Anthem MRX 510 AVR and use as a Pre

rkumarblr

Seeking input form Anthem users

1. Does the Anthem MRX 510 allow for an HDMI input once used in one of the input setup to be again mapped in a different input setup ?
That is , can I use Input Setup 1 to be HDMI 1 for audio and video
and Input Setup 2 to be again HDMI 1 for video but set audio to off or one of the optical/coax
If using HDMI 1 gets disabled from being selectable while defining input setup 2 then. I suppose the above can not be done.

2. What is the sensitivity, gain and output voltage of the MRX 510 pre if I wish to connect it with an external power amp ? How to I verify, technically (not by audition) that the power amp will match ?

3)Will ARC (calibration and setup) work when using the MRX 510 as a pre and an external power amp for the power ?

Any input form folks who own Anthem or know of Anthem is highly appreciated.

Seeking input form Anthem users

1. Does the Anthem MRX 510 allow for an HDMI input once used in one of the input setup to be again mapped in a different input setup ?
That is , can I use Input Setup 1 to be HDMI 1 for audio and video
and Input Setup 2 to be again HDMI 1 for video but set audio to off or one of the optical/coax
If using HDMI 1 gets disabled from being selectable while defining input setup 2 then. I suppose the above can not be done.

2. What is the sensitivity, gain and output voltage of the MRX 510 pre if I wish to connect it with an external power amp ? How to I verify, technically (not by audition) that the power amp will match ?

3)Will ARC (calibration and setup) work when using the MRX 510 as a pre and an external power amp for the power ?

Any input form folks who own Anthem or know of Anthem is highly appreciated.

Answers to queries 1 and 3 can be answered by Anthem owners.
Tips for query 2 (as it is a generic one) is wonderfully explained in this article (I could never be as articulate as these guys)
Amplifier Voltage Gain Explained Matching Amp to Preamp | Audioholics

Cheers,
Raghu

Raghu thanks again, this is a great URL, making it end user usable.
Tried some random combinations. I need to spend some time to understand it better.

The price of Anthem in India seems to be very steep, indicating that its not a dealer receiving it at dealer price and selling into India. Has possible implication on support as well.

Did not get any response on HDMI mapping for inputs from any of the Anthem users.
So discounting that from a limitation and from the reason for my choice.

Though ARC was the best looks like Audyssey XT32 is now quite good and comparable form what I have read.

Given all of the above I am leaning towards Marantz SR6010

SR6010 has XT32 , supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 which is great from 4K video (future proofing). Power ratings between Anthem MRX 510 and Marantz SR6010 5 channel driven I suppose is similar (has Atmos and DTS:X support, unfortunately will end up paying for this, say unfortunately since those are physical setups that I am unlikely to use any time soon)
Have used previous versions of Marantz and like the sound, not sure what is different in the latest versions of SR6011 , need to audition.
I hope I am making a good decision in considering the SR6010 over MRX 510 for the above reasons.

Is SR5010 also in your list? USD500 cheaper at US online sites. Diff is in Audessey XT vs XT32. Don't have a clue about room correction, but is it worth such a premium? Power wise both are almost the same.

Put in an update yesterday but not sure why I do not see it, so updating again

Raghu, thanks for the tip on SR5010. It definitely is a deal at US$ 500 less with the specs being almost similar to SR6010. Only 10w lower and Audyssey XT32 instead of XT.

Unfortunately the price difference in India seems to be not that significant and so SR6010 is the better deal.

XT32 is supposed to be much better than XT. Has a lot more filters and more advanced. The SR6010 also comes with Audyssey Pro pre-installed so at an additional cost you can get a professional with the equipment to do a much better job.

I did not believe in these software in the past. But the newer versions, I am given to understand really work for rooms with poor acquistics and or non treated rooms, once the speaker placement is done. The ARC from Anthem has a level that can be set at 300 Hz to 500 Hz or so beyond which the correction is not applied, since the brain is used to correcting for frequencies above that. Not sure if the XT32 in the SR6010 has that feature.
Also Anthem has a Quick Setup that I read can help pick the better Sub Woofer location from among the ones you select. Which is a great boon given the challenges of identifying the correct SubWoofer placement using room sweep a very manual process.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back