Any software to rename movie files/ folders with IMDB ratings and other info etc?

snorkel4u

Hi there,

I have a sooo many movies on my HDD and I was looking for a better way to manage them.

Currently I have made directories like A-B-C, D-E-F and place movies into respective folders with the starting alphabet of the movie file.

Problem is, some movies are in the root directory as a single AVI files, while some are in folders with .nfo file and subs etc with the folder name same/ not same as the movie name.

I was wondering if there is a program which could scan all my movies in/ outside folders and then rename the file_name or Folder_name with the IMDB rating in the end?

An alternate would be tagging the AVI files, but not sure if that would be helpful in being deducted by the media player? I use a AC Ryan PlayON HD media player.

Can the media player detect tags? If not, then is there any program which could help suffice the above purpose?

Don't think so. IMDB's data is proprietary and it can't be used for commercial software. Not unless it it authorized by imdb, in which case it would cost a lot. So no one has tried doing that I guess.

Don't think so. IMDB's data is proprietary and it can't be used for commercial software. Not unless it it authorized by imdb, in which case it would cost a lot. So no one has tried doing that I guess.

IMDB, as far as I aware, is not proprietary. It is like Wikipedia and anyone can add and edit movie information. Zapitti and TViX software use IMDB data and download it onto your machine. Even PowerDVD uses IMDB data.

Cheers

IMDB, as far as I aware, is not proprietary. It is like Wikipedia and anyone can add and edit movie information. Zapitti and TViX software use IMDB data and download it onto your machine. Even PowerDVD uses IMDB data.

Cheers

Not sure about the exact circumstances under which you can use imdb data, but it is proprietary for sure. For instace, crawling and data mining is definitely prohibited. IMDb Copyright and Conditions of Use. For really free and open data, you need to use something like TMDb — The open movie database which is completely free and open. I had thought of something like this a while ago. About how it would be so swell if there were a file organizer which would automatically get meta data from the md5 data and/or other hashes of files on your disk, and facilitate creation of custom queries/filters. Like you can search for movies between timelines, or based on genres, actors, imdb ratings etc., and various intersections of these filters. The key challenge would be to have a main database with the mappings of md5 hashes(or some other unique identifier) to movie names, and the ability to get meta data about the movies from something like imdb. Does something like that exist?

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the above inputs.. I just thought to make this thread alive.. coz I am still looking for an app like this..

MDB Downloads Art, Ratings, and Other IMDB Data for Your Movie Collection with a Right-Click

screenshot-new.png

Windows/Linux: IMDB is a great reference tool if you'd like to learn more about the movies in your collection, and MDB is a simple application that will scan a folder full of movies and display each film's IMDB information in an easy-to-read GUI. You can scan each film's rating, poster art, director, major actors, year of production, and more, even a plot synopsis, all in one window.
What makes MDB really unique is that it can sift through even oddly named and parsed movie names and file names to determine what the actual film in the file is really called. It's a tiny, lightweight shell application, and it only pulls up the UI when you right-click on a folder full of movies and ask it to analyze them. Some home theatre apps have this functionality built-in, but if you're not interested in installing one of them just to scan through a folder full of movies to decide what to fire up in VLC, MDB is a perfect tool.

MDB is free, fast, and works through proxies, so it'll work just about anywhere. ...

Direct Link to SW: MDB - Movie Dir Browser

MDB (MovieDirBrowser) - a cool way to visualize your movie collection and decide which movie to watch next! Run MDB on a folder or a set of files/folders and it downloads imdb data for all movie files found and shows it in a nice GUI.

Plex and XBMC can do a lot of what this software can do, but if you want just a tool that will give you the info you need, without having to install XBMC (like me) this looks really good.

PS: I know I'm bumping up an old thread. I didn't want to start a new thread for sharing this.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back