Amplifier for Tannoy DC6 Speakers

charsi

Hi Guys

I am bringing in a pair of Tannoy DC6 speakers - Tannoy Revolution DC6 review | What Hi-Fi? from the UK with me.

I have so far depended on active speakers so not sure how one goes about matching speakers with amplifiers.

Can anyone suggest a good Amp to go with these speakers? I am only interested in using these speakers for music primarily.

Also, what is there a good place in Delhi where I can get trials with different amps?

Do try the Tannoys with the Denon PMA 1520AE. I never thought Denon will sound that good and really kill Creek,Marantz,Cambridge Audio,NAD,Exposure and Yamaha!!! It was revelation. The amp was bought in by a friend at the Dealers space who was hell bent that Denons are good for Home Theater only and I should look at Sugden Creek Flying Mole Peachtree etc etc for the real experience. But after the demo with Denon even he was taken aback!!! My advice just give it a listen and make sure to have a proper source/front end. In this case it was a DCD 1520 AE/Usher.

I also have Tannoy DC6 and have paired it with Lyrita Audio tube amp EL34 based. It combination is too good. If you are interested in a tube setup do contact Viren he is based in Delhi.

A point to note, the speakers require some burn in time. They need some time to settle down before they show their true potentials.

Hi Guys

I am bringing in a pair of Tannoy DC6 speakers - Tannoy Revolution DC6 review | What Hi-Fi? from the UK with me.

I have so far depended on active speakers so not sure how one goes about matching speakers with amplifiers.

Can anyone suggest a good Amp to go with these speakers? I am only interested in using these speakers for music primarily.

Also, what is there a good place in Delhi where I can get trials with different amps?

Hope you are not too intimidated by the number of choices offered so far :)

What music do you listen to? What is your room size? How loud do you listen to?

Haha, yes I am intimidated by the number of choices! and the cost of suggested amplifiers too!

I am a complete noob on these hifi systems so dont't know where to start in order to weigh up these options. At the moment I am only looking for something that will drive the speakers well, won't sound like crap.

I like the idea of going the indigenous route so think Lyrita might be good place to start for me.

Haha, yes I am intimidated by the number of choices! and the cost of suggested amplifiers too!

I am a complete noob on these hifi systems so dont't know where to start in order to weigh up these options. At the moment I am only looking for something that will drive the speakers well, won't sound like crap.

I like the idea of going the indigenous route so think Lyrita might be good place to start for me.

Lyrita is local and support is good. Owner Viren Bakhshi is an audiophile himself. Take your speakers, your own source and some music from your own collection and listen. If you like how it sounds with your source and your music just go for it.

Also there is a classifieds section on this site. Look for good deals there if pre-owned is okay for you. For example, currently there is an Onkyo Integrated amp on sale there. It's a great amp designed to be played alongside a turntable and has a tubey sound without the hassles of a tube. Similarly there have been many good amps sold recently at good prices. Even a Lyrita amp is on sale currently. You can keep an eye there.

Please note that Tannoys are bright speakers, buying amplifiers that are on the warmer side is always better. Look for NAD in second hand market.

okay, I have got the amp and the speakers all setup. I am already blown away by the sound!
I wasn't sure how big an upgrade this would be from my presonus active monitors but it is huge!!

I have never heard so much sepration between all the different instruments and I can almost visualise everything if I close my eyes. :)

Tryed Nad, Yamaha, Onkyo, Onkyo receiver, Pioneer, JVC - but then i found a old ROTEL (Ra985 - 2*100) and Tannoys went magic , consider Rotel on Tannoy

I own DC6 Tannoys as well, they're quite a resolving speakers with pleasant sound signature.
NAD, Marantz Pairs very well with them. I've played with Luxman, Arcam, Onkyo Integra & SMSL Amps, They pair decently with most amplifiers. I have not tried Rotel, but should be sounding good as per the reviews.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back