Any 5.1 Audio Switch available to use it for two sets of speakers!

edjamesx

I have onkyo 7.1 Amplifier and 5.1 Speakers being used for more than 5 years. Now i have upgraded my 5.1 HT package to use it in dedicated HT Room .

Still i wanted to use my old 5.1 HT system in my living Room for watching TV/ sometimes to be hooked with gaming console without adding another amp.

I will be using one set of speakers at a time (never need both at a time).

So basically i am looking some kind of 5.1 audio switch to switch between Speaker set "A" , Speaker set "B". Running Cables is not a big issue , only the wall is in between my HT and my living room , So i can dig a hole and inter connect wires. To adjust Volume i can live with adjusting from my settopbox / gaming console for now.

Is there any 5.1 audio switch available in the market ?.

One more note : My amp already supports two sets of speakers , Speaket set "A" all listening modes , but speaker set "B" is supported only in stereo mode.

I wanted 5.1 dolby /DTS for both speakers. Please suggest.

I wanted 5.1 dolby /DTS for both speakers. Please suggest.

Any suggestions ?

If i understood your query correctly, you are planning to use two sets of 5.1 speakers in different rooms with the same AVR right?.. If so, then it would be incorrect to do so, IMO..

The calibration in the AVR sets the speaker distance & levels from your listening position.. It would be completely wrong /incorrect to use speaker settings of one room in an other room via 5.1 speaker switch..

If you are refraining from buying an other 5.1 AVR due to budget, you may look for used one's from Forum members bet 10 ~ 15K max.. Will save you lot of hassle's of speaker wiring, 5.1 speaker switch and using incorrect speaker settings from one room to an other..

If i understood your query correctly, you are planning to use two sets of 5.1 speakers in different rooms with the same AVR right?.. If so, then it would be incorrect to do so, IMO..

The calibration in the AVR sets the speaker distance & levels from your listening position.. It would be completely wrong /incorrect to use speaker settings of one room in an other room via 5.1 speaker switch..

If you are refraining from buying an other 5.1 AVR due to budget, you may look for used one's from Forum members bet 10 ~ 15K max.. Will save you lot of hassle's of speaker wiring, 5.1 speaker switch and using incorrect speaker settings from one room to an other..

Thanks elalgoes,

My AVR already supports Speaker set "B" to be used in another room .. but only in stereo mode. I wanted in 5.1 DTS/ dolby.
I understand it may not sound correctly due to different size / proportion of room & due to nature of different speakers it may need different calibration.
But for Speaker set "B" in living room i can live with what ever it sounds .. ( i hope it will not sound so badly). My current Samsung TV sound was not at all good.. ( Though Samsung displays are amazing their speakers are pathetic... , Normal CRT tv sound better than this)

Considering ..My HT and living room are almost same size && Proportion also similar & amp will be used for one room at a time in my usage.
Thought i can use the same amp for both with simple audio switch.

Running cable is not an issue , as there's only wall between HT and Living room . My existing speaker cables will be enough.

My Room layout
TV.jpg

Spending in another AVR will be expensive (even used one will be minimum 15k).. if there's any 5.1 audio switch i can consider ..or i can live with stereo mode in my amp for now. (At least my TV sound will be better :)).

Last edited:
Thought i can use the same amp for both with simple audio switch.

Running cable is not an issue , as there's only wall between HT and Living room . My existing speaker cables will be enough.

Ok.. I shared my views based on listening position.. A no go, IMO.. But before you attempt to purchase a 5.1 switch, try connecting with existing cables itself between the wall and see how it is..

Spending in another AVR will be expensive (even used one will be minimum 15k).

If 5.1 is all you need in your living room, then an old AVR with optical / co-axial input will work.. You can pick it for <= 10K.. Try it from our FM in Bangalore in classifieds (or) OLX (or) used dealer..

Here is one AVR, incase you are interested - https://www.olx.in/item/harman-kardon-av-receiver-in-perfect-working-ID1jOAsL.html#a018664f51 All chances the seller may settle for 10K..

Ok.. I shared my views based on listening position.. A no go, IMO.. But before you attempt to purchase a 5.1 switch, try connecting with existing cables itself between the wall and see how it is..
Yes i tried already with stereo setup with speaker set "B" with my Amp. It works fine. This time i was running the cables around the wall . I need to dig the hole in the wall to cut short the Cables as in the above pic.

If 5.1 is all you need in your living room, then an old AVR with optical / co-axial input will work.. You can pick it for <= 10K.. Try it from our FM in Bangalore in classifieds (or) OLX (or) used dealer..

Here is one AVR, incase you are interested - https://www.olx.in/item/harman-kardon-av-receiver-in-perfect-working-ID1jOAsL.html#a018664f51 All chances the seller may settle for 10K..

Thanks .. I will check.
Any idea where 5.1 audio switch available and cost ?. I tried in the internet.. most of the place selling only two channel switch.

I can live with stereo setup as well for now with my amp speaker set "B" option. Other drawback here is , amp is playing the source only from two channel input sources. Amp is not playing anything to speaker set "B" if its connected with coaxial/ OPTical cables.

Any idea where 5.1 audio switch available and cost ?. I tried in the internet.. most of the place selling only two channel switch.

Am not sure on the ready made aval of 5.1 switch.. Probably a custom made one should do, with a gang box..

Ex : With 6 switches (one for each channel).. Not sure if that would work..
40124.jpg

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back