Amplifier to drive old Philips speakers

saketgyani

Hello!

I have an old Philips mini HiFi system that goes by the model FWV220.
It is a 3 CD changer with 2 cassette decks and radio. The amplifier unit has stopped working and I’m looking to buy a cheap amp to drive the speakers that came with the system.

I couldn’t find any information about the speakers of the music system online as the unit is from the time before internet and data became household names. But at the back of the speakers, it says 6 ohms.

I believe the speakers still work. To check, I was thinking I’d connect them with my Marantz PM5005 and see if they work.

Is it safe to do that? Would it by any way damage my amp?

I’m fairly new to the HiFi world and any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hello!

I have an old Philips mini HiFi system that goes by the model FWV220.
It is a 3 CD changer with 2 cassette decks and radio. The amplifier unit has stopped working and I’m looking to buy a cheap amp to drive the speakers that came with the system.

I couldn’t find any information about the speakers of the music system online as the unit is from the time before internet and data became household names. But at the back of the speakers, it says 6 ohms.

I believe the speakers still work. To check, I was thinking I’d connect them with my Marantz PM5005 and see if they work.

Is it safe to do that? Would it by any way damage my amp?

I’m fairly new to the HiFi world and any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

You may do a crude speaker test by a 1.5v pencil cell too. Just put each wire of speaker on different ends of the battery. It you hear a dull thud/click from speaker they are not blown and you may proceed with connecting them to test the SQ on your Marrantz (Ofcourse with caution and very low volume).

The above test is suggested under assumption that you may not be having a multimeter.

You may do a crude speaker test by a 1.5v pencil cell too. Just put each wire of speaker on different ends of the battery. It you hear a dull thud/click from speaker they are not blown and you may proceed with connecting them to test the SQ on your Marrantz (Ofcourse with caution and very low volume).

The above test is suggested under assumption that you may not be having a multimeter.
Thanks!
That’s a good idea.
Shall try and update.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back