amplifier for POLK AUDIO RTI A7

Akshit2111

Guys

i own Pioneer vsx 831 av receiver. Also i recently bought RTI A7.. The sound i hear is good but i feel it could have been better. Since i am very new to this game i dont understand power output per channel, ohms and matching that well. Please can anybody out here help me with my issue. I want to know whether my amplifier is decent enough to power my speakers.

RTI A7 are one of the higher range speakers from Polk whereas VSX 831 is from the entry level range. Even though the Polks have sensitivity of 89 db and 8 ohm impedance which makes them easy to drive, we can't expect VSX 831 to drive them to their full potential.

How big is your room and what other speakers do you have, is it 2.0 or 5.1 or something in between? Have you run the auto calibration? Are you using it mostly for music or movies and what is your source? Using any DAC for music? Check other threads on speaker placement in this forum. With these tweaks you may be able to extract better sound.

In future you have to look at upgrading the AVR.

Guys

i own Pioneer vsx 831 av receiver. Also i recently bought RTI A7.. The sound i hear is good but i feel it could have been better. Since i am very new to this game i dont understand power output per channel, ohms and matching that well. Please can anybody out here help me with my issue. I want to know whether my amplifier is decent enough to power my speakers.

Hi

You need serious muscle to drive the RTiA7s.....minimum 100 watts continuous at 8 ohms load....a Marantz SR50XX can easily drive it....

Does your AVR have Bi Amp facility? If yes then try Bi Amp...it will help pump some more power....check the Pioneer User manual

Guys

I feel you are driving the speaker to the with max out of ( VSX831) with min power requirement of ( RTA7) again it depends on the db level which u are driving it.( Volume level)
If you don't want to crank it up, u are good to go otherwise it is unsafe to use it for high volumes.IMO .
RTi A7 is in one of my preferred list ;).All the best

Hi

You need serious muscle to drive the RTiA7s.....minimum 100 watts continuous at 8 ohms load....a Marantz SR50XX can easily drive it....

Does your AVR have Bi Amp facility? If yes then try Bi Amp...it will help pump some more power....check the Pioneer User manual

Yes Bro u are right.Rti a7 needs a very good amount of power to be produce good sound.
I had hooked up my rti a7 to marantz 6011. But sound quality was ok ok type
Then biamped it not much improvement.
Then added marantz mm7025 power amp 140wpc. Much better sound with very good imaging.Stereo quality now better.
I still feel a power amp with 200wpc can utilize its full potential.

With the 6011.....Bi Amp helps....you need to manually tweak the levels.....that's how you improvise....

Source levels also need to be tweaked...

Audyssey setup keeps a conservative level for speakers and sources...better to tweak to suit your purpose and satisfaction

Hi

Bi -Amping from the same avr won't make a difference as the power supply is the same. I don't know if the yammy has speaker pre outs?

SOmehow....Bi Amping has worked for me....the other way is to hook it up as Speaker A and Speaker B which is risky but that also works too

RTI A7 are one of the higher range speakers from Polk whereas VSX 831 is from the entry level range. Even though the Polks have sensitivity of 89 db and 8 ohm impedance which makes them easy to drive, we can't expect VSX 831 to drive them to their full potential.

How big is your room and what other speakers do you have, is it 2.0 or 5.1 or something in between? Have you run the auto calibration? Are you using it mostly for music or movies and what is your source? Using any DAC for music? Check other threads on speaker placement in this forum. With these tweaks you may be able to extract better sound.

In future you have to look at upgrading the AVR.
Hello sir
Thanks for your suggestion.
My setup currently is 3.0. With rti's as floorstanders and csi a4 as my centre. Initially i thought i'd use the av receiver for 50% movies and 50% music but it turns out that the ratio has inclined more towards movies(where i have heard that my pioneer receiver excels).. my room is 14×12. And i mainly use youtube and bluetooth for audio and netflix amazon prime for movies.. i dont have any blu ray player aa of now. So if my Avr is not adequately powerful for my speakers then what should i do? I dont know much about bi amping and stuff all i know is that my reveiver has pre outs. Also i was thinking of upgrading my Avr to denon x2400.. will it make much of a difference?

Hello sir
My setup currently is 3.0. With rti's as floorstanders and csi a4 as my centre. Initially i thought i'd use the av receiver for 50% movies and 50% music but it turns out that the ratio has inclined more towards movies(where i have heard that my pioneer receiver excels).. my room is 14×12. And i mainly use youtube and bluetooth for audio and netflix amazon prime for movies.. i dont have any blu ray player aa of now. So if my Avr is not adequately powerful for my speakers then what should i do? I dont know much about bi amping and stuff all i know is that my reveiver has pre outs. Also i was thinking of upgrading my Avr to denon x2400.. will it make much of a difference?
I don't think your receiver has got preouts for fronts. If you find it in the manual or the back of receiver then you can use a separate poweramp. Otherwise try tweaking speaker placement and settings.
Yes denon x2400 will be an upgrade.

Hello sir
IMO it is definitely and upgrade from VSX 831 to Denon X2400 but you will not feel the difference as day and night( with RTi A7)

The sound i hear is good but i feel it could have been better.
Is the sound lacking for movies or for music?
For movies, a sub is a must.
For music you do need to feed better than YouTube and Bluetooth. You need a better source.
How is the bass in your room? A 14' x 12' room might be too small for your speakers and some treatment might help.

Is the sound lacking for movies or for music?
For movies, a sub is a must.
For music you do need to feed better than YouTube and Bluetooth. You need a better source.
How is the bass in your room? A 14' x 12' room might be too small for your speakers and some treatment might help.

Sir
I feel thee loudness is not there.. i may be nit picking.. but when i demoed a HTIB worth 30000 i think it sounded better compared to my setup.. my setup currently wud be above 1 lakh and i think m somehwere not satisfied.. the bass from the floorstanders itself is too much that i think adding sub wont make much of diff( i may be wrong plz guide me)..and what better than youtube and bluetooth like from which source? And since the issue is with my loudness i feel music lacks the punch( in other words music lacks the "meethaas", if you know what i mean) for movies i have to crank up the volume... also i have two more doubts
1) My speakers currently standing on marble like no carpeting or such..will this make a difference?
2) I dont know why but output from bluetooth is much loud than any other source i have tried. I find this bizarre considering bluetooth is considered to be inferior to other wired or wifi connections.

Have a look on a similar thread by fm DrVinayaka. He had a similar problem despite good components

Sir
I feel thee loudness is not there.. i may be nit picking.. but when i demoed a HTIB worth 30000 i think it sounded better compared to my setup.. my setup currently wud be above 1 lakh and i think m somehwere not satisfied.. the bass from the floorstanders itself is too much that i think adding sub wont make much of diff( i may be wrong plz guide me)..and what better than youtube and bluetooth like from which source? And since the issue is with my loudness i feel music lacks the punch( in other words music lacks the "meethaas", if you know what i mean) for movies i have to crank up the volume... also i have two more doubts
1) My speakers currently standing on marble like no carpeting or such..will this make a difference?
2) I dont know why but output from bluetooth is much loud than any other source i have tried. I find this bizarre considering bluetooth is considered to be inferior to other wired or wifi connections.
A couple of photographs of your room would help a lot. What furniture, curtains, carpeting do you have? How far are the speakers from the walls? Are they on spikes? It all helps.
Bluetooth degrades audio quality. YouTube audio is usually 192 kbps or lower. Neither is good for audio on a good system. Music should be 320 kbps or higher for good sound. Test with CD/DVD quality files.
Not sure what you mean by loudness. Look first for clarity. Where did you demo the HTIB? Demo rooms are well treated and our rooms are not. The most important component in a sound system is the room, not the speakers or the electronics.
If the bass is too much, the speakers might be too close to walls. Bring them out as far as possible. You could also use some kind of foam bungs for the bass ports.

A couple of photographs of your room would help a lot. What furniture, curtains, carpeting do you have? How far are the speakers from the walls? Are they on spikes? It all helps.
Bluetooth degrades audio quality. YouTube audio is usually 192 kbps or lower. Neither is good for audio on a good system. Music should be 320 kbps or higher for good sound. Test with CD/DVD quality files.
Not sure what you mean by loudness. Look first for clarity. Where did you demo the HTIB? Demo rooms are well treated and our rooms are not. The most important component in a sound system is the room, not the speakers or the electronics.
If the bass is too much, the speakers might be too close to walls. Bring them out as far as possible. You could also use some kind of foam bungs for the bass ports.

Sir
Here are the pictures

Sir i am hving trouble uploading the pics. I have downsized the images to 4MP. Still it says the uploaded file is too large to be uploaded

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back