Hi All,

Following are the equipments involved.

1. AV - Marantz SR 6010
2. TV - Sony 47-W850A
3. Dish Receiver - DishTV True HD+
4. PC - Custom Build with 7.1

Following are the connections

1. Dish [Out: HDMI] -> [In: HDMI 2] TV [Out: HDMI ARC] -> [In: Monitor(ARC)]AV
2. PC [Out: HDMI with PCM 7.1] -> [In: HDMI 4] TV [Out: HDMI ARC] -> [In: Monitor(ARC)]AV

In TV Bravia Sync is on with power controls
In AV HDMI Control is on with Audio as Auto (Other options are PCM and DTS)
In DishTV the audio in any channels (with 5.1 availability) is set as 5.1 instead of Stereo.
In PC I am playing 5.1 audio based content

For all the above cases, the AV shows the input audio as PCM 2.0 regardless of weather it's DishTV or PC.

But if I connect the DishTV or PC directly to AV then full multi channel audio is supported.

The issue seems to be with Sony TV converting audio to PCM 2.0 regardless of any type if input.

Has anyone faced same or similar issue ?

I really doubt ARC support 5.1 and it is a limitation. I get only 2.0 in ARC output from Samsung TV. I am not so sure whether it is ARC standard or any dependency on TV how they implemented ARC.

Hi All,

Following are the equipments involved.

1. AV - Marantz SR 6010
2. TV - Sony 47-W850A
3. Dish Receiver - DishTV True HD+
4. PC - Custom Build with 7.1

Following are the connections

1. Dish [Out: HDMI] -> [In: HDMI 2] TV [Out: HDMI ARC] -> [In: Monitor(ARC)]AV
2. PC [Out: HDMI with PCM 7.1] -> [In: HDMI 4] TV [Out: HDMI ARC] -> [In: Monitor(ARC)]AV

In TV Bravia Sync is on with power controls
In AV HDMI Control is on with Audio as Auto (Other options are PCM and DTS)
In DishTV the audio in any channels (with 5.1 availability) is set as 5.1 instead of Stereo.
In PC I am playing 5.1 audio based content

For all the above cases, the AV shows the input audio as PCM 2.0 regardless of weather it's DishTV or PC.

But if I connect the DishTV or PC directly to AV then full multi channel audio is supported.

The issue seems to be with Sony TV converting audio to PCM 2.0 regardless of any type if input.

Has anyone faced same or similar issue ?

Have you tried HDMi control with DTS and checked?

I really doubt ARC support 5.1 and it is a limitation. I get only 2.0 in ARC output from Samsung TV. I am not so sure whether it is ARC standard or any dependency on TV how they implemented ARC.

I have read in internet that with Samsung and even with Sony in some cases ARC works with multi-channel.

Check your TV settings, I have LG TV and ARC works fine.

I play AC3 5.1 movie from pen drive and AVR shows Dolby Digital 5.1.

In my TV settings, there is a option to set ARC output format to AUTO / PCM.

In my case I have set it to "AUTO".

Also try playing DD 5.1 move on TV from pen drive.

Check your TV settings, I have LG TV and ARC works fine.

I play AC3 5.1 movie from pen drive and AVR shows Dolby Digital 5.1.

In my TV settings, there is a option to set ARC output format to AUTO / PCM.

In my case I have set it to "AUTO".

Also try playing DD 5.1 move on TV from pen drive.

Great peice of info shared. Thanks. I too own a LG tv. Have you tried playing DTS HD MA or Dolby true HD files over connected pen drive to the USB port of LG TV and checked what AVR is displaying?

Great peice of info shared. Thanks. I too own a LG tv. Have you tried playing DTS HD MA or Dolby true HD files over connected pen drive to the USB port of LG TV and checked what AVR is displaying?

Yes, I have checked DTS HD MA and AVR displayed correctly.

Will do it again on coming weekend and post images here.

I am owning a SONY led where I am also using ARC. I am getting Dolby Digital out from the TV through ARC. You have to go the HDMI settings and enable dolby uncompressed option.... For you Bravia Sync wont help as it requires all of the devices from SONY.

Please check images of AVR displaying Dolby D.

Also LG TV Settings.

Attachments

• DSC_0096.jpg
    DSC_0096.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0098.jpg
    DSC_0098.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0100.jpg
    DSC_0100.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 29

I too own a LG TV and its plays Dolby (AAC and AC3 ) and DTS beautifully thru ARC. But here is the take with HD Audio.

DTS HD by Design will scale down to DTS or DTS ES Matrix when there is a limitation(in my case its the TV)

Dobly True HD is hardware dependent and does not scale down where there is a limitation and the TV ends up displaying "Audio Format not Supported"

To Test HD Audio, we need to have a blu ray player or a Media Streaming device which supports HD Formats

Hope this helps.....

I too own a LG TV and its plays Dolby (AAC and AC3 ) and DTS beautifully thru ARC. But here is the take with HD Audio.

DTS HD by Design will scale down to DTS or DTS ES Matrix when there is a limitation(in my case its the TV)

Dobly True HD is hardware dependent and does not scale down where there is a limitation and the TV ends up displaying "Audio Format not Supported"

To Test HD Audio, we need to have a blu ray player or a Media Streaming device which supports HD Formats

Hope this helps.....

Your comment makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot for the valuable peice of information

ARC doesnt work great with DTS-HD MA.. it scales it down to DTS to my receiver.

On the other hand, i found that Netflix app on my TV is able to stream DD+ signals to my AVR.

So DD+ is the best that I can get out of ARC on my TV.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back