Another please help me thread

sudeeps

Hi Friends,

Well I'm about to begin my auditioning journey for the long awaited first stereo setup :) I'm not an audiophile ( don't know how we define them but that's a different topic ) but a music lover. Still remember mom saying 'you used to run to the neighbor's house right after school to listen to cassettes when we didn't have our own cassette player' :p. Now I have saved some hard earned cash and is planning to get my first setup ( budget ~ 30K for bookshelves + 20K for stereo amp ( getting them from Singapore by a friend ) ). After reading a lot through this great forum and the questionable whathifi reviews I have decided to choose between Monitor audio BX2 / KEF q300/ Wharfedale diamond 10.2 for my speaker option and will be getting a Marantz PM6004 / Cambridge audio 351A as my stereo amp . Source as of now would be panasonic BDT220 Blu ray player playing CDs / FLACs. I also listen a lot to internet radios as I can't buy all the music I hear ( it still needs a lot of money :( ) So that's one reason why CA 351A tempts me a lot ( USB in to connect my PC to it to enable it to use it as a DAC ).

Now my queries :

1. I've not heard many hi end systems so need tips on how to go about the audition process ?
2. Should I take individual CDs which I want to use to hear the difference or make a compilation CD containing my 'to be used' tracks from various CDs ?
3. Decide the amp first or speakers first ?
4. Please some bargaining tips ?

Any more thing I need to take care of ?

Kind of music I hear : Classic rock ( Pink Floyd - a big fan, The Who, Doors, Led Zepp, Clapton etc etc etc ), Slow music ( country type, Alison Krauss, Blackmores Night ), Rock in general ( LP, Porcupine tree-- love love love these guys, Coldplay, Mumford & Sons ) , Bollywood ( ARR sir, 90s bollywood music etc ) and of course the plethora of Rabindrasangeet, Bangla band ( Yes I'm a bong ).

Love vocals and deep,tight bass ( I do listen to Electronic music too, Kraftwek types ).

Help me.

This forum has been a guiding star to me and I'll also be grateful to it ( though my wife thinks it has spoiled me :p)

Thanks in advance

here is a link that could help a bit
While auditioning, crossover high (100Hz) such that you do not decide speakers based on bass. A sub will fill that gap.
Note that humans have very short acoustic memory, meaning if you listen in one showroom and go to another, you will not remember what the previous speaker sounds like. Best way to compare is side by side. Listening for hours can make you get accustomed to a speaker and how it sounds, so if you show me a pair of speakers i can compare to what it sounds like to mine at home.

Its a good idea to use a song you know well to audition any equipment you may like. I would also suggest using a few tracks which are average. This way you know what you are going to get to hear at home on your average internet download mp3. Take the time to listen to as many setups as you can. By the time you're done with a few you will have a good idea of what you like or don't.

I would also suggest you look up some of the setups in the "FOR SALE" area here as you could get some seriously good deals instead of buying new. An imported amp costing Rs 25k new has electronics worth only a fraction of that. The rest is all eaten up by overheads. When buying used here, there's a good chance that you will get a system that has already been matched and broken in by a audio enthusiast. At your budget I would strongly recommend this route for great value for your money.

I would also suggest you look up some of the setups in the "FOR SALE" area here as you could get some seriously good deals instead of buying new. An imported amp costing Rs 25k new has electronics worth only a fraction of that. The rest is all eaten up by overheads. When buying used here, there's a good chance that you will get a system that has already been matched and broken in by a audio enthusiast. At your budget I would strongly recommend this route for great value for your money.

+1 to that. I would also suggest that you look at offerings from Indian hi-fi brands such as Lyrita, Acoustic Portrait, Norge, Lithos, DNM etc. Comparatively, their overheads will be far smaller (since most are mom and pop operations) than the branded ones, and you will get better value for the same amount of money. You will find many reviews about these Indian brands on the forum.

Thanks everyone for the valuable inputs, really appreciate. One constraint :

I need to tell my friend about the amp by mid-December as he's coming in January, the models I had in mind can be auditioned here and I can get it from there ( if I intend to get Marantz or CA ).

Now I know there are good Indian brands providing great VFM products and read many such reviews in this forum , and that option is open too :)

Query :

1. If I rip FLACs from my CDs and make a compilation CD , will there be a loss of quality ? Will it not be a bit inconvenient to change so many CDs and listen ( Are hi fi sales guys so patient ? :p) Please share what's the 'general norm' of auditioning :)
2. Bargaining tips ? I mean how much generally we get discount on the initial quoted price usually in Delhi ?
3. Speaker/Amp suggestions ?

Keep the priceless suggestions coming , gaining a lot from it :)

Thanks

Sudeep,
If you ask Marantz or CA for music, then i would say Marantz.Reg speakers grab KeF as are bit brighter side surely will feed with nicely for your Music Hungry since childhood:)

Norge is one of the popular and reputed Indian Brand who make their impact in our forum members too, so they could give you good suggestion too.

If you have idea to pick Whrafs then make it with Yamaha Combo:)

As Niki suggested check-out for some amp in "Sale by owner thread" ,and surely you would get some beauties.As forum members sells the products you can trust and also can audition the same before making the decision.

All the best for your purchase.

Thanks everyone.
I'm keeping a close eye on the 'for sale by owner' thread :) ( It's actually my browser's home page these days :))

Please I need auditioning and bargaining tips !

1. I always use a set of my own disks for auditioning. It's a lossless compilation. Everything I have on my "test disks" are ripped by me with zero errors and burnt in the best possible manner.
  2. Salesmen usually have their own disks. Those disks are the ones that have flattering acoustics. On my test disks, I have tracks picked on individual merit that give me insight into various aspects of a system I am auditioning. I recommend carrying a compilation of music you generally listen to.
  3. If you are auditioning a stereo setup, use the "tone defeat" mode on the amp, this will give a better idea of signature of the amp and speaker combination.
  4. Turn off all surround fields, if you are auditioning over an AVR. Otherwise you are listening to "enhanced" soundstage, which will not be the case with a stereo amp or the same amp in "Pure stereo" mode.
  5. If you are auditioning an AVR for stereo use, ask the salesman to play it in "Pure stereo" mode.
  6. Look for the type and extent of acoustic treatment. Sound of the same system will be marginally or substantially different in your room if acoustics are very different.
  7. Carry your own interconnects/speaker cables if you are going to audition high end system. That's the second best thing to do after the home audition.
  8. If you are listening to an "all new" system where all components are new to you, make a mental note of all the components.
  9. When you audition a system, you are auditioning a system. Don't get surprised if you hear something different at home. Its natural, unless you bu the whole demo rig. It will take some experience with auditioning to be able to tell the characteristics of a component in a totally new (unfamiliar) setup.

Thank you so much for such a well detailed thread. Would it be too much if I ask you to guide me to a thread or PM me a detailed process on how to perfectly compile a test CD from ripping different songs from different CDs ? I may rip and burn but without knowing the right software, right settings and right checks, do it all wrong :(

Google is your friend. Do it, you will learn a lot in the process.

The best way to do something right is to do it wrong a few times. It applies well in audio world. Unfortunately it doesn't apply so well on marriages in India.

Opened google on the other tab the moment I typed the last comment :p. Well I recently got married & thus just don't have the courage to comment on your last statement ( all I can do is wonder & smile :p)...Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you so much for such a well detailed thread. Would it be too much if I ask you to guide me to a thread or PM me a detailed process on how to perfectly compile a test CD from ripping different songs from different CDs ? I may rip and burn but without knowing the right software, right settings and right checks, do it all wrong :(

sudeeps knowing what you want and like is a start. Do the best you can. Take time to listen to different systems - not just in showrooms - but also from fellow audio enthusiasts. A perfect test CD is desirable but if you can't get one don't worry. Trust your ears as well.

You could use EAC, Exact Audio Copy......

Thanks everyone, I read an EAC tutorial, I have some songs which I want to use to test if I can say so, let's see how it goes...I guess setting up something that suits, it's a journey and to trip is successful unless you enjoy the journey too, not just the destination :)

Learning a lot from all you guys, thanks !

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back