Art Films, also known as Parallel Cinema HINDI

mmail552000

Looking for the Best of Art Films seen, Please Share your recommendations. The movies I saw are as below to name a few

• Ek Ruka Hua Faisla
  • Jane Do Bhi Yaaro
  • Monsoon Wedding
  • Mandi
  • Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda
  • shatranj ke khiladi

Manthan, Ardh Satya, Aakrosh, Manthan, Garam Hawa. Ek doctor ki maut, All I have seen in bits and pieces. Only Ek Doctor ki maut I have seen full. That too long time a go on Doordarshan' and I liked it.
Regards.

Would Mirch Masala be a 'Art Cinema" ? may be a Movie buff can tell. But I loved that film. Too many super actors in that film.
Regards.

Looking for the Best of Art Films seen, Please Share your recommendations. The movies I saw are as below to name a few

• Ek Ruka Hua Faisla
  • Jane Do Bhi Yaaro
  • Monsoon Wedding
  • Mandi
  • Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda
  • shatranj ke khiladi
I have seen all of these, Surprisingly all of them are made in 80s - 90s, but quite relevant in the geo-political scenario of 2018. Ek Ruka hua faisla is probably most underrated one among i think ; Add 'Party ' to the list.

Previously there were few specific directors who used to do such movies to be considered for national awards; Shyam Benegal, Govind Nihlani etc.. Few of the mainstream directors have started their careers with parallel cinema ; Mahesh Bhatt is one such example, currently with the advent of streaming services and YouTube, they have much more versatile ways to reach the target audience (without needing to beg the traditional distributor network to showcase their movies) and thankfully they're making enough money too.

Exceptional movies and amazing actors.

Adding few more to your list.
Bhavni Bhavai, Salim Langde Pe Mat Ro, Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyoon Aata Hai, Arohan, Godam, Kitab, Arvind Desai Ki Ajeeb Dastaan, 27 Down, Pestonji, Masey Sahib, Ankur, Arth, Mohan Joshi Hazir Ho, Diksha, Aghaat, Rui Ka Bojh, Saransh, Katha, Jane bhi do yaro,

if you have watched Zubeidaa and haven't watched Mammo (Zubeidaa can be seen as prequel of Mammo) then please watch. Basically all Shyam Benegal movies are must watch. His later movies like Welcome to Sajjanpur and Well done Abba have messages with comic touch.
Also how one can forget Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro.
We can put all gulzar movies too in the list (e.g. Masoom, Mausam, Kitaab, Machis, Ijazat).
80's commercial movies were crap but art films were really good.
Also try to watch some old doordarshan telefilms like Satyjit Ray's Sadgati.

I have many Hindi art movies even some regional as well, mostly are released on Cinemas of India series.

27 Down
Aankhon Dekhi
Aashad Ka Ek Din
Antareen
Aranyak
Arvind Desai Ki Ajeeb Dastaan
Chalo America
Char Adhyay
Current
Dance Like A Man
Dance of the Wind
Dattak
Devi - Ahilya Bai
Dharavi
Diksha
Duvidha
Ek Din Achanak
Ek Doctor Ki Maut
Ek Ghar
Five By Four
Gaman
Gandhi (Blu-ray)
Gangoobai
Godam
He...
Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro
Kali Salwaar
Kamla Ki Maut
Mammo
Massey Sahib
Mirch Masala
Miss Beatty's Children
Miss Lovely (Blu-ray)
Naseem
Nazar
Paar
Party
Pestonjee
Raghu Romeo
Rui Ka Bojh
Salaam Bombay (Blu-ray)
Salim Langde Pe Mat Ro
Sanshodhan
Suraj Ka Satvan Ghoda
Tarpan
The Making of Mahatma
Train To Pakistan
Trishagni
Triyacharitra
Uski Roti
Woh Chhokri
Annhey Ghorey Da Daan (Punjabi)
Marhi Da Deeva (Punjabi)
Qissa (Punjabi)

Some others are:
1947-Earth
36 Chowringhee Lane
Ankur
Arth
Bandit Queen (Blu-ray)
Bhumika
Chakra
Droh-Kaal
Ek Ruka Hua Faisla
Fire
Junoon
Kalyug
Khamosh Pani
Kondura
Mandi
Manthan
Mukti Bhawan
Nishant
Saaransh
Sparsh
Trikal
Vijeta
etc.

I have mostly all Gulzar movies. Some Mahesh Bhatt's movies are also good (Arth in mentioned above) Kabzaa, Zakhm, Tamanna etc.
I would like to add some more which I don't have right now but I have watched these, are:
Sardari Begum
Is Raat Ki Subah Nahin
Godmother
Darmiyaan
Dev
Hu Tu Tu (Gulzar)
etc.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? A great collection - I’ve seen half of them and most of the rest are on my watch list. Some new names in there I intend to look up.

Guys, If you are interested in international art films, check the app MUBI. I’ve been a happy camper for almost three years now.

Wow, how did I miss this thread? A great collection - I’ve seen half of them and most of the rest are on my watch list. Some new names in there I intend to look up.

Guys, If you are interested in international art films, check the app MUBI. I’ve been a happy camper for almost three years now.
That's nice. It would be great if you recommend some international art movies. I love Woody Allen, François Truffaut, Atom Egoyan kind of movies.

That's nice. It would be great if you recommend some international art movies. I love Woody Allen, François Truffaut, Atom Egoyan kind of
Thanks for the movie list. As Sachin mentioned, Mubi is an excellent choice for art house movies from India which is lacking with the Criterion channel.
International movies: I really enjoyed watching the following movies on Criterion recently. You might like them :)
Gabriel Axel- Babette’s feast
Olivier Assayas - Clouds of Sils Maria, Personal Shopper, Summer hours
Michael Haneke - Cache, The Piano Teacher
Abbas Kiarostami- Certified Copy,
Maren Ade - Forest for the trees, Everyone else
Ildiko Enyedi - On body and soul
Ingmar Bergman - The seventh seal

That's nice. It would be great if you recommend some international art movies. I love Woody Allen, François Truffaut, Atom Egoyan kind of movies.

Oh, that’s like an ocean! And I may not have tasted even a cupful. So let me just list down a few recent films I watched on MUBI (and liked) in the last few months instead:

Moonlight (Oscar winner, incidentally)
Three Colors (anthology by Kieowski, I like his style)
A Short film about Love; Blind Chance; (Kieslowski all)
Araby (Arabic based in Brazil)
We are Mari Pepa (Mexican)
Iranian (Tamadon)
The Bridge of Arts (French, Eugene Green)
Summer Hours (French, Juliette Binoche in the lead)
Filantropica (French)
The Living World (Eugene Green, Belgian)
Jaquot de Nantes (French Director’s Biopic)

it’s tough to remember many of the gems I saw before that on MUBI.

Apart from this all movies by Wes Anderson and John Madden I love. But the one English movie that I rate the highest is English Patient by Anthony Minghella. Also like Soviet movies by Parajanov.

To the huge list of Indian art films already in this thread I’d like to add a few:
- Ship of Theseus (Anand Gandhi)
- Samna, Sinhasan, Jait are Jait, Bhumika and every other movie by Jabbar Patel (mostly Marathi)
- New age Marathi movies by Paresh Mokashi, Sumitra Bhave,
- Gangs of Wasseypur (I consider it art though many might differ) and many others by Anurag Kashyap
- Ankhon Dekhi (Rajat Kapoor)
- A Billion Color Story
- All Hansal Mehta movies
- All movies directed by Amol Palekar
- Earlier movies by Madhur Bhandarkar
- Some od Dibakar Banerjee
- New Malayalam movies by Anjali Menon
- Vishal Bharadwaj’s Shakespearean adaptation
- Movies and shorts by Neeraj Ghaywan
- Marathi ahe Hindi films by Nishikant Kamat
- Nagesh Kukunoor’s most movies
- Movies by Nila Madhab Panda
- Even some of RGV’s best (he could go from best to worst)
- Sudhir Mishra (Hazaaron Khwaishey Aisi, Dharavi, Chameli, Main Zinda Hoon etc)
- Every movie made by Saeed Akhtar Mirza
- Ritesh Batra is a new director I am liking as well (famous for Lunchbox, see Photograph, his latest)

Let me stop. Or else this can go on and on.

International movies: I really enjoyed watching the following movies on Criterion recently.

Sandeep, how did you access the Criterion Channel in India?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandeep, how did you access the Criterion Channel in India?
Sachin, you’re right, the subscription is available currently in US/Canada alone, but fortunately they’ve not gone for any geo restriction while accessing a subscription which is already active (as of now). I had created mine while I was there and keep renewing it, I can access the catalog from here without any issue. It works on FireTV and Mac/iOS. If you’re planning to get one you can ask somebody over there to create an account with payment information, and use it here (there’s a 2 week trial for new users). Needless to say, it’s a treasure trove of great international cinema with extra footage, but Indian content is very less (restricted to around a dozen titles from Satyajit Ray and Ritwik Ghatak)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back