Any old timers remember his rendition of Freedom and Just Like A Woman at Woodstock?

Re: Any old timers remember his rendition of Freedom and Just Like A Woman at Woodst

I'm referring to black singer Richie Havens who passed away yesterday at 72..

Re: Any old timers remember his rendition of Freedom and Just Like A Woman at Woodst

How can one not remember this "anthem"! Sad to see another legend go....

'Woodstock' from my days 1970, I saw it maybe thrice at Eros Bombay, I remember 'The Who, Alvin Lee, Joe Cocker, Joan Baez, Santana, Canned Heat and Richie Havens'. Great Music. I lost the LP somewhere.

When Woodstock record became available, I was a Boarder at Baldwins and we had a Record Player in the hostel and this wonderful Album.I cannot forget singers like Joan Baez(still my favorite), Richie Haven, Joe cocker, country joe,Arlo Guthrie,CSNY and many others. Woodstock has influenced my interest in music more than any other event.

Yes, Ritchie Havens' Freedom was one of the many stand out performances at Woodstock. Also featured in the recent film, "" Django Unchained ".

I'm not sure if I'm an old-timer yet, but his rendition of Freedom/Motherless Child is something that I've played back a few hundred times, at least. His set defines the essence of Woodstock for me. RIP.

P.S: Would've loved to have been around in the 60's...

Last edited:

I'm referring to black singer Richie Havens who passed away yesterday at 72..

The Concert that most defined a whole generation and many more that followed.I still have the 3 LP set released in India by Polydor. The SQ is not great but the music is fabulous.Saw Richie Havens's performance at Woodstock singing 'Freedom' a couple of days ago, in his Kurta, on U Tube.Saw the movie 3 times - the last instance in the now defunct Sangeet Theatre for a morning show, when the screen was virtually invisible, being obscured by clouds of smoke !!!

I am not really an old timer, but Richie Havens - Freedom live at woodstock was the song that got me looking for the artist long time ago.... such a superb performance, so intense..
That song was the main reason i got the woodstock double album on cd.
Even his version of Beatles - Here comes The Sun is one of my favourite infact the entire album 'Live At The Celler Door' is what i keep playing many times.
Now when i got a turntable, i went mad looking for his LP's, but not much luck.
Got my hands on his album 'Mixed Bag', and i couldnt believe how lively he sounds.
One of the best Voices ! What a legend... may his soul rest in peace.

KuruvillaJacob wrote
I was a Boarder at Baldwins

Was that B'lore ? Were you there around 65-67 ? I knew a Jacob Kuruvilla then. I was in the Jnr Dorm at the time and later with another Ritchie .... the famous in (BBHS)Ms Ritchie at the Middle dorm.

Last edited:

We old timers got to see Woodstock-The Movie in the early 70s when it came -in Bangalore I believe it was at Galaxy. Great memories-I have the BR of it now.

I remember seeing Woodstock at Galaxy with a live performance by a local band before the matinee. Incidentally, Soul Sacrifice and Summertime Blues were favourites of Bangalore bands of the 70's. Wonderful memories.

Yes,IIRC, the group was called The Trogs. I saw them performing at many "jam sessions " in those days.

Yes, Human Bondage, Spartans, Void (?) doing Who. Tull and LZ covers - great groups. Aaah - the nostalgia comes flooding in !

Human Bondage at Chinlung Restaurant at the bottom of Brigade Road...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back