Any experience with Minidsp 2X4 HD ? Any idea from where this can be procured - new/ used ?

Amarendra

Hi,

Has any forum member used the minidsp ? I see a lot of threads but end with one- two answers. Not much can be found on the forum. Besides subwoofer tuning, are there any other uses ?
Is there any member willing to lend/ sell one ?

Hi,

Has any forum member used the minidsp ? I see a lot of threads but end with one- two answers. Not much can be found on the forum. Besides subwoofer tuning, are there any other uses ?
Minidsp has probably some 50 products in their website. There are different products for different uses from amps to dacs to crossovers. If you are talking of minidsp 2*4 or minidsp2*4 HD, while the most popular usage is for subwoofer tuning, there are other uses of the same.

Minidsp has probably some 50 products in their website. There are different products for different uses from amps to dacs to crossovers. If you are talking of minidsp 2*4 or minidsp2*4 HD, while the most popular usage is for subwoofer tuning, there are other uses of the same.
I was looking at basic 2X4 or 2X4 HD to begin with. Idea to calibrate sub and speakers for stereo. Is the 2X4 HD required or is the 2x4 enough ? I understand that these offer the flexibility to have a cross over between speakers and sub as well.

For calibrating subs , would recommend the 2*4HD due to the higher power. Some FM's had issues as the processing doesnt help in many use cases.
Detailed differences are below

For calibrating subs , would recommend the 2*4HD due to the higher power. Some FM's had issues as the processing doesnt help in many use cases.
Detailed differences are below
Usually ppl refer to the tuning of subs. Do these gadgets also help in tuning speakers ? Are the differences before and after tuning substantial for speakers ?

I was looking at basic 2X4 or 2X4 HD to begin with. Idea to calibrate sub and speakers for stereo. Is the 2X4 HD required or is the 2x4 enough ? I understand that these offer the flexibility to have a cross over between speakers and sub as well.
2x4 hd is mandatory..and will perfectly suit your requirement.
The output voltage of 2x4 is low which leads to clipping..
I have owned both of them..

Usually ppl refer to the tuning of subs. Do these gadgets also help in tuning speakers ? Are the differences before and after tuning substantial for speakers ?
Is useful in tuning any speaker. REW will help you with speaker placement and also flatten the peaks if any. It is also extremely useful to see where the nulls lie, and help you treat your room accordingly.

REW is cumbersome, but not difficult to learn.
REW and miniDSP can save you from unnecessarily cycling your gear!

Yes, the results are great!

Check the prices on Diycart. If it’s working out to be considerably more than the miniDSP website then buy it directly from the miniDSP website.
Allocate for 42% duty in the price calculation if importing directly.

Is useful in tuning any speaker. REW will help you with speaker placement and also flatten the peaks if any. It is also extremely useful to see where the nulls lie, and help you treat your room accordingly.

Check the prices on Diycart. If it’s working out to be considerably more than the miniDSP website then buy it directly from the miniDSP website.
Can this be used in place of Audyssey in a HT set up ?

The 2*4 HD is a 2-in, 4-out device. So, won’t work as a replacement for Audyssey in a multichannel setup. Highly recommended for multi-sub integration, however.
Why are these used more in the context of subs ? Why dont ppl use it for speakers ? Even youtube reviewers or users talk about sub integration all the time

Why are these used more in the context of subs ? Why dont ppl use it for speakers ? Even youtube reviewers or users talk about sub integration all the time
The problem areas are mostly always in the lower frequencies. Without PEQ there will be booming issues in difficult rooms. When multiple subs are in play and are placed in different areas of a room, you need to adjust timing/delay, which is easily accomplished in miniDSP.

Just a basic question- if a speaker is more attenuated towards mid and low frequencies, can I used a minidsp to bump up the high frequencies to have a better HF response ? Is this kind of equalization better than a physical equalizer in the chain ?

Just a basic question- if a speaker is more attenuated towards mid and low frequencies, can I used a minidsp to bump up the high frequencies to have a better HF response ? Is this kind of equalization better than a physical equalizer in the chain ?
You can, and should be done carefully! Take care to not exceed the limits of your driver. Do you have a frequency response chart for your speaker?

You can buy from AvenueSound, they deal with minidsp products. I purchased from them. I am using 2x4hd for my dual sub setup in home theater. But this product can be used in many cases like you can use with active monitor speakers even in 2.1 channel setup or even for desktop setup . For home theater If you want to replace audyssey then you have to use an AVR with pre outs and you need to use Dirac series ddrc 88a so that you can use all preouts from AVR to 88a as input and use output from 88a to input for external amplifier. This way you can get Dirac room correction from non Dirac AVR.

Hi,

Just for subwoofer tuning you don't strickly require minidsp. You need a calibrated microphone that works with REW. Two types of microphone work

1) A usb mic like UMIK-1, dayton audio microphones like EMM-6. You save one step here by not having to calibrate your microphone but you have a premium of almost Rs 9000 to save this step. These are not some microphones of fantastic quality. It is just that they are calibrated to work with REW.
2) Borrow UMIK-1 and calibrate your own usb microphone which need not be as costly as UMIK-1, EMM-6
3) If you have an external soundcard like focusrite, then you can use any microphone, even costing in the Rs 1000 range, borrow any calibrated mic that works with REW and calibrate your ultra cheap microphone. If you want to avoid calibration then just like umik1 there are microphones that can be connected to focusrite that work with REW. This is the best way of calibrating as you get real good quality microphones with TRS out.

Then you need to run REW to measure the frequency response in your room. Once you have done all measurements you can decide to go for minidsp or adjust the subwoofer crossover point, subwoofer output level in the sub and your avr. This is my understanding. Members feel free to correct me if I'm wrong as I don't have any practical experience in this, but this is what I have gathered with the limited reading of various posts in this forum.

Last edited:
You can buy from AvenueSound, they deal with minidsp products. I purchased from them. I am using 2x4hd for my dual sub setup in home theater. But this product can be used in many cases like you can use with active monitor speakers even in 2.1 channel setup or even for desktop setup . For home theater If you want to replace audyssey then you have to use an AVR with pre outs and you need to use Dirac series ddrc 88a so that you can use all preouts from AVR to 88a as input and use output from 88a to input for external amplifier. This way you can get Dirac room correction from non Dirac AVR.
Thanks Srikanth can you also share your experience with KEF Q350 Spkrs

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back