Apple lossless from Android phone to external DAC

sam_007

Folks, I need your suggestions on how I can experience Apple losses in my stereo setup. When casting Apple lossless from my android phone Apple music app to my Airtel xstream box, whose digital optical out is connected to an external DAC, it is not supporting. It is playing AAC not ALAC, the lossless logo is going off in the Apple music app.

What changes I need to do to play lossless? Do I need to get any cable/converter to connect my phone to external DAC?
OR I need any media/streaming player to connect to the DAC to make it work?
Need your suggestions here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Zen Dac which is a USB DAC. I connected my Samsung phone to it through USB using a connector. The Zen Dac then connected to the Pre amp and then to the Power amp.

I have no reason to believe that I was not getting lossless in this setup but I have no way to confirm it.

Android resample USB output. There are workaround apps to sidestep this but I've not tried one

Is the airtel xtream device chrome cast enabled?

Hello,
Happy to hear that Apple has launched lossless in India, so need your suggestions on how I can experience that in my stereo setup.
When casting Apple lossless from my android phone Apple music app to my Airtel xstream box, whose digital optical out is connected to an external DAC, it is not supporting. It is playing AAC not ALAC, the lossless logo is going off in the Apple music app.

What changes I need to do to play lossless? Do I need to get any cable/converter to connect my phone to external DAC?
OR I need any media/streaming player to connect to the DAC to make it work?
Need your suggestions here.
Chromecast, Airplay etc casting are limited by itself. You will get AAC only.
I have a Zen Dac which is a USB DAC. I connected my Samsung phone to it through USB using a connector. The Zen Dac then connected to the Pre amp and then to the Power amp.

I have no reason to believe that I was not getting lossless in this setup but I have no way to confirm it.
Android USB is limited to 48. Whatever Bit rate Apple Music shows are streamed till your mobile. Android than resamples everything to 48 and send it vis USB. So, You get lossless till 48, But not HiRes Lossless via an android device.

Right now there is no way for Android users to enjoy HiRes Lossless via external DAC. If your Android device has good hires DAC than it's possible to enjoy it, Otherwise Android users will enjoy limited experience.

Android USB is limited to 48. Whatever Bit rate Apple Music shows are streamed till your mobile. Android than resamples everything to 48 and send it vis USB. So, You get lossless till 48, But not HiRes Lossless via an android device.

Right now there is no way for Android users to enjoy HiRes Lossless via external DAC. If your Android device has good hires DAC than it's possible to enjoy it, Otherwise Android users will enjoy limited experience.
I believe there are ways around it as usual. Am looking into it. Hope I don't thrash my phone. :)

My case is different ie I hv macbook pro 2015 model 8gb ram, 256 ssd, high Sierra OS but can't download apple music app. Any alternative? Plz suggest.

Are you using 3.5 mm or type c jack from your phone to connect to your usb DAC?
While playing from the Apple music app, is the lossless logo intact in the song details screen in your setup? And most importantly, r u feeling the difference between AAC and lossless for the same song?
Android resample USB output. There are workaround apps to sidestep this but I've not tried one

Is the airtel xtream device chrome cast enabled?
Which apps you are pointing here, I can try.
Yes Airtel xstream has casting enabled, I can cast from phone to the box.

Thanks for ur input.
For now, if I can extract 48, it is fine for me. Could you suggest how I can achieve that. What connector I need to use? My schitt multibit DAC has optical as well as usb inputs
I believe there are ways around it as usual. Am looking into it. Hope I don't thrash my phone. :)
Please share if you get a work around

Yes, it will work.
Got a type c to usb female converter locally but when playing from my mobile the DAC is not recognising it the song is playing in my mobile only but when connecting the DAC from laptop, it is working. Do I need to do anything setting change in my mobile?

Got a type c to usb female converter locally but when playing from my mobile the DAC is not recognising it the song is playing in my mobile only but when connecting the DAC from laptop, it is working. Do I need to do anything setting change in my mobile?

Thanks for the information. But in my realme phone I can find 'select usb configuration' option but under that 'audio source' is missing. Any way to add it or enable it?
If "Disable USB Audio routing" is on, keep it on off.

I get a max of 48k on usb out from my android phone. Bluetooth just shows ldac. Any way to go higher than 48k? Developer option has settings for bluetooth only.

MaSh

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back