Anyone seen IR or Burn in issue with 51D550 plasma

madhavk8

I just bought Samsung 51D550. I want to know if anyone has encountered Image Retention or burn in issues with 51D550 plasma ??? If so what way to prevent it.

i wanted to ask a pretty similar question,
I have narrowed down to the Sammy and along with another member and we will be buying it the coming weekend.

Burn- in , Image Retention is always an issue with a plasma atleast during the first crucial 500-1000hours of operation

The below source should help you in preventing a burn in

What is plasma burn-in, and how to fight it

Cheers
-F l a s h

IR / Burn-in not an issue in 2011 models.

I accidently left my panny plasma on for ~8 hrs on Tata Sky Channel 100. No Issues (apart from wasted electricty running my Onkyo pumping out to the tune of Tata Sky, and TV being on). TS Channel 100 is just static banner of various offers, and at times ads being played in loop. It also has Tata sky logo on the bottom right.

There was a powercut at our apartment, and everything was on. I forgot to turn off the switch, and hence everything turned back on when me and my wifey were at office.

Allajunaki

Haa we have all been in that situation .
Power goes off and we forget to put of our equipment. I once went out of town after a similar instance only to come back after 2 days to see my TV/ AC on .
Bad part. - Electricity Wastage
Good part - Came back to a nice and cold Bedroom.

On a serious note.
I am planning on picking up the Sammy 51d550. i'm gonna get it connected to TATA sky.
Tata Sky does have a transparent background logo, irrespective of which channel you are on .Would this create a problem of Burn-in. ?

IR / Burn-in not an issue in 2011 models.

I accidently left my panny plasma on for ~8 hrs on Tata Sky Channel 100. No Issues (apart from wasted electricty running my Onkyo pumping out to the tune of Tata Sky, and TV being on). TS Channel 100 is just static banner of various offers, and at times ads being played in loop. It also has Tata sky logo on the bottom right.

There was a powercut at our apartment, and everything was on. I forgot to turn off the switch, and hence everything turned back on when me and my wifey were at office.

Thanks . I just bought 51D550 on saturday and am really happy with it. But still i am planning to be careful and break it in for 200 hours properly just to be sure.

Congrats Madhavk on your purchase :licklips:

Thanks. PQ is incredible. Also the 51 inches seem pretty big at home and give a real theatre experience and the colors are very natural. Even though i have reduced the brightness and contrast to below 50 that too in movie mode, still it looks bright and vibrant.

Thanks. PQ is incredible. Also the 51 inches seem pretty big at home and give a real theatre experience and the colors are very natural. Even though i have reduced the brightness and contrast to below 50 that too in movie mode, still it looks bright and vibrant.

Lol.. The TVs look puny in showroom filled with lots of (often bigger) TVs around them.. Its hard to visualize how much big they will look in the house.

Lol.. The TVs look puny in showroom filled with lots of (often bigger) TVs around them.. Its hard to visualize how much big they will look in the house.

Same happened to me when I bought refrigerator (>400L) few months before. It looked puny against other refrigerators in the store. At home it looks huge. good thing is it consumes way less electricity than a 20 yr 165L Godrej I had. I will be utilising this drop in extra power a plasma consumes :)

Coming back to TVs, I am sure same will happen to me again!

Same happened to me when I bought refrigerator (>400L) few months before. It looked puny against other refrigerators in the store. At home it looks huge. good thing is it consumes way less electricity than a 20 yr 165L Godrej I had. I will be utilising this drop in extra power a plasma consumes :)

Coming back to TVs, I am sure same will happen to me again!

Haaa . same here . offsetting my savings on CFL's , fridge etc for a plasma.
Waiting for delivery , my 51d550 should be at my place on Thursday / Friday.
I guess 64l seemed a pretty sweet deal for it in Pune atleast

Haaa . same here . offsetting my savings on CFL's , fridge etc for a plasma.
Waiting for delivery , my 51d550 should be at my place on Thursday / Friday.
I guess 64l seemed a pretty sweet deal for it in Pune atleast

Congrats Flash.

Nah, transparent logo wont cause IR, simply because of there is always change in color, based on the background.
Also the logo shifts a bit between SD and HD channels. So it will not be in same position all the time ;)

Allajunaki
On a serious note.
I am planning on picking up the Sammy 51d550. i'm gonna get it connected to TATA sky.
Tata Sky does have a transparent background logo, irrespective of which channel you are on .Would this create a problem of Burn-in. ?

Nah, transparent logo wont cause IR, simply because of there is always change in color, based on the background.
Also the logo shifts a bit between SD and HD channels. So it will not be in same position all the time ;)

Have you anytime seen any IR or burn in on your st30 ? do you take any precautions to prevent it?

yes i have IR in my 51d550 from last one month..while hours now more than 374 hrs still some time i get ir which gets wash away with some mins of scrolling but the Reliance logo on left i think is permanent..as it is faded with continuous 8 hrs every nights for about 12 days but still in blue sky we can easily read it...it really hurts with such a beautiful tv .

All the plasma's will have IR, in some models it is less visible due to the coating but they still have the same amount of IR.

IR is never permanent and it will disappear in time,CRT's and OLED also have IR, all the technologies light up individual pixels and have no back light hence the IR is clearly seen. Even LCD has IR but it is completely not visible or very little visible due to the presence of back lighting and also LCD cant light up and turn off individual pixels as effective as other display technologies, which is one more additional reason why the IR is not visible.

Guys.. Wait for 6 months and it should not be a problem..
The IR appearance rate is LG >> Samsung > Panasonic.
This has nothing to do with burn-in.

Cheers.

hey guys
this IR thing is freaking me out!:sad: i was narrowing my choice to a samsung 43d490. but listening to all the "major ir" problems,i am thinking twice about going for a Samsung plasma! might as well save and buy a pana 42st30 or just go ahead with a lcd/led!
are samsung plasma tv more vulnerable to IR as compared to Panasonic ones? or am i not comparing appropriate models,since samsung does not have a competitor to the st30??

hey guys
this IR thing is freaking me out!:sad: i was narrowing my choice to a samsung 43d490. but listening to all the "major ir" problems,i am thinking twice about going for a Samsung plasma! might as well save and buy a pana 42st30 or just go ahead with a lcd/led!
are samsung plasma tv more vulnerable to IR as compared to Panasonic ones? or am i not comparing appropriate models,since samsung does not have a competitor to the st30??

As a matter of fact.. Yes.
43D490 is more prone to IR than even panasonic X30.
But as I said, it is really a small issue. You wont see it until you go looking for it.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back