Anybody in Chennai with a SpyderX?

shankarcams

Hi. I was wondering if there is anyone in Chennai with a Spyder X that I can borrow to set up my Projector?

Thanks

Hi Shankar

Let me say that SpyderX is not a good probe. You may use it for Gamma only calibration, if you are going to use JVC Autocal. But it is not recommended for Color/Gamut calibration.

See if you can arrange an X-Rite i1Display Pro (or i1Display Pro Plus). This colorimeter is now also available under Calibrite branding.

Ideally, the colorimeter should be profiled to a spectrometer for high accuracy in color measurements. If you can arrange a spectro, you can even use it directly for Color/Gamut calibration with JVC Autocal.

When you don't have a spectro, you can use display specific spectral sample files (ccss/edr) to get more accurate readings when using an i1Display Pro or Spyder4/5 but not SpyderX). I have created ccss & edr files for JVC NX9 projector and shared it here. [If you get a spectro, it is still better to profile the i1Display Pro to that.]

I should mention that for best calibration results, a 'proper' 3DLUT based calibration is required. And to load a 3DLUT in the processing chain, a video processor (like a Lumagen Radiance Pro) or a LUT box is typically needed.

Hi Shankar

Let me say that SpyderX is not a good probe. You may use it for Gamma only calibration, if you are going to use JVC Autocal. But it is not recommended for Color/Gamut calibration.

See if you can arrange an X-Rite i1Display Pro (or i1Display Pro Plus). This colorimeter is now also available under Calibrite branding.

Ideally, the colorimeter should be profiled to a spectrometer for high accuracy in color measurements. If you can arrange a spectro, you can even use it directly for Color/Gamut calibration with JVC Autocal.

When you don't have a spectro, you can use display specific spectral sample files (ccss/edr) to get more accurate readings when using an i1Display Pro or Spyder4/5 but not SpyderX). I have created ccss & edr files for JVC NX9 projector and shared it here. [If you get a spectro, it is still better to profile the i1Display Pro to that.]

I should mention that for best calibration results, a 'proper' 3DLUT based calibration is required. And to load a 3DLUT in the processing chain, a video processor (like a Lumagen Radiance Pro) or a LUT box is typically needed.
Thank you. It is indeed for a JVC, and they, as you have correctly pointed out, have recommended SpyderX or X rite1.

The X is a lot more expensive not sure I will get someone to give me a loaner. At worst I would buy a SpyderX.

I am awaiting a Madvr Envy so a 3DLUT is possible. But I would certainly like a professional to calibrate it.

My ideal is to get a calibration service, who will bring all the instruments, calibrate and leave me to it. The US has many but unable to find someone in Chennai or even India.

Thank you. It is indeed for a JVC, and they, as you have correctly pointed out, have recommended SpyderX or X rite1.

The X is a lot more expensive not sure I will get someone to give me a loaner. At worst I would buy a SpyderX.

I am awaiting a Madvr Envy so a 3DLUT is possible. But I would certainly like a professional to calibrate it.

My ideal is to get a calibration service, who will bring all the instruments, calibrate and leave me to it. The US has many but unable to find someone in Chennai or even India.
X rite i1 display pro plus costs under 30k..( its affordable )

I have it..
But learning to calibrate isn't that easy..
It takes a lot of time.. buy it only if you are ready to spend more than 50 hours learning to calibrate, unless there is an option to auto calibrate.

X rite i1 display pro plus costs under 30k..( its affordable )

I have it..
But learning to calibrate isn't that easy..
It takes a lot of time.. buy it only if you are ready to spend more than 50 hours learning to calibrate, unless there is an option to auto calibrate.

I believe Shankar needs an X-Rite i1pro2 and not i1 display pro for jvc autocal Color calibration. I used a Spyder X Pro to calibrate my NX5 using autocal software and it definitely improved the image quality. I used it for Color calibration too and I would say that it did a decent job except for a tad too reddish picture which is a known limitation.

I searched around, but couldn’t find a decent deal for i1pro2 in India. It is supposedly available on eBay (used) for cheap in the US.

As prateekatasniya said, getting the calibration tool is one thing, learning to calibrate is another, and having or developing an "eye" for images is yet another. At best I can get the tool. I don't think I will ever see so many displays and images that I can get an intuitive understanding of what a good image should be (unlike in audio where over the years I have developed an understanding, or at least a preference).

It is best I find a calibrator who knows his subject. It is yet another matter how to determine if he/she indeed knows the subject!

I have both a SpyderX and i1Display Pro (unopened boxes because I haven't had the time to calibrate my JVC). There is a hack that allows autocal to use i1DP to calibrate JVC's (details of the hack is on AVS) - this makes it super simple to use. SpiderX for Gamma and i1DP for the rest.

I am based out of Bangalore. If anybody wants to collaborate and do this together, I am happy to do that.

Also, I have a madVR setup using my dedicated HTPC - still need to update the graphics card from 1070Ti, but works ok on conservative settings.

I have both a SpyderX and i1Display Pro (unopened boxes because I haven't had the time to calibrate my JVC). There is a hack that allows autocal to use i1DP to calibrate JVC's (details of the hack is on AVS) - this makes it super simple to use. SpiderX for Gamma and i1DP for the rest.

I am based out of Bangalore. If anybody wants to collaborate and do this together, I am happy to do that.

Also, I have a madVR setup using my dedicated HTPC - still need to update the graphics card from 1070Ti, but works ok on conservative settings.
If the madvr htpc is the only source then you would be better placed to just profile the projector and load a 3dLut in madvr

If the madvr htpc is the only source then you would be better placed to just profile the projector and load a 3dLut in madvr
it is one of the sources - also have a shield, atv 4k (not in use) and a cable box (not in use).

Will be great if there are other folks in Bangalore who want to collaborate on this.

attached here is a small guide i put togeather taking post of several knowledgeable avs forum members when i was keen on learning the jvc autocal , hope its of some use . also if your are invested in taking your htpc to the next level , google a project called videoprocessor it may be of some interest to you

Attachments

• jvc autocal settings .pdf
    297.6 KB · Views: 14
attached here is a small guide i put togeather taking post of several knowledgeable avs forum members when i was keen on learning the jvc autocal , hope its of some use . also if your are invested in taking your htpc to the next level , google a project called videoprocessor it may be of some interest to you
I have been tracking videprocessor since its inception. Planning to get a mini capture card at some time. I also have a HDFury Vertex that I plan on using for LLDV. I want to get the basics working as a source before I go about getting a capture card and going down that rabbits hole :)

Thanks for guide - will go over it!

Very useful! Thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back