Anyone heard the new kef R series

newlash09

There seems to be nothing but universal praise for these new generation R series speakers. Apparently they give 85 to 90% of the reference series sound at 1/3 rd the price. Was wondering if anyone heard them so far . Thanks :)

I heard R3 briefly at ProFx showroom a couple of months ago.
Setup was not ideal. But the mids/highs I felt were a bit better than R300 that I own.
Bass, I honestly could not do an assessment because of crowded setup.
Sound stage was really wide with the expected KEF centering.

They do claim quite a bit of trickle down tech from Reference series.
If you get a chance, it is definitely worth a serious listening.
Price apart, if one digs KEF sound, this new avatar will be quite a hit.

Cheers,
Raghu

R300 was almost 50% more expensive than the LS50 (don't forget that it has 3 drivers)
Expect similar pricing for the new R.

BTW has anyone compared the Q and the R back to back?
I vaguely remember them sounding similar when I purchased my Q but now the upgrade bug is itching :)

R300 was almost 50% more expensive than the LS50 (don't forget that it has 3 drivers)
Expect similar pricing for the new R.

BTW has anyone compared the Q and the R back to back?
I vaguely remember them sounding similar when I purchased my Q but now the upgrade bug is itching :)
OK. Thanks. FM Raghu owns R300, he must've done an A/B with Q

I heard R3 briefly at ProFx showroom a couple of months ago.
Setup was not ideal. But the mids/highs I felt were a bit better than R300 that I own.
Bass, I honestly could not do an assessment because of crowded setup.
Sound stage was really wide with the expected KEF centering.

They do claim quite a bit of trickle down tech from Reference series.
If you get a chance, it is definitely worth a serious listening.
Price apart, if one digs KEF sound, this new avatar will be quite a hit.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience Raghu :)

I've only ever heard the kef LS50 actives and liked them. They were clear and transparent. So ever since kef has also been on my radar for my next speaker upgrade, whenever that is :D

The R11 seems to be right up my alley, as Iam a bass head and can't live without it. I guess I can audition them profx. Will give it a try this time, more out of curiosity than a outright purchase. Thanks again :)

Is the pricing of new R series on par with LS50?

Oh no. The new R series is expensive. In India:
- R3 is 1.85L list price
- R300 was 1.20L list price
- LS50 is 1.0L list price

OK. Thanks. FM Raghu owns R300, he must've done an A/B with Q
I have auditioned the older Q-series seriously. Almost had decided on their FS.
R series was expensive and at the time the dealer did not have R300 for listening.
Only the R700. They were definitely a big step up from Q-series FS at the time.
Over time, have listened to Q-300, Q-350, LS50, R300 (own these), LS50W and R3 (briefly)

The R series is a serious player in terms of bass, punch and overall performance.
LS50 is for music only and it is a true monitor.
My choice of R300 over LS50 was dictated by the fact that I needed some thing for HT too.
3-way design and that woofer makes a difference and nails the brief for music and HT.
Please bear in mind that R series (old and new) love power.

Cheers,
Raghu

Please bear in mind that R series (old and new) love power
OK. This is something that I had observed with Q as well. You can easily drive a Marantz PM600x to clipping, though their (Q300) min specification starts at 15W

@newlash09
If auditioning at ProFx, it will leave you confused. In the Bangalore showroom I have always felt they don't pair KEFs with the right amplification.
The R series shine with good clean power amps.
If possible, carry your Krell (the beast), then you'll know how the KEFs can sing, rock and roll and peel plaster of the walls :)
All of the R-series need space around them (3 feet min), otherwise they get rowdy.
Cheers,
Raghu

@newlash09
If auditioning at ProFx, it will leave you confused. In the Bangalore showroom I have always felt they don't pair KEFs with the right amplification.
The R series shine with good clean power amps.
If possible, carry your Krell (the beast), then you'll know how the KEFs can sing, rock and roll and peel plaster of the walls :)
All of the R-series need space around them (3 feet min), otherwise they get rowdy.
Cheers,
Raghu

Great...thanks for that tip :)

I've never been inside of a gym, but have become a proper weight lifter after getting into this hobby. I can easily lug a 38 kg power amp, but can't carry 20 kgs of groceries some how :)

Will definitely take my amp along or maybe the lighter parasound to my audition. Do you think the R11 with its 4 x 6.5 inch bass drivers be a overkill in my 15x14 ft room. I can provide 3 ft of space all around. But don't want to end up with bass problems :)

My present pmc speakers work really well in my room. They go down clean to 23hz in my room, with absolutely no bass boom or over hangs. That is the only reason I've stuck with them this long. Will be curious to give the R series a spin, as some senior UK forum members who already own the kef ref3 and ref5, came away very impressed with R series on auditioning them. As per them, the R series provides a hefty slice of the pristine sound quality of the ref series, at a fraction of the cost. And they believe the new R series is a gaint leap from kef. And nothing in and around their price range, can even touch them in sound quality at the moment. This is what has got me super excited with the R series :)

HINT will also definitely be better than what dealer may have.
Since it is an IA there is no second guessing the preamp too; you'll be in control of the equipment signature.

PMC if I remember are TL. So their reaction/response to the room will be quite different than others.
Even with the smallest box, R300 I felt they are picky about room and placement.

You can listen at showroom and then coax dealer to bring them home.
It is a high priced speaker and ProFx guys may just oblige to a home demo.
With 4 bass drivers, guesswork on room reaction is not worth it.

Cheers,
Raghu

I believe R5 like the R500 uses smaller bass drivers.
Cheers,
Raghu
Yes they are but then there is kef r7 too 2×6.5 bass driver. I am using r3 in small room 12×14 and never felt they need huge space, kept around just half feet away from all wall.

My present pmc speakers work really well in my room. They go down clean to 23hz in my room, with absolutely no bass boom or over hangs. That is the only reason I've stuck with them this long. Will be curious to give the R series a spin, as some senior UK forum members who already own the kef ref3 and ref5, came away very impressed with R series on auditioning them. As per them, the R series provides a hefty slice of the pristine sound quality of the ref series, at a fraction of the cost. And they believe the new R series is a gaint leap from kef. And nothing in and around their price range, can even touch them in sound quality at the moment. This is what has got me super excited with the R series :)
Your PMCs with transmission line design will give excellent low end with no boom bass. KEFs might need larger room, my FS Q500 used to create bass issues with 5.5inch drivers in a similar size room as yours. Please try for a home demo, if you're planning to change

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions. Will surely try to coax profx for an in room audition in my place. Will first try in their showroom with my own amplification. If Iam suitably impressed, then will insist on an at home audition. As raghu correctly advised, not worth taking risks with guess work regarding bass. As it is the most difficult to treat :)

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions. Will surely try to coax profx for an in room audition in my place. Will first try in their showroom with my own amplification. If Iam suitably impressed, then will insist on an at home audition. As raghu correctly advised, not worth taking risks with guess work regarding bass. As it is the most difficult to treat :)
ProFx Bangalore, in the past, were open to home audition.
With the kind of monies these speakers cost, they will accommodate.
You can truly do a side-by-side comparison in native environs.
Cheers,
Raghu

Yes they are but then there is kef r7 too 2×6.5 bass driver. I am using r3 in small room 12×14 and never felt they need huge space, kept around just half feet away from all wall.
Using the foam bungs?
I could never get the R300 to behave close to the wall.
Luckily I have sort of an open floor plan even though I sit about 7-8 feet away with a reflecting wall at the back.
If you have not already, try bringing them a couple of feet into the room, bass really firms up and starts gelling well with the rest of the content.
Cheers,
Raghu

<snip>
I've never been inside of a gym, but have become a proper weight lifter after getting into this hobby. I can easily lug a 38 kg power amp, but can't carry 20 kgs of groceries some how :)
<snip>
Music is your hobby and relaxation pursuit. So extra adrenaline will pump you up to lug amps.
On the groceries comment, I have always suspected potatoes and rice bags create their own extra gravity :p
Cheers,
Raghu

Please do a home audition before you decide. I feel the KEF will be a sideways move ( in terms of resolving capability in mids and highs ) since you already have a really good speaker from PMC which comes with a stellar midrange driver. If you crave more quality bass, why not consider couple of subs from the likes of REL, Rhythmic etc ? This will open up the mids also.

You have a class A krell beast. I am sure it will all work well together if you connect the RELs using the high level speaker inputs.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back