An budget DIY loudspeaker it in India?

arhantd

Hi friends..

I want to do a DIY project. This will be my first, so i am looking for a kit.
The cabinet i can build with the help of a carpenter. I am on a break form work so have a lot of time on hand.

I would prefer a full range with a super tweeter. Or maybe an open baffle setup.

I want to know if there are any good kits which can be bought in india?
Or are there any people who build and sell such loud speakers here.
The gr-reaserch or linkwitz of India!!!??

Also if you think its better to import and order from some site i am okay with that. I just want to do this as an experiment and learn along the way.

Though ill prefer to find some one in India who builds and sells such systems in order to support this culture here.

My budget is below 50k for the pair.
Thanks!

Most fullrange drivers are really wide range drivers. One option is a 6-8" wide range with a tweeter but I prefer the combination of a 8" woofer crossing to a 3" fullrange (FF85K, W3-871 etc...) at say 300hz.

GR is not in India but Danny Richie is helping Indian audiophiles out see the link below.
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/19688-best-ever-deal-loudspeaker-kits.html

Last edited:
For full rangers, talk to .....

1) Lyrita .... Mr. Viren Bakshi
2) Audire, Coimbatore .... Mr. Sarath Chandran

Both make use of Fostex drivers.

Rethm has been recommended to me as an all genre speaker by a fellow member here who has been using it.
Its a tad too expensive.

Can lyrita and cadence speakers be used as all genre speakers as well?? Or they are more suited to classical music. Not really to rock??

If I were like you with 50K money, I would have made an Open baffle speaker for 15K and buy two SS amplifiers one for mid-high and the other for low frequencies. Buy a mini DSP. I believe you already have player for your music.

One Norge amp for mid and high will cost max 10K, a plate amp will cost you 5K if you buy it from Varsha electronics. If mini DSP seems costly then play your music with USB sound card and laptop as active cross over ( I have assumed that you have a laptop or desktop and you are willing to play through it). Or else you have to buy an active cross over.

Or make an Open baffle speaker with passive crossover and a good amplifier. If you use PA drivers wisely, you can make OBs for as less as 5K to as much as 15K for a speaker set which will look like Jamo R909. They sound very good with correct combination of speaker and amplifiers and a good design.
I have experience of OBs with tube and SS amplifiers, I think they sound different and can be loved by different taste and expectations.

I wouldnt b able to do it all on my own.
I would definitely need a kit and proper plans and lots of help.
that is why i was looking for somebody who sells kits here or makes such speakers and sells them.

Lyrita definitely seems nice and vfm as well but my only concern is will be be able to play rock and electronic?

Arhantd, let me know when and how can I help you.

Jaipur is not too far from Baroda and net chat is always there.

DIY has one more gift of happiness in addition to the finished product.

It is better if you can hear the sound before make a decision.

Arhantd

On the diy section of this forum T Antony is documenting a build using locally avaialble Peerless drivers. If you dont want to go that route, be prepared to get the drivers from overseas.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back