Anyone with Onkyo HTS 3300 and Tata Sky HD Plus?

oyeindia

I have a Tata Sky HD Plus box connected to my Onkyo HTS 3300 receiver, through HDMI. As the Tata Sky HD Plus box is unable to output Dolby audio through HDMI, I've also connected the two by a Component Audio cable. I wasn't getting Dolby audio on the receiver, however.

A quick check of the receiver manual indicates that so long as audio is available on the HDMI input, that shall take precedence over audio on component, optical and analog, in that order.

Does anyone know how to disable audio on the HDMI output from the Tata Sky HD Plus box?

I have a Tata Sky HD Plus box connected to my Onkyo HTS 3300 receiver, through HDMI. As the Tata Sky HD Plus box is unable to output Dolby audio through HDMI, I've also connected the two by a Component Audio cable. I wasn't getting Dolby audio on the receiver, however.

A quick check of the receiver manual indicates that so long as audio is available on the HDMI input, that shall take precedence over audio on component, optical and analog, in that order.

Does anyone know how to disable audio on the HDMI output from the Tata Sky HD Plus box?

well as far as i know there is no way to disable the audio output in tatasky+ hd stb via hdmi.

however i own a onkyo txsr705 avr and i can easily specify if i want to club the HDMI video with
a) HDMI Audio
b) coaxial audio input
c) optical audio input etc
so what i mean to say is that maybe there is a way you can do same in your AVR as well

edit: there is a way check out page 31 of the manual here :http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/ht-s3300_manual_e.pdf

Last edited:
well as far as i know there is no way to disable the audio output in tatasky+ hd stb via hdmi.

edit: there is a way check out page 31 of the manual here :http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/ht-s3300_manual_e.pdf

Thanks. I had seen that, and my connection is setup accordingly, but on the same manual, Page 19, under "Audio Connection Formats" it says, "if signals are present in more than one input, the inputs will be selected automatically in the following order of priority: HDMI, digital, analog"

So unless I can disable the audio going out through HDMI, as I have done in my Xtreamer for example, the HTS3300 will always choose the HDMI audio instead of the co-axial digital.

Just assign one of the optical or coaxial audio inputs to one of the main inputs of the receiver.....component won't work.....

For example: The STB source will be - HDMi 1 (Videp)+ Coax 1 (Audio).

All very simple and straightforward..... hope this answers your question :)

A simple solution will be to connect the HDMI cable directly to the TV, with a coaxial cable to the input on the receiver, so it can no longer get confused on whether to use sound from HDMI or coaxial.

This solution is, of course, till the HD DVR starts proper Dolby Digital output via HDMI.

A simple solution will be to connect the HDMI cable directly to the TV, with a coaxial cable to the input on the receiver, so it can no longer get confused on whether to use sound from HDMI or coaxial.

This solution is, of course, till the HD DVR starts proper Dolby Digital output via HDMI.

Yes this works.

I've the same reciever, onkyo hts3300 and Tatasky+hd, currently I'm running in the same setup as suggested by zervinb, and its working.

L33TWiZaRd said:
Just assign one of the optical or coaxial audio inputs to one of the main inputs of the receiver.....component won't work.....

For example: The STB source will be - HDMi 1 (Videp)+ Coax 1 (Audio).

Doesn't work with optical as well, tested. And for the same reason. I don't want to do coaxial analogue, that's why all this experimenting.

I've the same reciever, onkyo hts3300 and Tatasky+hd, currently I'm running in the same setup as suggested by zervinb, and its working.

Yes, this is the only option I can see. Didn't want to do it this way because of the inconvenience of having to select separate inputs on TV as well as the receiver everytime I switch on, but due to Tata Sky's idiotic implementation, can't do anything else.

Thanks, all.

I was facing the same problem few weeks ago with my TS HD+ and Onkyo 3300. Finally oi dismantled all the connections, unplugged all the power supplies and reconnected using the same way as suggested above by our other members. Not sure what was the problem but that worked for me.

And yes, i am using an optical cable to carry audio.

Solution to get TataSky+ HD with Onkyo 3300:

1. Connect one HDMI cable and one coaxial cable from STB to HTS3300.
2. Connect one HDMI cable from HTS 3300 to your High Definition TV
3. You can view the Tatasky+ HD channels, but you will not get Dolby 5.1 sound ( Bug in Tatasky+ HD firmware)
4. To get the Dolby sound, press Audio button from your Onkyo 3300 remote, and press several times till you get Audio Input selection. Now you can select Coax ( Coaxial) for the audio input.
5. Hurray, you will get High Def 1080i Video with Dolby 5.1 surround sound.

Howz 3300 performs with TS HD+! Specially when watching HD channels.
I am looking to buy 3300 and I have TS HD+ STB..
I will be using 3300 mostly for movies and bit of Music..

Appreciate your inputs..

Appreciate your inputs..

I have the same setup where audio is connected to 3300 through Optical and HDMI directly to TV.

I found this HTS is extremely good with TS HD

Appreciate your inputs..

Hi,

I own HTS3300 and it rocks. Its works fine with TataSky+HD.

But HTS 3300 is now replaced by a newer model, HTS 3400.

Advantages of HTS3400:
- 4 HDMI inputs
- Probably Onkyo might have fixed some bugs which are seen in HTS3300 and incorporated those bugfixes in HTS3400 (like when PCM 5.1 channel is the audio feed, the front and rear channels gets swapped in hts3300)
- Price of HTS3400 is same as HTS3300.

HTS3400 has several advantages over HTS3300 as listed above.
So I recommend HTS3400. Its completely worth the money you spend on it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the inputs. Anyidea what is the price of Onkyo 3400 in Bangalore.
Has anyone purchased recently? If so , please give me the shop details, contact no etc..

I m looking to buy Onkyo 3400 or 3300 by this saturday, i have Tata SKY HD(Non DVR) and WD media player.

now i m bit confused between the 3400 and 3300, as 3300 is trusted and will get around 22K and for 3400 i have to pay 25K, so i just want to know is it is worth paying 3k extra or i can stick with 3300

I would suggest going with 3300 as it will have ample power already for you to enjoy movies and music at very high volume... You may never be able to use all the available power as my Yamaha RX-V440 produces 65 to 95W at 8 Ohms and it still provide enough DISTORTION FREE earth shaking sound to get the neighbors to our door each time I turn up the volume..

3. You can view the Tatasky+ HD channels, but you will not get Dolby 5.1 sound ( Bug in Tatasky+ HD firmware)
4. To get the Dolby sound, press Audio button from your Onkyo 3300 remote, and press several times till you get Audio Input selection. Now you can select Coax ( Coaxial) for the audio input.

Hey Seklax .. Absolutely great and wonderfully simple solution which works..as it is I was very very disappointed that a forced software download on my TS HD (no TS HD+) box disabled the DD5.1 audio thru HDMI (it was working previously)... on top of that it was looking like I'll have to connect the HDMI to TV and coax to Onkyo 3300.. messy.. since I also have BD and XBOX... and HD media player... BUT now with your tip I am still able to retain the HDMI cable going to my 3300 and with the Coax selection I am able to get DD5.1..but I really wish TS guys turn on the DD5.1 on HDMI.. it's stupid to process the DD and then not send it over HDMI.. maybe its some roayalty issue they are trying to avoid.. oh well... thanks a lot man...

I have just bought 3400 and did not find audio input option. So had to connect hdmi directly to tv and audio via coaxle cable.

GUys,
I have connected ts + hd through optical to my onkyo for audio but there was no sound..Through coaxial it works fine in auxullay mode but i am not satisfied with the sound as it starts to break at lound levels...
Please help me in correct setting with optical for audio

Hey. just bought Onkyo 3400 for 23500 (with HDMI cable) from delhi. I have connected my Tata Sky HD and AV with an HDMI and AV with TV with another HDMI. the setup is working fine but i am not able to appreciate if the sound coming is 5.1 dolby or not. Do i need to connect another optical / coaxial cable also for that? if yes then which one should i purchase ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back