Are Songs from DVD close enough to Audio CD?

greenhorn

I had been looking for a Dil Se CD for a while now, to use as a reference disc ( I Love the album)
I had heard the song on The remastering project and it triggered my need to get the original song
I found the DVD - I know technically a 448 kbps AC3 compressed stream is theoretically inferior, but practically what's the difference?

It should be indistinguishable. I would be more interested in the mastering. The dil se ACD that I have currently was released in 2011, and is nowhere close to the original in terms of dynamics. Unfortunately someone pinched the first release from my library :)

You can compare your copy with the Spotify version. I found it to be better than the one on mastering project

I had been looking for a Dil Se CD for a while now, to use as a reference disc ( I Love the album)
I had heard the song on The remastering project and it triggered my need to get the original song
I found the DVD - I know technically a 448 kbps AC3 compressed stream is theoretically inferior, but practically what's the difference?

448 Kbps is almost as good as the lossless so technically should be good. the LP of Dil se was very good so I would think the mastering for the DVD also must be good

Hi ,
Relevant to this discussion , i used to have a Marantz SACD/Bluray player which had a feature that could play the Audio Only from a DVD/Bluray , i found it to be a lot inferior to the official audio cd/s of the same concerts released EVERY time.
Rightfully as you have noticed - technically it is inferior to the WAV format , i find it to be practically so as well
Having said this i have also found some very good recordings on 320kbps - hard to distinguish between the cd and rip - but these are few and far between.
Hope this helps, Cheers!

, i have listened some songs . Good songs select , quality also good, compare , some online music
Hi Mahi, yes you're right. Many of the digital transfers of the soundtracks from the 80-90s which had analog masters were poor, also mp3 encoding in some cases ruined it. This channel is meant to improve that to sound as close to the analog equivalents, which is difficult, but in some cases he has done an excellent job, and that too he's offering for free, so who is complaining :)

Hi
Also additionally a 'Remaster' , isn't necessarily the best out there as it depends on various factors[Like the skill of the person remastering/equipment used etc] . i have a few albums where the remaster has been inferior to the original old [AAD ]recording. Go figure!!
Most of my feedback though comes from Jazz / Rock listening so that might make a difference too

Hi
Also additionally a 'Remaster' , isn't necessarily the best out there as it depends on various factors[Like the skill of the person remastering/equipment used etc] . i have a few albums where the remaster has been inferior to the original old [AAD ]recording. Go figure!!
Most of my feedback though comes from Jazz / Rock listening so that might make a difference too
Hi, your views are true when it comes to those Rock remastered copies from Universal et al. But when it comes to Indian music from the 80s, the digital transfers have been poor in many cases and no one cared. Lucky folks with the original or NM LP pressing are the exception here, for the rest of us such remasters do help in reliving the old times :)

Hi Sandeep, Totally agreed , its sad about the effort we have put into saving our music. I listen to Indian classical (instrumental mostly)as well as old rock n jazz and our classical recordings are extremely hard to come by (even second hand or downloads - leave alone original cds). I myself am lucky enough to have a fair amount of Indian music on cds but its just gettin worse to source and there is no attempt whatsoever to reissue/release these gems. I guess there are too few takers for the record labels to go the distance. In fact, i seem to find Indian music being sold abroad almost as much as here.
We probably digress here :), apologies to Greenhorn!

Hi Sandeep, Totally agreed , its sad about the effort we have put into saving our music. I listen to Indian classical (instrumental mostly)as well as old rock n jazz and our classical recordings are extremely hard to come by (even second hand or downloads - leave alone original cds). I myself am lucky enough to have a fair amount of Indian music on cds but its just gettin worse to source and there is no attempt whatsoever to reissue/release these gems. I guess there are too few takers for the record labels to go the distance. In fact, i seem to find Indian music being sold abroad almost as much as here.
We probably digress here :), apologies to Greenhorn!
Yes. For classical music, please refer this thread, you'll find few labels and online resources https://www.hifivision.com/threads/natural-sounding-albums-in-this-digital-era.75809/

Depending on what is ur equipment's ability to resolve more, the difference can be noticeable / subtle.

Disclaimer- I'm not supporting piracy in any way.
I've 2001 released Dil se ACD but don't know how it is compared to first released version, if mods allow i can upload just one song to test its dynamics.

This question was in my mind for long because ACD was not always superior and sometimes the same songs in bluray sounds good.
Quality of Songs in ACD v/s DVD v/s Bluray v/s Amazon music/ YT Music
Can someone please clarify the bit rate in each?

This question was in my mind for long because ACD was not always superior and sometimes the same songs in bluray sounds good.
Quality of Songs in ACD v/s DVD v/s Bluray v/s Amazon music/ YT Music
Can someone please clarify the bit rate in each?
Hi Sunil,
This is my understanding, I don't know about Bluray audio. At any bitrate, my personal preference is for a good master though, since I don't have golden ears :)
ACD - 1411 kbps WAV
DVD - video -192kbps(for stereo) and 448kbps AC3(for 5.1) [DVD-Audio on the other hand can go all the way upto 24bit/192kHz]
Amazon music - 256kbps mp3
YT music - 256kbps aac

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back