Apple music cast via Chromecast

swift

Hi All,

I would like to stream Apple Music installed on my Android phone but I do not see any cast option in apple music.

A search via Google says its possible to cast apple music from Android, is anyone here using Apple Music on their Android devices and able to see and cast music from Apple music android?

Google Cromecast audio Cast Apple Music from android device. I’m using it some times ago.
Was there anything specific you had to do for enabling cast in apple music?

Could you please help with the steps or screenshot for guidance?

Attached are the screenshot from my Apple music installed on my Android phone, realme X.

My Apple music App version: 4.1.1

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-24-14-46-27-65_b842316e563230167e12cc31f5ffaf19.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-24-14-46-27-65_b842316e563230167e12cc31f5ffaf19.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_2023-04-24-14-47-09-79_b842316e563230167e12cc31f5ffaf19.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-24-14-47-09-79_b842316e563230167e12cc31f5ffaf19.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 22

Attached are the screenshot from my Apple music installed on my Android phone, realme X.

Where do you want to cast the music? It can be done on google chromecast but not shield TV. No special setting is required apart from both phone and casting device being on same WiFi

Where do you want to cast the music? It can be done on google chromecast but not shield TV. No special setting is required apart from both phone and casting device being on same WiFi
Yes, all my devices are connected to the same network and I am able to cast youtube to the same TV but not apple music.
Currently, I am trying to cast to my smart TV. I am able to cast youtube to the same TV but not Apple Music.

Forget about the Casting, as you can see in the screenshot even the cast option/button is not visible in my Apple Music.

not all android casting device have support of apple music.. I also not cast apple music to android tv.. in some android tv cast well apple music.. also i have tried in xiomi mi box 4k to cast apple music not work.. only flawless option is google cromecast audio (but its absolute model).

Yes, all my devices are connected to the same network and I am able to cast youtube to the same TV but not apple music.
Currently, I am trying to cast to my smart TV. I am able to cast youtube to the same TV but not Apple Music.

Forget about the Casting, as you can see in the screenshot even the cast option/button is not visible in my Apple Music.
Don't think apple music will cast to smart TV. It's probably not supported. It's supported on google chromecast (using regularly). Cast button not showing up for the same reason.

Please check the documentation of your tv to check if it's 'Chromecast built in'. If it isn't, the Chromecast option will not show up.
Mine isn't - see 1st screenshot- i can only cast to my nvidia shield and my Chromecast audio ('R speaker' in the pic).
But I can cast to the you tube app on my tv (2nd screenshot).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230424-193258.png
    Screenshot_20230424-193258.png
    194.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20230424-194131~2.png
    Screenshot_20230424-194131~2.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 16
Please check the documentation of your tv to check if it's 'Chromecast built in'. If it isn't, the Chromecast option will not show up.
Mine isn't - see 1st screenshot- i can only cast to my nvidia shield and my Chromecast audio ('R speaker' in the pic).
But I can cast to the you tube app on my tv (2nd screenshot).
Thanks!
Do you see the cast icon always irrespective of whether any Chromecast device is available in the network? Or does the icon gets enabled only when the Chromecast device is connected to the network?

Thanks!
Do you see the cast icon always irrespective of whether any Chromecast device is available in the network? Or does the icon gets enabled only when the Chromecast device is connected to the network?
Which TV Model is it? Usually the icon comes up when it finds a Chromecast receiving device.

MaSh

Thanks!
The icon will only be visible if a Chromecast device is on the same network

Thanks, everyone.

I just purchased a used Chromecast audio from @mgdelhi and am happy to see that it does stream Apple music. But the fate is apple music DO NOT support Lossless over Chromecast (errrrr! Why Apple? :mad:) I overlooked and assumed it should support, my bad, and thats a huge bummer for me. Apple Music switches to some lossy format (AAC maybe??) once CCA is connected:oops:

In comparison, Amazon Music via CCA sounds better than Apple Music. Disappointed about the technical limitations of Apple Music vs CCA. I just wish Amazon or Spotify brings lossless to India

I must get some perks, right?....
Skipped using Apple Music for now and I am using CCA to cast my local FLAC songs via Android VLC-->CCA-->Marantz Amp via RCA cable. This setup excites me:D. So right now the inbuilt DAC in CCA is in action. Will get my optical cable tomorrow. I'm in the "hope" that the Marantz PM6007 inbuilt DAC must unleash something better than the CCA DAC. #FingersCrossed

Thanks, everyone.

I just purchased a used Chromecast audio from @mgdelhi and am happy to see that it does stream Apple music. But the fate is apple music DO NOT support Lossless over Chromecast (errrrr! Why Apple? :mad:) I overlooked and assumed it should support, my bad, and thats a huge bummer for me. Apple Music switches to some lossy format (AAC maybe??) once CCA is connected:oops:

In comparison, Amazon Music via CCA sounds better than Apple Music. Disappointed about the technical limitations of Apple Music vs CCA. I just wish Amazon or Spotify brings lossless to India

I must get some perks, right?....
Skipped using Apple Music for now and I am using CCA to cast my local FLAC songs via Android VLC-->CCA-->Marantz Amp via RCA cable. This setup excites me:D. So right now the inbuilt DAC in CCA is in action. Will get my optical cable tomorrow. I'm in the "hope" that the Marantz PM6007 inbuilt DAC must unleash something better than the CCA DAC. #FingersCrossed
Apple lossless and hi-res is a mess and will remain so always. The problem is like this

1. The lossless version are encoded using apple's proprietory codec known as ALAC. There is no yet reverse engineed version of this anywhere. So any device that cannot play ALAC, apple will stream the AAC version. So only iphone, ipad or any phone that can run the apple music app will be able to play lossless and hi-res. So unless they open-source the codec, this problem will remain. Not sure why apple is stubborn, because it isn't as if ALAC is better than the others. In terms of sound quality, FLAC and ALAC will be same, because both will give you the original version. However compression and decompression is slightly more efficient with FLAC. In a direct test, this means that a FLAC file will decompress more quickly, and therefore by ready for playback more readily than an ALAC file. Also remember that ALAC is 16 bit while flac is 24 bit. So theoretically flac can give you much better headroom and dynamics.

2. The only way you can get lossless and bit perfect is by using iphone or ipad connected to a good quality dac. These are the only two devices in the entire Apple's arsenal which can change the sampling rate automatically with the samping rate of the recording

3. Apple TV will resample everyting to 48 kHZ

4. Macbooks, mac mini and macbook air will also play at a fixed sampling rate, unless you change it using 'Audio MIDI Setup' app.

Having multiple macbook pro laptops, a macbook air and 2 macbook mini, two apple tvs, one apple ipad, and multiple airport express devices irks me a lot. Apple expects you to dedicate a iphone or ipad to play their high resolution music if you want perfection. Like you I'm waiting for spotify, which is a far better app than apple music

And so fed up with the old macbooks that I have converted them to run linux. They run faster, play all hi-res witout a sweat.

And then there will be many who are ok with this. It is like god gave us apple, which is true BTW. But we should remember that all problem also started with that apple that god gave us.

AJFCJaWVfmCiz8zonNLutzUY6VHY9ZTR0A2D0OMneGhXzvoQpzga2ZmWxoGA9BbzstWt-AHbbKFYLFrCQB0I77sCKCKNaXlMbQ2OeMtXzGP0PGpYqVxVcM9YapgiheXRJXU_UImCL2MfJKG6q0H1sMHLf-h9x3Oo7BiJGcXJzyzst0lDFfnIz68z6pUxAlxGBjgpG2tnY0qcaoff57F8xYJziAWU64ovsK4QGCgh7JvPTzX3tBeqy97_SHa85GWbf6W-kPMP9TtogSiHhR8a6CNSHBXa6ph7p5lUYLCAs5Ea11DuaC-xnM2cMtHzqN8vjxGFwUB8xnmBxaSQWOqGa8V2E8w9D92x9lL2o1n2Hi1HeLIgQW44w5j39UF6haoHn4xGHWFuu8DygfQS66LxyWBolRdtoftsNSHTqCVUjjWxz0PlvrupJmWffucXmtO70Vvojwpr2qjZJyV5iqu_IBxNLNILKhWgvBaTDW5bGR_4HqgSzdHG8qylhh3c-yU-iRRf90Jm5AKh3Y_oZO3lSwOc7qgL9oZaG4sPRdsNQAaHpjEk2ACowE1fmNJ1vwRFTo4TtoEke6HvSWEYU_rlsmUypVmMygheAmkpCV4n8X0_vKdJBDxBMDZ6FtSiZ6mBaUA2J8yyHvAzdr4HgVJINNpFdYBnGPRe-kAa5VqFA6FZSu-Mf-7XpFJT9MLSDHZMfnLvdSa_V3ddrxTluGFUfJ3lvitD1HrEzZQiLpOyCpRGRnTwFuudQeeFgzSxiQKAoHaz12Aide6FJSgBdVZ6RQk88tT3uflL8zNMXY490ZsD7mXg5BMWTjLTwDm643vOCBGjKREhpff3gg8oawJyDmfTGZnxuCgr8t_cgc2_576XYLM_umKAAls0zj-hAl_EBGP5MoJWVcJjpvlIx6z4xh22Gw=w747-h560-s-no

Last edited:
But the fate is apple music DO NOT support Lossless over Chromecast (errrrr! Why Apple? :mad:) I overlooked and assumed it should support, my bad, and thats a huge bummer for me. Apple Music switches to some lossy format (AAC maybe??) once CCA is connected:oops:
Yes this is Apple doing Apple things , ie being annoying. Having said that this issue has been discussed on multiple threads here....

Yes this is Apple doing Apple things , ie being annoying. Having said that this issue has been discussed on multiple threads here....

I have been searching various sites and understanding wireless vs wired hifi playback. In the end, settled with CCA since I don't want to enter the Apple ecosystem just for the sake of Apple Music. But knowing Apple I should have been prepared!

I am sure Apple has an internal team who carefully plans and road map to make simple things more complex and shut down any doors for outsiders (non-Apple addicts). Anyway, Apple is an Apple.

I just wish Spotify Hifi and Amazon Music HD do get launched in India soon...

I am just seeing wired playback as the only way now without getting exposed to the compulsory Apple ecosystem.

I am just seeing wired playback as the only way now without getting exposed to the compulsory Apple ecosystem.
I have realized that by now that the best quality comes with wired playback. Almost 99% of the time, I end up listening to my Jazz, Old Hind songs, Old Rock groups like Scorpions, Deep Purple, Rainbows, Doors, etc using my ripped cd collection.

Once in a while I use spotify. The app is fantastic. It allows you to start a playlist and remember it. That is exactly like what my Linux player does. Using spotify I can start exactly at the place I left off today and start at exactly the same song tomorrow. Linux allows me to start at the same song same position tomorrow.

Apple is a beast. If I shutdown my device and start tomorrow, it shows me something wierdly different. And If I was drunk yesterday I have to spend hours trying to recollect what album what playlist did i hear yesterday? Terrible waste of time and money. The other superior thing about spotify is that the music is streamed from the spotify server to the end playback device directly. Apple does it differently. The apple server streams it to the device that has the apple music app and then the device having apple music app streams it to the end device. So there are two hops unless the DAC is directly connected to the device running the apple music app.

However once in a while I do get songs that are only on apple music and that's the reason I have not terminated my subscription. I did terminate my google music subscription last year. But using apple music is a PITA. Everytime I have to listen, I have to switch on my carefully crafted mac mini music server which has something to automatically change the sampling rate as per the song. The mac mini has a dac connected to it to let it go over the max 96 kHz that mac mini internal dac supports. I use the apple TV to display cover art or visualizations while music is playing

I just noticed something about Amazon Music Hi-Res(Referred to as unlimited in Amazon terms). Currently Amazon Unlimited is available in the Countries listed here --> https://music.amazon.com/help?nodeId=202204440

Unlike Tidal which needs VPN to connect to country-specific account/sites, Amazon has an option to "Move" the account to any country we want. This skips the need for VPN. But the catch here is i need the country-specific payment method i.e. I was unable to proceed to activate Amazon Unlimited using my Indian card :oops:

The subscription cost drastically between counties. Argentina being the lowest as far as i checked.

Apple Music doesn’t cast lossless, whether through Chromecast or even its own Airplay. Your only way is a wired connection from any source or universal Airplay (an exception) from MacBook. So, it doesn’t matter if you have an Android phone chromecasting or an iPhone Airplaying - you can’t listen lossless. So the Apple-ecosystem tirade, though not baseless, isn’t pertinent here. A number of threads on this forum have discussed this and you could have saved some bucks if you’d read them.

Having said that, the CCA is a thing to cherish - they don’t and won’t make something like it anymore. Even I recently bought it and have connected it with the old Bose Soundlink II speaker in my study via aux. I prefer this sound over what I get via BT connection with the Soundlink.

Yes, we all are hoping that one of Tidal/Qobuz/Amazon HD launch their services in India, but it’s been a looong and one wonders if, endless wait. The best chance would be Amazon considering how it’s invested already in India. Till then, I refuse to, as a matter of principle, pay for their services abroad if they don’t consider me a customer they’d want to cater to. With a largish CD collection covering most of my go-to favourites and over 60 odd FLAC/Hi-res radio channels playing natively on the streamer (CXN), there’s enough lossless content to be content with. 😊

Last edited:
Apple Music doesn’t cast lossless, whether through Chromecast or even its own Airplay. Your only way is a wired connection from any source or universal Airplay (an exception) from MacBook. So, it doesn’t matter if you have an Android phone chromecasting or an iPhone Airplaying - you can’t listen lossless. So the Apple-ecosystem tirade, though not baseless, isn’t pertinent here.

Via Airplay I see apple music can cast upto 16 bit/44.1khz. Although this is not lossless its still in CD quality and opens up lot of details compared to lossy AAC. But Apple music via Chromecast is still inferior format!

No regrets on buying a CCA though! I have other use case for it including local FLAC streaming.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back