more than enough budget to make even a vented Sub of 2.5 Cubic Feet

This Built can easily give a tough competition for many hifi brands.

Sadik
Yeah that driver is on my shortlist!
Regarding the amp, it is a 250W amp while the RMS Power of the driver is 300W. I'm no expert at electronics but from what I've read, isn't this something you should avoid? The amp will have no headroom at all and will be clipping a lot right?
It would be great if you could explain, thanks!

I am not that expert to guide on the electrical issues but i think it is fine to take your first step with this combination.

I am using my 30 watts Jean Hiraga Amplifier to drive my 400 Watts Speakers, I don't have to raise its volume on full to fill my room & it is driving them with ease.

Hope you will also be not using the sub on full volume.

I am not that expert to guide on the electrical issues but i think it is fine to take your first step with this combination.

I am using my 30 watts Jean Hiraga Amplifier to drive my 400 Watts Speakers, I don't have to raise its volume on full to fill my room & it is driving them with ease.

Hope you will also be not using the sub on full volume.
Thanks Sadik!

I
Interesting. Took a look at their drivers and they don't seem to have all the t/s parameters and I'm not really down to build a sub without simulating it in a software.
Thanks though.
I have already simulated it.
And have also successfully built a high end 18" sealed subwoofer.
So I'm pretty sure of what I'm recommending. :)

I

I have already simulated it.
And have also successfully built a high end 18" sealed subwoofer.
So I'm pretty sure of what I'm recommending. :)
Thats nice! Would you be able to post the simulated response? Also, I tried to look for some info about their drivers here on this site and it seemed like it is difficult to buy just one or two driver. You know anything about this? How much do they cost btw?

Yeah that driver is on my shortlist!
Regarding the amp, it is a 250W amp while the RMS Power of the driver is 300W. I'm no expert at electronics but from what I've read, isn't this something you should avoid? The amp will have no headroom at all and will be clipping a lot right?
It would be great if you could explain, thanks!
It does not exactly work like that. the power handling listed on the driver is the electrical power handling on a specified duty cycle typically pink noise on 1/3 duty cycle.

The physical power handling of the driver are driven by its linear excursion limits, and efficiency. if you are modelling this, most programs will represent this as a diagonal line for a sealed enclosure. (physical power handling increases with frequency). In a typical 12" of the type you are looking at, chances are you will hit excursion limits much before you hit max power (250w) for all frequencies below 60hz, unless its a really inefficient woofer. so if you have T/S parameters., cone dia, and xmax / xlim; and you can simulate how much power you will really need.

Hope this clarifies.

Thats nice! Would you be able to post the simulated response? Also, I tried to look for some info about their drivers here on this site and it seemed like it is difficult to buy just one or two driver. You know anything about this? How much do they cost btw?
Don't have the simulated files.
You can buy a single driver also..
Price is around 5k.
Price is low when compared to other brands because they are made in India ( I guess) so import duties etc don't apply..

Don't have the simulated files.
You can buy a single driver also..
Price is around 5k.
Price is low when compared to other brands because they are made in India ( I guess) so import duties etc don't apply..
Hi

Can you please share details of your 18 inch sub and some pics..

Will be helpful

Thanks

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back