An unconventional combo..

AVM

Has anybody tried/uses a SS pre with a Tube power?

Why the question?
I accidentally happened to try this combo yesterday night while I was preparing to give away my first amp - Sansui AU317 to another music enthusiast.
The amp wasn't being used for quie sometime and I intended to do a pre-check. My current set up is an all tube pre-power combo (its been about 2 weeks with it).
Being the lazy that I am, I unhooked the tube pre and introduced the Sansui as a pre into the chain.

What it did...
From my short observation time I noticed there was lot more Bass right from lower listening level with a sense of being tighter. There was boominess in the bass as I do not have room acoustics treatment.

Though a marginal difference in the mid range but the overall presentation seem to have a lot of energy.

Any thoughts/opinions to this combo?

AVM,

I was thinking about this for a while after I did my DIY pass B1 pre amp. I was so impressed with the Pass B1 pre that I want to keep that in my system for a while and I always dreamed about getting tube amplification to my setup. I am eyeing on the Dared tube amplification and pair it with my pass B1 pre.

Really glad that you brought it up.

Thanks,
John.

Hi John,
Now that you mention a passive pre, wondering what would an all L 34 only would sound like.
With an entry level active pre the mid range has an edginess and the highs ar easyily flowing. Bass has a tightness and now seem to be pointed to a target. There is energy when part of the triangle.
With tube it was warm, toned down and bass came on nicely when pushed, like being dispersed.
What role could the SS pre playing vis a vis the tube power?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back