Apple IPOD or Sony PSP

ash147

Hi

I'm very confused.Till last month I was very keen on buying a sony PSP since it offered games,video,music & internet on the go..was very impressed with the number of applications it supported..

now I have read that similar applications are also being supported by Apple IPOD TOUCH..Pls correct me if am wrong..

Both of them are almost similarly priced..m talking about the 8 GB model of IPOD TOUCH & some 3004 model of Sony PSP...

can the informative forum members guide me

1. Do both of them support the same applications ie music,movies,games and internet on the go although the features of each are different?

2. Can buying either of them satisfy my need of listening to music,watching movies, playing games & surfing the net on the go ?

Thanks in advance

There are couple of points that you to consider:

1. Which sounds better? This can only be decided by you after listening to both
2. How many formats are supported? Apple support most formats excepting formats such as FLAC.
3. Third party hardware and software support. No one can come near Apple for this.

Cheers

Last edited:
There are couple of points that you to consider:

1. Which sound better? This can only be decided by you after listening to both
2. How many formats are supported? Apple support most formats excepting formats such as FLAC.
3. Third party hardware and software support. No one can come near Apple for this.

Cheers

thanks venkat for the feedback.do u have any idea on the difference between ipod classic and ipod touch besides the touch screen of touch? can one watch movies on the classic as it also supports a 2.5" screen?

The touch is thinner and supports many new audio formats. In addition, it has better connectivity for wireless networks. It is also supposed to work for a longer time on a battery charge - some 22 hours. Of course, the UI is completely different, and because of the screen size you can use the iTouch for browsing and other Internet usage.

I am not sure whether it is comfortable to watch a movie on either of these instruments. I have never done it, and I find even a laptop with 15 inch screen irritating. I am not the best person to comment on this.

Cheers

I think apples should be compared only with apples.

PSP is primarily a gaming device which can also be used as a media player whereas Ipod is primarily a portable media player which can also be used to play games.

What you choose depends on what you would use it for 'primarily speaking.

I think apples should be compared only with apples.

PSP is primarily a gaming device which can also be used as a media player whereas Ipod is primarily a portable media player which can also be used to play games.

What you choose depends on what you would use it for 'primarily speaking.

Thanks Capt.your information is very valuable.based on venkatji's and ur suggestion i've become more clear on what to buy..m more into music and my son into games.so better option wud be 2 buy a ipod touch for music while travelling from home 2 office & vice versa and then giving 2 my son for gaming...

The touch is thinner and supports many new audio formats. In addition, it has better connectivity for wireless networks. It is also supposed to work for a longer time on a battery charge - some 22 hours. Of course, the UI is completely different, and because of the screen size you can use the iTouch for browsing and other Internet usage.

I am not sure whether it is comfortable to watch a movie on either of these instruments. I have never done it, and I find even a laptop with 15 inch screen irritating. I am not the best person to comment on this.

Cheers

venkat ji thanks...
can u pls let me know how 2 use the ipod for browsing ? does it have a key pad and a browser ? it can be connected to a wireless modem via bluetooth.

Hi Ash147,

I do own an Ipod touch 32Gb.

Yes, you can use it for browsing by connecting it over Wifi to a wireless modem. It has an touchscreen keyboard for typing and as mentioned it uses Safari as an browser.

Cheers.

@net cmd thanks for the info..can u pls tell me

1. is this feature also available in the 8GB model ?

2. from where did u buy & how much did u pay for this model ?

thanks

@net cmd thanks for the info..can u pls tell me

1. is this feature also available in the 8GB model ?

2. from where did u buy & how much did u pay for this model ?

thanks

Yes the feature in discussion is avaliable across all the models of Ipod Touch Including the 8Gb and its MRP is around 12K but if you have good barganing skills then you could even be able to buy it around 10.5 to 11K. Its generally avaliable with all Good Electronic Stores as well as Reliance Digital, Croma, etc. but at these Branded Stores the barganing wouldn't help.

Had you been only looking for a pure hand-held gaming device, I would have also suggested Nintendo-DS. I bought one for my father few months back for $129. With a R4 card, you can play many new and old games by just copying them to a micro-SD card. Very convenient and VFM.

@ash ......

Before beginning let me tell you (and other as well for that matter) that I own Both PSP, iPod touch and iPod classic 30GB, infact I own an iPhone as well so the following experience is my very personal own ....

SONY PSP

If you ask me both are totally different gadgets and excel in their respective department .......... Sony PSP is a pure gaming device and simple excels in that, ipod touch or any other media device not even comes close to it .... There are loads and loads of gaming titles available for PSP. Graphics are at par with PS2 and ofcourse since its primarily a gaming device, its gaming controls matches PS2 which makes it easy to use. You can spend hours and hours with PSP with your choice of games (and ofcourse if at all you are interested in Gaming).

The other thing that PSP excels is movie viewing, the 4.3" 480x272 16:9 ratio screen is simply gorgeous while watching HD content converted to PSP format. If for any reason you do not want to pull out you notebook while travelling, you can enjoy some casual movies/TV shows/Cartoons on PSP and would not be disappointed ......
Same goes with photos, which look stunning, and you can view snaps while listening music as well (unlike Touch)

If you plan to Hack your PSP (much like Jailbreaking iPod or iPhone), you can use your PSP in a much more versatile way .... for example .. being able to play retro games like Mario/Tank/Jungle/Contra/TMNT ...etc.... practically all Nintendo and GBA games ...... you can customize you PSP in all possible ways (much like what Jailbreaking does for iDevice) and lots of other stuff ....

Apart from this there is nothing else PSP excels ./........ Through you can listen to Music, but thats just OK, even with good pair of earphones ......
Browsing is an absolute pain on PSP, navigation is not optimized for PSP screen and its slow. Configuring Wifi is a Pain as well. In a nut shall PSP is not for Browsing ...simple ... I mean yes you can surf net no doubt but if you ask me its not a good/simple experience ...... There are no widgets, no apps no social networking and no G-maps as such

iPod TOUCH

iPod touch is a mix bag, but one thing it excels is Browsing and Social networking. Gaming is a joke on Touch, all you can play are flash type kiddie games. I mean there are graphic games as well, but they look crap and being a touch screen, gameplay is difficult, couple of games do use the accelerometer pretty innovatively, but thats just about it ...... it does not even come close to PSP in gaming ......
Movie watching again is not as good as on PSP, the screen is too small and its not as vibrant as PSP while watching HD content. Snaps look good but unlike PSP you cannot listen to music and view snaps at the same time (no multitasking)
Coming to Music, thats where it excels along with internet ...... far better than PSP, especially with a better earphones ..... but I would also like to bring this that though iTouch is good in music when compared to PSP, BUT not when compared to iPod nano, OR iPod Classic or Shuffle. There is a difference in the Hardware of Touch and Nano/Classic or Shuffle ....... Nano/Classic or shuffle sounds better than touch, be aware of that .....
So if Music is your ONLY prime concern touch is not for you.

Coming to the part where touch excels ..... and that is Browsing, Social Networking and as your personal daily manager.
Browsing is heaven on touch/iphone, even with a small screen. Pinch and zoom works flawlessly making reading text absolute ease ...... double tap intelligently fits the page according to the landscape or portrait mode .... typing is pleasure. The only drawback is you cannot multi task so you cannot listen to music or chat while browsing ..... OS4 solves this but I am not sure if that works on itouch as it does not work on my 3G (only 3GS).
Apart from it Social networking again is seamless ..... with gazillion apps and widgets available for some or the other purpose, you will not find the dearth of finding the best one for you.
Personal daily manager ::: Again with loads of apps available touch can act as your office assistance, with full exchange support, gmail support with push notification. Calender sync so that appointments are intact ....... RSS feed for you daily news......MS office support....... maintaining notes, schedules, making travel arrangements, creating your itinerary, recording memos, geo-tagging images, navigation using Google map (with iPhone we have the ultimate GPS) all this is an ease with idevice ........

So the choice is up to you .... what is your preference ......

1. GAMING (can not compromise) PSP
2. INTERNET & Social networking (can not compromise) iTouch
3. MUSIC (cannot compromise) Nano/Classic/Shuffle

I'd say if you can compromise on gaming and can settle for casual gaming as well ... go for iTouch as Music is not that bad on Touch plus you also get pure browsing pleasure ......

Hope I was of Some help ...

Regards
Sammy

@ash ......

Before beginning let me tell you (and other as well for that matter) that I own Both PSP, iPod touch and iPod classic 30GB, infact I own an iPhone as well so the following experience is my very personal own ....

SONY PSP

If you ask me both are totally different gadgets and excel in their respective department .......... Sony PSP is a pure gaming device and simple excels in that, ipod touch or any other media device not even comes close to it .... There are loads and loads of gaming titles available for PSP. Graphics are at par with PS2 and ofcourse since its primarily a gaming device, its gaming controls matches PS2 which makes it easy to use. You can spend hours and hours with PSP with your choice of games (and ofcourse if at all you are interested in Gaming).

The other thing that PSP excels is movie viewing, the 4.3" 480x272 16:9 ratio screen is simply gorgeous while watching HD content converted to PSP format. If for any reason you do not want to pull out you notebook while travelling, you can enjoy some casual movies/TV shows/Cartoons on PSP and would not be disappointed ......
Same goes with photos, which look stunning, and you can view snaps while listening music as well (unlike Touch)

If you plan to Hack your PSP (much like Jailbreaking iPod or iPhone), you can use your PSP in a much more versatile way .... for example .. being able to play retro games like Mario/Tank/Jungle/Contra/TMNT ...etc.... practically all Nintendo and GBA games ...... you can customize you PSP in all possible ways (much like what Jailbreaking does for iDevice) and lots of other stuff ....

Apart from this there is nothing else PSP excels ./........ Through you can listen to Music, but thats just OK, even with good pair of earphones ......
Browsing is an absolute pain on PSP, navigation is not optimized for PSP screen and its slow. Configuring Wifi is a Pain as well. In a nut shall PSP is not for Browsing ...simple ... I mean yes you can surf net no doubt but if you ask me its not a good/simple experience ...... There are no widgets, no apps no social networking and no G-maps as such

iPod TOUCH

iPod touch is a mix bag, but one thing it excels is Browsing and Social networking. Gaming is a joke on Touch, all you can play are flash type kiddie games. I mean there are graphic games as well, but they look crap and being a touch screen, gameplay is difficult, couple of games do use the accelerometer pretty innovatively, but thats just about it ...... it does not even come close to PSP in gaming ......
Movie watching again is not as good as on PSP, the screen is too small and its not as vibrant as PSP while watching HD content. Snaps look good but unlike PSP you cannot listen to music and view snaps at the same time (no multitasking)
Coming to Music, thats where it excels along with internet ...... far better than PSP, especially with a better earphones ..... but I would also like to bring this that though iTouch is good in music when compared to PSP, BUT not when compared to iPod nano, OR iPod Classic or Shuffle. There is a difference in the Hardware of Touch and Nano/Classic or Shuffle ....... Nano/Classic or shuffle sounds better than touch, be aware of that .....
So if Music is your ONLY prime concern touch is not for you.

Coming to the part where touch excels ..... and that is Browsing, Social Networking and as your personal daily manager.
Browsing is heaven on touch/iphone, even with a small screen. Pinch and zoom works flawlessly making reading text absolute ease ...... double tap intelligently fits the page according to the landscape or portrait mode .... typing is pleasure. The only drawback is you cannot multi task so you cannot listen to music or chat while browsing ..... OS4 solves this but I am not sure if that works on itouch as it does not work on my 3G (only 3GS).
Apart from it Social networking again is seamless ..... with gazillion apps and widgets available for some or the other purpose, you will not find the dearth of finding the best one for you.
Personal daily manager ::: Again with loads of apps available touch can act as your office assistance, with full exchange support, gmail support with push notification. Calender sync so that appointments are intact ....... RSS feed for you daily news......MS office support....... maintaining notes, schedules, making travel arrangements, creating your itinerary, recording memos, geo-tagging images, navigation using Google map (with iPhone we have the ultimate GPS) all this is an ease with idevice ........

So the choice is up to you .... what is your preference ......

1. GAMING (can not compromise) PSP
2. INTERNET & Social networking (can not compromise) iTouch
3. MUSIC (cannot compromise) Nano/Classic/Shuffle

I'd say if you can compromise on gaming and can settle for casual gaming as well ... go for iTouch as Music is not that bad on Touch plus you also get pure browsing pleasure ......

Hope I was of Some help ...

Regards
Sammy

absolutly stunning review sam9s...u have taken a lot of time & loads of patience to write this lovely review..thanks...it'll help me a lot in arriving @ proper decision.

regards
shailendra

Thanks Capt ... I love writing reviews ..... :)

hey try ur luck writing reviews at mouthshut.com...they r giving away free ipads to the best review & moreover u can help other visitors on that site in buying products/services etc..

^^ I have written couple of reviews on Mouthshut ..... try my review on Suzuki GS 150R ....... its been read 17000+ times since I wrote it in March 09, rated by 41 members with 80% rating it very usefull ......

But I didnt find the site professional, its a bit casual in ist approach ..... I have yet to find a site purely profession in writing reviews ....

Based on the inputs from all of the forum members who have chipped in to reply to my query & on the detailed review by sam9s I have almost finalized on a 32GB Ipod Touch and it's a matter of a few days now when i'll become a proud owner of one.A couple of questions more

1. Can I connect the IPOD touch to a TV ? If yes how..I have a TV which has normal as well as HDMI connectors.

2. Can the IPOD be connected to my Home Theatre ? I have a HTIB from Onkyo,HTR340.

so finally I bought an Apple IPOD Touch 32 GB.:licklips: Thanks to the forum for the suggestions, feedback,reviews which helped me arriving at the decision to buy an IPOD so quickly.This is my first purchase of any Apple product & my second purchase which I owe to all the members of this excellent forum.The previous one being of Mission floorstanders which I bought in July 2009.Thanks again forum...especially to Sam9s ( for the wonderful review), pavanhifi, ashishkesarwani, net_cmd, kittu1977, capt rajesh and last but not the least by any means venkatcr.:clapping:
I received the unit y'day night & did not get much time to check the details,though I was able to do some R&D till about 2:00 AM,with wife cursing & declaring the IPOD as her soutan;)
I have just downloaded the user's manual and plan to browse thru it today evening after office...
THANKS AGAIN ALL...

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back