Any PMC speaker owners here?

heliumflight

Hi Audiophiles,

Contemplating possibly getting a pair of PMC TB2's. What are the sonic qualities compared to say Dynaaudio 52?

Are these speakers for every type of music or which jaunre of music do they excel? I like my music to be involving and can vouch that the Sugden does that job precisely.

I know one cannot escape the laws of Physics, i.e a bigger driver in a bigger cabinet will get you more air displacement/movement. So my question is will the 6.5" driver have enough to get you deep tuneful bass? The technical specification say phenomenal bass response down to 40Hz. I researched on the net and found some info on PMC speaker using the transmisson line technology, but wanted a first hand experience of someone using PMC.

PMC Speakers

Looking forward for some healthy sharing of experiences...
--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET 2A3/ Sugden A21a> Highly modified Vintage B&W DM4 => MUSIC

Hi Helium,

I currently do not own PMC speakers, but i have owned FB1+ towers in past and also have good familiarity with DB1 bookshelf model.

These speakers do have their distinct sound signature due to TL and PMCs design etc. Most noticeable is the bass. They certainly go 'deeper' and 'lower' than a regular (non-TL) speaker, however, the bass is slightly different to what you would experience in a regular ported speaker. It has the impact and definition, but then it has a slight sustain, its like it hangs there for a while. Its difficult to describe, you would have to hear it to experience it.

Though it in no way affects the musicality of the speaker, in fact, these are one of the best sounding speakers i have heard in terms of clarity and tonality. It especially suits Jazz and similar music, normally they demo PMC speakers with Jazz. Not the best speakers for fast paced music e.g Rock or Techno.

PMC speakers are also excel in sound stage and imaging. Even the tiny DB1 can create a wide 3d sound stage with good quality amplification.

Hope that helps! :)

Hi Muben

Thanks for the info. Just adding few specific query -

For a 16'*12' room which PMC bookshelf suits better ?
What is " good amplification" - power ( how much?) or something else ?
If it is good except fast music , can we assume will sound good with classical ?

Regards

Hi Muben

Thanks for the info. Just adding few specific query -

For a 16'*12' room which PMC bookshelf suits better ?
What is " good amplification" - power ( how much?) or something else ?
If it is good except fast music , can we assume will sound good with classical ?

Regards

Hi there,

For your room size, i think DB1 or GB1 (towers) would be best. These might look small but are fairly 'large' sounding if you know what i mean.

By good amplification, i meant good quality amplification. Smaller PMC models are not power hungry and any decently powered amp will do as long as does justice to the quality of speakers. PMC speakers have open and seemingly bright treble response (less with 'i' series than the '+' series), so these normally pair best with slightly warm sounding amps.

I have personally used PMC speakers with Cambridge Audio amps and the pairing worked really well.

I know that PMC speakers sound wonderful with Jazz, so these should work really well with Classical too.

Cheers.

I've got a mail from PMC saying....

"We don't publish the frequency or impedance curves but I can assure you the speaker is technically capable and an easy load for any good quality amplifier. They are reasonable efficient so should produce good spl with your A2 without clipping".

I'll be pairing it with Sugden and hope this brings in the sweetness and mellownes in life!:eek:

I've got a mail from PMC saying....

"We don't publish the frequency or impedance curves but I can assure you the speaker is technically capable and an easy load for any good quality amplifier. They are reasonable efficient so should produce good spl with your A2 without clipping".

I'll be pairing it with Sugden and hope this brings in the sweetness and mellownes in life!:eek:

I have not had a chance to hear Sugden amplification, but these seem to be known for their warmth and sweetness, so sounds like a good match for PMC! Wish you all the best for getting new speakers :)

Btw, which model are you planning to get? Whats the price you have been quoted, if you dont mind sharing?

Thanks Mubeen for your good wishes. I'll be getting a pair of PMC TB2's this weekend. Buying a used pair @33K.

Hi Helium
On a recent trip to Kolkata I had a chance to listen to the Sugden amplifier at SKS. Though it was not warmed up enough but still got an inkling of what the Sugden sound was all about.
Best of luck.
Cheers
Himadri

Hi Helium
On a recent trip to Kolkata I had a chance to listen to the Sugden amplifier at SKS. Though it was not warmed up enough but still got an inkling of what the Sugden sound was all about.
Best of luck.
Cheers
Himadri

Himadri what speakers were they paired with? Describe the sound, please.

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET 2A3 + Highly modified Vintage B&W DM4 / Sugden A21a + PMC TB2> Lyrita ICs + Cables => MUSIC

Sumant, to know about PMC Sound, you could check with the active audiophiles in the NCR region. In one of the recent audiophile meets @Sid's place, everyone present were impressed with the PMC's signature and capabilities.

Sumant, to know about PMC Sound, you could check with the active audiophiles in the NCR region. In one of the recent audiophile meets @Sid's place, everyone present were impressed with the PMC's signature and capabilities.

Yep Santhosh, I read that post about the meet on audiophile.net and have to say that I was very impressed with the PMC TL sound. It is like bass notes were suspended in the air. But don't get mistaken, it does not interfere with the other frequencies. PMC blends with the Sugden so wonderfully. What I have learnt, it is all about synergy and building your system around that only.

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET Amp 2A3 + Highly modified Vintage B&W DM4 Speaker / Sugden A21a amp + PMC TB2 Speaker > Lyrita ICs + Cables => MUSIC

Himadri what speakers were they paired with? Describe the sound, please.
Sumant
It was the Se model. The word that comes to my mind is rich.(The midrange specifically and tonally).
I was looking for bass and drivability issues but could not find any notable discrepancies.We AB ed with a Cayin tube but the cayin sounded harsher.
I did not have much time on my hands, so quickly we tried out 3 sets of speakers.
Quad bookshelf, entry level Dali (Mentor floorstander -I had some previous experience of it ), and Mordant Short Aviano 6. SKS did not have any higher end speaker. All speakers had sensitivity 88-90db and seemed to be fairly easy loads.
The Aviano sounded the best - possibly because it was the most laid back and refined among the lot. Possibility exists that as the amp got warmer , the rough edges would go and the Quad would have matched better but I was hard pressed for time.
I did not have any of my music so we tried out only hindustani classical.( I did not trust SKS's pop , rock collection and they did not have any notable jazz.)
The source was the Sugden CD player .
The demo room was smallish.
OVERALL
Smallish room, reasonably near field listening, warm source and speakers with fairly easy loads- tough to beat Sugden.
I also had my friend with me for the demo - who has Usher pre/power + Usher MD2
My system Denon Pma2000 ivr+ Usher MD1
My friend also concurs with the above.
Cheers

Hi Sumant
Has the PMC been installed?
Would like to hear your impressions on the Sugden + PMC combination
Cheers
Himadri

Hi Sumant
Has the PMC been installed?
Would like to hear your impressions on the Sugden + PMC combination
Cheers
Himadri

Yes, sorry for the delay in replying back. Needed time to understand over an extended listening on all types of music. I biwired them and the results are...........

Huge sound stage with big low bass. Voice region is beautifully neutral and uncoloured, with masses of information and detail, but I felt it was not as detailed in my B&W DM4. The overall sound is very well balanced, perhaps favouring a slightly 'laid back' character and they have the same fatigue-free natural sound, allowing hours of pleasurable listening. The sound excels in music such as Smooth Jazz, Blues, Pop, Clssical Rock, Classical. But don't mistake me they sound just as wonderful in Hard Rock. Just a different presenation!;)

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Sugden A21a + PMC TB2 > Lyrita ICs + Cables => MUSIC

Congrats Sumant
Enjoy.The PMC specs say 90db with recommended amp power 40-150 watts.
Any issues at higher SPLs with the Sugden?
Cheers
Himadri

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back