Amplifiers for thiel CS1.6 speakers

BLASTO

Iam looking for amplifier for the thiel CS1.6. Which are the ones I should demo?
Looking for integrates for convinience sake. I was almost decided on the Musical Fidelity A5.5 but now I feel I could be rushing as I haven't heard a single amp in its price range to come to any reasonable conclusion. It can wait for a while.

My budget currently is 70k. Open for (and prefer) used stuff.

Looking for higer range than NAD/Marantz/Rotel etc. My Music Hall amp is already superior to these.

The thiel differentiated M3i and M6i amps clearly. This could either be due to the power or M6i has really different quality. But all over the net I hear thiels will shine with power.

Let me know the ones I should audition. Looks like most players do not have high powered integrates.

Also, How do the roksan caspian M2 pair with thiel? Where can I get a demo (in hyd preferebly)? There seem to be not even a single soul in the whole wide world who have made or heard this pairing.

Hi Blasto,

Please ask the mods to modify the title of your thread. I think you meant it to be "Amplifiers for Thiel CS1.6".

Slowing down a purchase process is always a good idea. I have never been able to buy anything quickly. But it is important to realize that most things in life are not simply running away from us. After your extensive search, you still may come back to your initial choice.

At the budget of 70k, you may consider used amps. Of course you have to ensure that you are getting from a reliable source.

I have not heard the Roksan you mentioned, but I have heard other Roksans and generally know their house sound unless the M2 is very different. Coupled with the Thiel 1.6, I suspect you may be lacking a bit of body in the sound. I'd expect more qualified members to comment on it.

You may want to read some parts of my huge amp thread. It's a thread started in Jan 2009 and I ended up buying an amp in June 2009. I think the title reads something like "Amp upgrade for Canton speakers: Feasibility study", although a large part of the discussion there are quite general. I learned a lot from that thread and will forever remain thankful to all the contributors.

Regards.

Blasto, you may have fallen in love with the journey more than the destination :) I was looking through Ravi_d Audio GD link he had posted, they seem to have high current amps for a decent price, auditioning them may be a challenge.

In the factory, Thiel uses Krell. In tradeshows Bryston, and the usual suspects like McIntosh. If you are going to UK sometime, that would probably be a good market for used high-end amps that works with 220V.

Musical Fidelity A5.5 is just above their entry level range and is a very good amplifier, but if you are looking for a different sound signature in the same level then i suggest you look at some used Mccormack,Bryston and Classe.

Theil's do need amplifiers with decent power.

Is there Naim/Roksan dealers in hyderabad where I can audition them?
Any ideas appreciated.

Iam looking for amplifier for the thiel CS1.6. Which are the ones I should demo?
Looking for integrates for convinience sake. I was almost decided on the Musical Fidelity A5.5 but now I feel I could be rushing as I haven't heard a single amp in its price range to come to any reasonable conclusion. It can wait for a while.

My budget currently is 70k. Open for (and prefer) used stuff.

Looking for higer range than NAD/Marantz/Rotel etc. My Music Hall amp is already superior to these.

The thiel differentiated M3i and M6i amps clearly. This could either be due to the power or M6i has really different quality. But all over the net I hear thiels will shine with power.

Let me know the ones I should audition. Looks like most players do not have high powered integrates.

Also, How do the roksan caspian M2 pair with thiel? Where can I get a demo (in hyd preferebly)? There seem to be not even a single soul in the whole wide world who have made or heard this pairing.

Thought you have settled down on the seat, still you are on the signal:p

@Srini,

What do you think about Acoustic Portrait?
Does anything come in this range?
Do they have integrates?

Hyderabas cinebells have Roksan Kandy only. :(
Will ask them for a demo.

I assume if roksan kandy goes well with the thiels, the M2 will be even better?
Any comments?

Also Roksan Kandy has 125 w/ch and Caspian M2 has only 80. Does that mean the Kandy drives better or is the M2's current delevery better and drives well too?

Any comments?

Also Roksan Kandy has 125 w/ch and Caspian M2 has only 80. Does that mean the Kandy drives better or is the M2's current delevery better and drives well too?

Just have an demo at cine-bells and stand in the signal for few more days to catch an train or bus to Chennai.:cool:

Any comments?

The current output specification for Kandy K2 is not mentioned in the manual where as for the caspian m2 its given as 60 Amps peak to peak which is more than the current output mentioned for MF M6i which is at 45 Amps.
Take those current output figures just for reference and not as a decision criteria.
Any amp capable of 80w/ch continuous output power and putting out at least 12 Amps peak to peak current output should drive speakers with 8 ohm, 4 ohm and occasional dips below 4 ohms comfortably.

Heard the Roksan Kandy with Marantz CDP and Jamo C607 speakers in the cinebells showroom and felt musical fidelity M6i is overall better by a big margin.

Ofcource there are a huge number of variables which makes all this almost wrong. Speakers, CDP, cables, even the amp.. Everything is different and it is almost impossible to deduce anything about the Roksan Caspian from it. Not a chance this listening is anything of significance even to me. I went to get only a 'fair idea' on what to expect of the caspian as the showroom was close to my house. I don't think I even got the 'fair idea'..

I know this is a useless post.. But..

Back