Anyone has experience/used Benq W6000, Epson Pro Cinema 9500UB?

eummagic

Hi all,

I wonder if any of our members have experience/used these projectors - Benq W6000 (DLP) and Epson Pro Cinema 9500UB (LCD).

Have read reviews in projectorreviews.com for Benq W6k vs 8500UB and both are neck to neck and its upto users taste & preference to decide which one to choose.

Comparison Benq W6000 Vs Epson 8500UB. As the title says 9500UB, but 8500UB is no different from 9500UB except for a few features added to its cap.

I am now planning for a more immersive screen size i.e 12ft wide x 5ft height projected onto Acoustic Transparent Curved screen and using an anamorphic lens to achieve 2.37:1 aspect ratio.

NB: My dedicated HT room size as already mentioned in my earlier thread is 14.6ft (W) x 21.6ft(L) x 10ft(H) with no windows and total dark.

Prices from other sources are as below.

Epson Pro Cinema 9500UB = $2800
Benq W6000 = $2399

So, a light canon is definitely required to light up that big screen area throwing a decent picture quality.

Your comments/suggestion on these pls...

Hi,

I have a Epson Pro Cinema 8500UB and the image quality is outstanding. My room size is similar to yours and totally dark as well. Presently im using my wall with a slight coat of putty and then painted with a light grey emulsion paint. The colours,Contrast ratio,brightness are all exceptional. As far as Benq im not sure.However Im sure 9500 UB will be a better option if you want to use an anamorphic lens. But for me this is quite good and im loving it.

Hope this helps?

I have the W6000 since last few days and loving it, and you can repeat what muradasa7 said about epson's performance for it:)

The Epson does not have enough brightness for 144" size you have. Just read the second last para of the comparison link you posted. At your size you will be starting with less than 9 ftl.

Is the 9500 equivalent even available here? Consider warranty if you are intending to import.

Hi,

I have a Epson Pro Cinema 8500UB and the image quality is outstanding. My room size is similar to yours and totally dark as well. Presently im using my wall with a slight coat of putty and then painted with a light grey emulsion paint. The colours,Contrast ratio,brightness are all exceptional. As far as Benq im not sure.However Im sure 9500 UB will be a better option if you want to use an anamorphic lens. But for me this is quite good and im loving it.

Hope this helps?

Thanks, Since you have the advantage of projecting onto the wall and as you said the room size is similar to mine. Is it possible for you to test by increasing the screen size say 12ft(w) x 6 or 6.5ft(h) and update how the image perform in dark environment. As said, 8500UB is an excellent projector, unfortunately it lacks support for anamorphic lens so I have to remove from my list. 9500UB does support this feature and have certain improvements and PQ same as 8500UB, so thought if 8500UB can do it definitely 9500UB can.

Last edited:
I have the W6000 since last few days and loving it, and you can repeat what muradasa7 said about epson's performance for it:)

The Epson does not have enough brightness for 144" size you have. Just read the second last para of the comparison link you posted. At your size you will be starting with less than 9 ftl.

Is the 9500 equivalent even available here? Consider warranty if you are intending to import.

Thanks, Iam just thinking in those lines. Benq W6k is a light cannon and is in my top of the list until after CEDIA expo if any models are revealed performing better. Just waiting for it, meanwhile I heard there is Benq W6000+ coming up with some improved features. Iam still not able to get a link on that but only from other forums.

BTW, can you please comment on the color wheel speed of Benq and any rainbow effect you see while viewing. Also pls tell us about your screen size/aspect ratio/type etc.?

BTW, can you please comment on the color wheel speed of Benq and any rainbow effect you see while viewing. Also pls tell us about your screen size/aspect ratio/type etc.?

I have Black Diamond .8 100" 2.35 Curved screen.

Just watched about 20 odd hours, I did not see any rainbows yet. Though I only projecting 16:9 in the middle of screen, once the size is full screen with lens in place, this may or may not change.

Also, I am sure I can see rainbows with business projectors.

I have Black Diamond .8 100" 2.35 Curved screen.

Just watched about 20 odd hours, I did not see any rainbows yet. Though I only projecting 16:9 in the middle of screen, once the size is full screen with lens in place, this may or may not change.

Also, I am sure I can see rainbows with business projectors.

BD 0.8 - have heard good reviews about it and seems to be an excellent screen. I believe they have introduced the BD 1.4 ver.II. Whats the price you paid and forgot to ask the Benq, whether you bought it in India & cost?

Curved? which means you should be using the anamorphic lens, would like to know more about your setup/lens make/cost?

If you can provide info regarding dealers for Benq / anamorphic lens...

BD 0.8 - have heard good reviews about it and seems to be an excellent screen. I believe they have introduced the BD 1.4 ver.II. ...
Yes, this is also 0.8 II. My screen is in the living room, no light control, and the picture is plasma like, in fact better. My 50" plasma used to reflect lights off the background like anything, but on BD its only some loss in contrast, no reflections.
I imported it through a friend in the US, about 250k all inclusive of duties etc..
Benq is through Benq India, about 141k + tax, came to 160k to me in Bangalore. I'll pm you the contact details.

Curved? which means you should be using the anamorphic lens, would like to know more about your setup/lens make/cost?

Yes, I will use a lens. Its Prismasonic HD5000, b-stock sale, imported from AV Science, about 122k net. The lens will be here in a couple of days.

Yes, this is also 0.8 II. My screen is in the living room, no light control, and the picture is plasma like, in fact better. My 50" plasma used to reflect lights off the background like anything, but on BD its only some loss in contrast, no reflections.
I imported it through a friend in the US, about 250k all inclusive of duties etc..
Benq is through Benq India, about 141k + tax, came to 160k to me in Bangalore. I'll pm you the contact details.

Yes, I will use a lens. Its Prismasonic HD5000, b-stock sale, imported from AV Science, about 122k net. The lens will be here in a couple of days.

Oh, thats seems pretty expensive for my budget reach especially for the screen & lens. I had enquired with CAVX MK3 @ $1326.36 AUD which is directly shipped to India. And, when I contacted them regarding the effect of customs duty. They told that they will show lesser invoice value and label as gift which should bypass these hurdles - Not sure how this is going to work. Also, have contacted Panamorph and waiting for the prices.

I believe you should be excited with a mini theatre presentation @ your home with your kind of setup. Being jealous of you man:D

hey yrk
that looks like some serious expense on the screen and lens. iam super jealous too!
but very excited at the same time. good luck with it :)

Oh, thats seems pretty expensive for my budget reach especially for the screen & lens. I had enquired with CAVX MK3 @ $1326.36 AUD which is directly shipped to India. And, when I contacted them regarding the effect of customs duty. They told that they will show lesser invoice value and label as gift which should bypass these hurdles - Not sure how this is going to work. Also, have contacted Panamorph and waiting for the prices.

I believe you should be excited with a mini theatre presentation @ your home with your kind of setup. Being jealous of you man:D

hey buddy
do they offer discounts for group buy? it would be worth checking
regards
jitu

Thanks, Since you have the advantage of projecting onto the wall and as you said the room size is similar to mine. Is it possible for you to test by increasing the screen size say 12ft(w) x 6 or 6.5ft(h) and update how the image perform in dark environment. As said, 8500UB is an excellent projector, unfortunately it lacks support for anamorphic lens so I have to remove from my list. 9500UB does support this feature and have certain improvements and PQ same as 8500UB, so thought if 8500UB can do it definitely 9500UB can.

I did and the colour and brightness when fully dark were excellent! But since you are particular about the anamorphic lens the 9500UB is a gr8 buy! Btw did you check the panny AE4000?

Oh, thats seems pretty expensive for my budget reach especially for the screen & lens. I had enquired with CAVX MK3 @ $1326.36 AUD which is directly shipped to India. And, when I contacted them regarding the effect of customs duty. They told that they will show lesser invoice value and label as gift which should bypass these hurdles - Not sure how this is going to work. Also, have contacted Panamorph and waiting for the prices....

Probably that would save you $300-400. I am also not sure how it will go with Customs.

If you are going with Mk3, you might as well as add the correction element. With the correction element it would be same 5 element design as HD5000.

And thanks, now only if I could get some extended free time to enjoy it. I already spent the vacation in moving to my new place and setup.

I did and the colour and brightness when fully dark were excellent! But since you are particular about the anamorphic lens the 9500UB is a gr8 buy! Btw did you check the panny AE4000?

Thanks for the update, I have not seen Pana4k in action and in the look out especially in Cochin. But everyone says that its not bright enough for screens >130" diagonal.

Probably that would save you $300-400. I am also not sure how it will go with Customs.

If you are going with Mk3, you might as well as add the correction element. With the correction element it would be same 5 element design as HD5000.

And thanks, now only if I could get some extended free time to enjoy it. I already spent the vacation in moving to my new place and setup.

I have another option to bring it thro' my friend from US but before hand just trying to get the info about the customs. Right now, correction lens is not in stock with them and can be added in future @ $799AUD that brings to $2125.36AUD alltogether.

Enjoy! and thanks for the info pal....:eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
I am using Epson 8500UB with 120" screen and found it very good. It has got stunning image quality and very happy with it's performance. Sorry brother not having much idea about anomorphic lens. I got this projector from US during my last visit and din faced any problem with customs.

This projector is very bulky and you need to carry in your hand baggage with immense care by bubble wrapping it.

Last edited:
I am using Epson 8500UB with 120" screen and found it very good. It has got stunning image quality and very happy with it's performance. Sorry brother not having much idea about anomorphic lens. I got this projector from US during my last visit and din faced any problem with customs.

This projector is very bulky and you need to carry in your hand baggage with immense care by bubble wrapping it.

Thanks, pls do tell us about your HT room setup/lighting conditions etc.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back