Are Remasters getting worse?

Don't know if remix is technically same as remaster .. but I love the Pearl Jam Ten Redux version compared to the original.

Sultans of Swing on this hi-res is crappy compared to the original CD or even by normal compressed standards. All base no treble. Some recent remasters including Steven Wilson's ones of Jethro Tull, Yes and Rush are amazing though.

I guess it depends on the master they remaster from. If they go back to analog spool tapes then with every passing year now their sound quality will degrade. So mastering from immaculate condition tapes are the only hope for a good remaster. And all that snake oil about compensating for the tape losses is just someones idea of what it should sound like and that screws things up more often than not.

Remastering from the original 16/44 masters has a better chance of coming out ok. Sometimes even that is messed up badly.

The so called music streaming masters in my opinion have a long way to go. I have heard certain albums change sound quality over time. The download I have compared to the new stream, the new stream is better or sometimes no so. Sometimes they have two copies of the same album streaming and you can hear the difference.

In short, remasters are definitely not getting better.

Main reason in my books is we dont have the genius sound engineers we had back then when many were not only engineers by qualification but knew their music. With the most basic of them tools at their disposal they mastered the art of audio recording and reproduction and made it sound terrific. If anyone has heard the original pressing of harry belafonte carnegie hall, or some fantastic jazz or classical lp’s of the 60’s and 70’s from rca and mercury, even a few rock albums, they would know.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back