• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Another take at simpler / smaller 2 way Open Baffle with LX521 flavour

Mogami Cables

yogibear

Happened to finish the single driver H frame just before lockdown and could not complete the FR baffles specific to each driver. This time the new 55” TV made it imperative to cut down on the height of earlier huge 50”X30” baffles and my love for the dual 15” driver H frame also had to be subdued and I had to limit myself to just a single 15” H frame and hence the second pair of woofers went back to storage for the time being. My room size is decent at 12’ x 24’ but I still wish it was bigger.

Well, the end game Open Baffle setup will have to wait till I get bestowed with my dream size room.

This time the idea was to completely isolate the FRs from the H frame woofer vibrations hence the design aspect of the LX521 of Siegfried Linkwitz kicked in. Again the decision to add the spikes had to wait owing to the lockdown so I cooked up a way to raise them off floor. I had simulated the response of different FR drivers to have a good response down to 120-130hz to catch up with the woofers but the baffles could not be completed as sudden lockdown caught my baffle design plans off guard. BUT how can that deprive me of the music ? So I picked the larger 12” Alnico Zenith FRs and mounted each with a plank of wood and double sided tape !!!

Please don’t try this and acoustically too its a blasphemy to cook up a setup like this even if it’s just an Open Baffle !

But this gave me two interesting experiences: 1. I can roll all my FRs with least of efforts.
2. What’s wrong (or right ? ) with those who advocate minimum or no baffle setups ? (Highly DSP controlled of course)

But then again, I sinned. I have no tone control, no bass boost or no equalization in my setup. DSP is a far cry. And not even a preamp. It’s just different music streamers playing from windows laptop with the USB Objective DAC feeding the tube amps. The tube amps play FR unfiltered and bass amps are crossed at 120hz driving the 15” woofers at speaker level input from the tube amps. It’s my own kind of 2 way active Open Baffle. Yes, I cooked it up a few years back and I love it. It’s very coherent sounding from 16-17K to 35hz with HF extension depending on the FR used.

Back to this setup. I wasn’t expecting much as there is no baffle around the FR. BUT to my surprise, it sounded excellent !!! I have no explanation as why but yes my FRs are kind of pretty high on Qts so that may be helping. Yes, I do feel sometimes with some tracks that some baffle would surely even out the sound but the over all the imaging and soundstage is at times “un-real” !!! Vocals are natural, relaxed with all the oomph !

Here, some pictures....

IMG_6510.jpg

IMG_6511.jpg

yogibear

Some clips of Jazz, Vocals and Progressive drums, for an idea of capability of setup's Sonics and LF extension.

Three different FR being played: 12" Zenith Alnico 97dB, 8" JBL Le8T Alnico 93dB, 8" Matsushita Alnico with Phase Plug 95dB. Tube amp are Single Ended 6V6 mono blocks, Bass Amps Class AB 250 watts RMS mono blocks.

yogibear

How much did it cost you to put everything together for the speakers?
It’s a windows laptop, the DAC ($99), tubes amps DIY 70k, Miller & Kreisler bass amps with active filters (35k) carried from US, drivers are like 40k (depends on FR chosen and carried home from US), wood/ply work hardly 10-15k.

Significant parts are either DIY or are bagged deals (NOS).

Still sound wrt money spent is surely amazing, for me at least with unlimited possibilities to experiment and upgrade.

No preamp, no crossovers needed.