Any thoughts or feedback on MrSpeakers MadDog?

asliarun

I am thinking of buying MrSpeakers Mad Dog. And they are in stock.

I'm fairly new to the headphone game. Has anyone heard these headphones? I am also planning to buy blind based on reviews as I have no clue where to audition/listen to them (I live in Evanston near Chicago).

And any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive headphone amp and DAC? These headphones are supposed to be relatively easy to drive but will still need a small amp at least.

I mostly listen to classic rock, occasional metal, alternative, acoustic, and electronica (bands like Radiohead). And after listening to so many off the shelf Philips models, I want to get a model that I can listen to for a long time and for long stretches of time, and that will not break as well.

i was almost there for the foxtex T50 modded by Mad Dog which as quoted sounds very good. what you are looking is a 120$ headphone modded and praised for its abilities. i do not have first hands experience with the modded ones but it can be a love or hate thing.
i see you are in chicago. a lot of Head-fi guys are around that area. you can give them a try. i would be a bit skeptical to invest 3 times the price of the actual product.

also to add i would suggest you get a new HE-400 which retails about same price infact 40-50$ cheaper else if you have more room hit the mark with the he-500 else look for used he-500 for budget contraint.. either shall keep you happy but 500's are a diffrent league all together hence the price diffrence..

remember mods can make or break a thing. in case of tp50 many have given positive reviews but then you's need a lot of tinkering to reach there with other stuff in the chain equally good. also people reported velour pads to be on stiffer side and more bass.
if thats what you are looking for you can go ahead but try to get an audition. i believe getting on head-fi will open new doors for portable audio for you and easy access to test listen a variety of headphones..

Thanks once again! I will check out the he-400 and he-500 as well. And will also get on headfi ads you suggest.

By the way, do you have any recommendations for an amp and DAC?

Thanks once again! I will check out the he-400 and he-500 as well. And will also get on headfi ads you suggest.

By the way, do you have any recommendations for an amp and DAC?

amps and dac are completely dependent on the sound signature you would want. Dac's are a wide spread topic and very confusing. if going for low impedance headphone.. try out tube HP amps if going for high impedance then go for Solid state.

the only constraint is budget :D

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back