Are analogue inputs in home theater setups dated?

Donivlapog

Do people still use these in this day and age? And if so, how would they hold up compared to the digital inputs given best setups and loudspeakers in use to an average 5.1 setup by an entry level AVR and inexpensive book shelves/satellites?

I think the biggest challenge of using analog inputs is the lack of support for fancy new multi channel formats.
However, if we just want a stereo or standard 5.1/7.1 surround sound experience from a source like PC (with multi channel analog out), we should still be able to make good use of those analog inputs of our relatively old AVRs.
The advantage of this is it also helps us bypass the dreaded issues with HDMI versions and compatibility. On the downside, you end up with a lot more cable mess.

I think the biggest challenge of using analog inputs is the lack of support for fancy new multi channel formats.
However, if we just want a stereo or standard 5.1/7.1 surround sound experience from a source like PC (with multi channel analog out), we should still be able to make good use of those analog inputs of our relatively old AVRs.
The advantage of this is it also helps us bypass the dreaded issues with HDMI versions and compatibility. On the downside, you end up with a lot more cable mess.
Agreed wrt multi channel sound. Analog inputs are dying these days. In some new AVRs, they are not even included in the circuit. Even in TVs for example Lg c1 and later do not have them (cx was the last to have them). I wonder why. But how would they compare with stereo amplifiers?

Even in TVs for example Lg c1 and later do not have them (cx was the last to have them). I wonder why. But how would they compare with stereo amplifiers?
True, my older SONY Bravia had a couple of sets of analog inputs. Also the STB from the local SP Etisalat.

My 2016 SONY Bravia has just an obscure analog IN with a TRRS socket and a provided adaptor. Etisalat STB has none and even they provided a 4k compatible cable for HDMI for a few channels that we don't watch.

True, my older SONY Bravia had a couple of sets of analog inputs. Also the STB from the local SP Etisalat.

My 2016 SONY Bravia has just an obscure analog IN with a TRRS socket and a provided adaptor. Etisalat STB has none and even they provided a 4k compatible cable for HDMI for a few channels that we don't watch.
Subbu sir, many repair technicians say analog is the better solution for stereo sound output. Is it true? They say the industry is gradually retiring the better technology and they are making a huge mistake.

Subbu sir, many repair technicians say analog is the better solution for stereo sound output. Is it true? They say the industry is gradually retiring the better technology and they are making a huge mistake.
I am not fully in agreement. Now I am playing my music from Mac Mini (2014) through my desktop setup (Harman Kardon Nova 2.0) using the optical interface on both ends. It is far better than the analog out of Mac Mini connected to the analog IN of Nova.

We have to agree digital interfaces are difficult to repair in case of fault and not all technicians may comprehend the tech behind the them. Analog is easy for them to handle? Change a cap or a transistor or IC and that's it. Back it works.

we just want a stereo or standard 5.1/7.1 surround sound experience from a source like PC (with multi channel analog out), we should still be able to make good use of those analog inputs of our relatively old AVRs.
I had tested that way AVR were Yamaha 667,Marantz sr6006.Output was taken from xonar D2X. In movies, avr internal dac did good job when fed via HDMI from same HTPC. Soundstage of avr was bigger than multich xonar D2X.
When connected a bluray hdmi for music and same time bluray player digital out was fed to dac. Here, dac sounded much better than avr internal dac.
So all depends on external chain.

On most receivers, the analogue inputs are first converted into digital using a ADC (of what quality nobody knows!) before feeding into its own DAC. The reason is to have a digital volume control which is universal for all the inputs.

When you look back to very early receivers from 90s which has an analogue potentiometer , this conversion isn’t there.

I have a Marantz 6007 IA connected to pre-outs from Yamaha AVR which is fed from Apple TV with Samsung TV. I tried to connect the optical out of the Samsung to the IA while keeping the AVR off. The sound is phenomenal compared to sound directly from the AVR via pre-outs. I dont know if it is due to optical or if Samsung does a better job of converting from HDMI to Optical.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back