Asus Xonar DG Audio Card
zn52906.jpg

Xonar DG PCB
zn52926.jpg

Plugged in PCI slot
zn52934.jpg

In Work
zn52937.jpg

After a lot of research & web hunting I finally came to the conclusion that Asus Xonar DG is the best VFM sound card out there & yes it beats the crap out of similarly priced Creative sound cards & onboard audio for sure.

I bought the DG from Kolkata @ INR 1,475 + VAT. The card is truly truly great in terms audio sound quality. Also my PC audio rig is very non PC type:eek:hyeah:, it consists of my mighty Yamaha DSP-A2070 audio amp + Sony bookshelf speakers which can pluck even very sensitive & minute imperfections in sound quality.

Since I am just an audiophyte and thus tend to belong to the camp of so called "purist", I generally give next to no importance to features like Dolby headphone, GX2.5 gaming engine with latest EAX audio, Smart Volume normalizer, VocalFX, FlexBass & DSP features that this card comes laden with.

I am in music i.e. 2 channel analog audio to be precise, so I simply open the DG interface and click the Hi-Fi button, and the sound card simply shuts down all those above features & the audio signal is delivered to the amp in the reference level (the graphic equalizer in default position).

Just after installing the card I immediately found the difference between the three sound sources my PC audio setup was plugged into:

Realtek ALC888 [onboard audio] : These realtek's produce prodigious bass with high gain. I mean you will be really happy if you are a bass head like me who always wants stomping bass but this comes at a cost, weak mids & very poor highs. The resolution & separation of highs is almost non existent and mids are just ok. The background instrumentation sounded a little lost on the Realtek codec & the sound appeared sort of mashed things together under a heavy bass line.

VIA VT1705 [onboard Audio] : The VIA's have much better mids & highs with much more detailing & separation. But what it lacked is bass, it seems the lower audio frequencies have been deliberately cut off. The gain of this chip is very low & it seems that your system is anemic and have no volume.

Asus Xonar DG : It is just amazing that after cashing a mere sum of INR 1.5K you get a real boost in sound quality. I mean it is worth every penny of its worth & I highly recommend it to anyone who have at least a half decent audio setup or head phone.

The best aspect of DG is its nature of bordering on neutrality with a little amount of programmed extra excitement. Simply put this card is designed to give things like drums, base guitar and vocals a little extra pop & I'm a total sucker for pop, too, especially since it often amplifies my favorite elements of a given song. The ALC888 & the VIA has some extra kick of its own, but not like the DG.

Here, the question isn't whether there's bias, but what, if anything, that bias costs you. On the DG, I'm left with the impression that Asus has nudged up the volume on a couple of instruments without messing with the rest of the band. With the Realtek codec, it sounds like the drums and vocals have been turned way up, robbing focus and bandwidth from the rest of the spectrum while the VIA codec have toned down bass while the highs are turned way up. All the three solutions are guilty of massaging the sound a little before passing it to my ears, but the DG's touch doesn't disturb the surroundings, while the onboard audio can trample on background instrumentals and other subtleties.

For the first time ever I was able to hear bass 'tone' from my PC audio setup. The DG may not produce heaven on earth all robbing bass, but it produces base which is much tighter, focused & precise with a tone in it. Not just "boom boom" of realtek. I noticed now there is a dead space or vacuum between two consecutive drum kicks and this serene silence between two consequent drums beats points out that the bass is way tighter than realteks. The mids & highs are exemplary on DG, each instruments is given its space in the audio spectrum not to mention the distinct clear vocals. The separation & detailing in sound are immediately perceivable and boy-o-boy i want to rock.

You may suppose my enthusiasm for the DG is some what over whelming & yes this budget Xonar DG may have had features clipped here and there, but it still retains a few key ingredients that should have widespread appeal: headphone amp & excellent sound output quality. Most folks can do without support for 192kHz sampling rates(DG maxes out at 24bit 96Hz), I mean for me CD quality 16 bit resolution & 44.1khz sampling rate is more than enough & surely this card is best paired with analog output devices, anyway.

Perhaps the most surprising positive aspect about the Xonar DG is how well it performed in different subjective & objective audio tests as found in the web. In one review most of the time, the majority of their blind test listeners thought the low end Asus DG($30) sounded better than the top of the range & way more expensive Asus Xense($280). Well DG for sure do not posses better bit-perfect reproduction of the original source than Xense, but sounded much better & more pleasing to their ears, anyway. The extra pop Asus programmed into the DG is sure to aggravate purists. After reading quite & few reviews of the Xonar lineup, I came to the conclusion that DG has more bass than all the other models.

Asus also included a headphone amp in this card in order to power up and feed more current to big headphones having impedance of over 150 ohms. Getting to this mode will cause my DSP-A2070 go back to "gorilla mode" from the "connoisseur mode" & with this amount of current feeding the amp, I immediately get back my so loved stupendous balls to the walls bass. And amazingly, this time around the prodigious bass does not mask the mids & highs.:)

Still i rate the normal 2 channel "connoisseur mode" overall better at having more detail. I am changing & training my ears to listen to HiFi mode only with headphone amp switched off, I want quality over quantity this time around.

That brings us to the question whether one really need a sound card at all. The simple answer is no. One can get by with integrated audio and live blissfully unaware of what you're missing or stubbornly claim that no difference exists. The question is not whether you need those upgrades, but if they're worth the additional expense. In the case of the INR 1.5K Xonar DG, the answer is a definitive yes. If anybody have a halfway decent headphones or speakers, the DG offers a very real step up in sound quality for what amounts to a pittance.

Last edited:
Excellent review. The real-world terminology is very clear --- like a travelogue where we is made to feel as if we are really there, taking in the same view as the writer.

I think that on-board sound has improved a lot in recent years. At first, of course, it was not there, and the early soundblaster cards were just that: sound blasters! Then that level of performance, or not much better, moved "on-board."

Even though my current device is an external, firewire interface, I am a great believer that good analogue sound can be had direct from a PC, and from internal devices too.

I think I must be on about step four of my PC audio-interface journey, and yes it is getting expensive (although actually, inflation considered, my step-three card was probably much more expensive than my current interface) but I still remember the audible satisfaction in moving away from the on-board to even a modest add-in card. I confess that I haven't given my current PC's on-board a listen, as I have had other, favourite, equipment to connect up instead, but I suspect that it would be, as you put it, getting by when something so much better can be had for a modest investment.

By the way... excuse me if I am wrong, but I think your CPU heatsink needs to have the dust removed? You may find that that results in the fan running slower and thus making less noise.

Beware! You have taken a step along a path that leads to more expensive sound cards, bigger, quieter fans --- and all that stuff! :eek:hyeah: But I enjoy it. Some build the Home Theatre PC, some build an audio PC that fits in on the hifi rack; I like getting good sound out of the machine that I use for everything else as well :cool:

Thats nice review.Asus also claimed in past that earlier xonar DX is better for music than D2X which is actually cheaper.
At least on their website they promote that.
Can you let us know the software & setting used to play music?

DAC & specifications of DG-
DAC chip is Cirrus Logic CS4245*1 (104dB DNR, Max. 192KHz/24bit) for fronts,
{Whereas DX uses Cirrus-Logic CS4398*1 for Front-Out (120dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)}

Rest Cirrus Logic CS4361*1 (103dB DNR, Max. 192KHz/24bit),
{DX-Cirrus-Logic CS4362A*1 for other 6 channels (114dB SNR, Max. 192kHz/24bit)}

Last edited:
This makes for a very Interesting review and read.

You took a Primary Headphone sound Card, combined them with a Sony Bookshelf speaker probably used in some sony mini-hifi system and reviewed the card.

Last edited:
Ther was asus website for xonar,where DX was linked under "Music Enthusiastic" & D2X in "Home theater"......Now they have changed the site.

spiro I was not able to find any info which says DX is better than D2X in the website link you provided. Maybe they have changed it. But then why?

I believe that comparing two sound cards just by raw technical data like SNR & DAC performance can be counterproductive sometimes. Same goes for APU.

I mean well there may be an audible difference between 90db SNR & 110db, but I do not know how many people can tell a difference between 105 & 110db just by listening.

One have to understand though "sound quality" is a technical term, it is generally taken subjectively. The sound signature of every Xonar is different and it is upto your ears of which signature it likes.:)

Which software did you use?setting?

I am using there latest driver (7.12.8.1794) which was an 27.06.2011 update. My OS is Win 7 x64 Ultimate.

My default sampling rate is 44.1 kHz with 2 speaker analog out. There is a small button on the front facia saying 'HF' which means HiFi. This always remains on for me. All the other settings stays off. HiFi button will stop you from making any setting changes. Also for music i do not need them.

Actually ASUS says to use the HiFi button & do all kinds of analytical tests (RMMA) in order to measure the cards performance. So I think you get a very good idea that this tiny green button will provide you the best sound quality this card is capable of.

spiro i have seen in other posts that you are using UniXonar drivers for your D2X & you said they are better. Are they really better than stock drivers?

Is there any hardcore proof of real performance gain like objective RMMA tests between stock drivers & this UniXonar drivers which points out there is real step in audio sound quality improvement?

Or you measured the sound quality improvement subjectively?

Last edited:
thanks rishiguru,
I have ordered one, lets see how this works.
will upgrade my speakers soon.
BTW, can you pls. suggest some good musical computer speakers under rs. 5000.

spiro i have seen in other posts that you are using UniXonar drivers for your D2X & you said they are better. Are they really better than stock drivers?

Is there any hardcore proof of real performance gain like objective RMMA tests between stock drivers & this UniXonar drivers which points out there is real step in audio sound quality improvement?

Or you measured the sound quality improvement subjectively?

IMO D2X drivers are not that good.I have not done technical analysis,but I can trust my ears.
If I use D2X drivers,I feel the sound dull.UNIXONAR drivers sound more musical with my ATHM50 headphones.There is a low latency option too.Even you can use Cmedia original control panal with the.

In short music is more enjoyable with unixonar.I even tried lattest D2X driver,but like unixonar more.:)

rishiguru, Thank you for this review. Nice to know about such an affordable option for pc audio enthusiasts. Have you listened to the Xonar STX by any chance?
I had already your write up on the DG in TE, didnt see your post in HFV till now.

IMO D2X drivers are not that good.

How do you know that? You mean they do not sound good to your ears, right?

There is a low latency option too.Even you can use Cmedia original control panal with the.

Are they really useful? I mean did you get any real improvement using those settings?

I have not done technical analysis,but I can trust my ears. If I use D2X drivers,I feel the sound dull.

Now I get the complete picture. The Unixonar drivers are actually adding a little bit of extra programmed 'pop' to make it sound more musical, right? Base must be better this time, right?

You know spiro in my short one year journey in the golden world of audiophilla I have met & talked with many interesting & knowledgeable people. Call it sheer luck or co-incidence but i had the honor to met people whom you may think do not even exist in India.

Let me give you a hint, there are very few elderly members in this forum who observe from a higher level to the various topics of different threads and participate only in those which they think are worth it. These people are so educated & knowledgeable they actually design the audio gear that we dream of.

Of the few reviews that I have written in my limited knowledge regarding my stuff like Norge 1000 amp & Yamaha DSP-A2070 amp, one of these elite person may have found something in my review & sent me a private message for a chat in phone.

I cannot provide his real identity, but he has done M.Tech & Phd in Sound Engineering from the world's best University and worked as a sound engineer in companies whose product are beyond the reach of mere mortals like me and is currently the principal chief audio designer of a very world renounced speaker company which sells 30 lakh for a pair of floorstanders. And he is a professional violin player too.

I had a conversation with him in phone that lasted for three hours (the best three hours on phone in my life:)), and was later invited to his home to have an audition of his audio gear in Kolkata base. He does not live here anyway.

When you are communicating or be with a person with this amount of caliber & supreme knowledge in the audio field, petty questions precipitate & real questions arise. So, one of my questions was:

How I am going to identify 'true & pure' sound quality in my untrained ears?

Ans: The sound will be "DULL". Also the sound signature will be very lean & smooth with zero hint of harshness.

----------

So you see by using the Unixonar drivers you are actually decreasing 'pure' sound quality & opting for a sound signature which has a little bit of programmed extra 'pop' and thus more pleasing to your ears. By mentioning D2X with default drivers provide "DULL" sound, you have said it all by yourself.

UNIXONAR drivers sound more musical with my ATHM50 headphones...........In short music is more enjoyable with unixonar.I even tried lattest D2X driver,but like unixonar more.:)

I personally believe that ASUS with the range topping D2X (3 years before) & with there current Xense had gone for 'pure' bit perfect sound quality reproduction with zero amount of added 'pop'. They must have known that this will rob some of the added 'zing' they could have programmed into the audio card sound signature but with the price they are asking it will be better to be 'bit perfect' than to provide 'little pop'. In other words an audio card for the 'purist'.

Outcome: Ruler flat frequency response with zero 'pop'.

After three very successful years, the ASUS marketing team may have thought they need a low end bare to basic card, since this card will sell the most & will be the cash cow of the entire Xonar line up.

This marketing teams generally provides an upper limit ($30) & basic output configuration requirement like 5.1(from market research) to the technical team who are going to actually design & develop this card.

Now this technical team having designed cards like Xense, Essence One, Essence STX which can slay RMMA tests with testers scratching there heads as to find out one single loophole in the RMMA graphs and failing to do so, where given this very rare opportunity to create a solid performing sound card which costs next to nothing.

Also remember that a high quality engineer generally takes ten times more pleasure in designing & developing an equipment that can be enjoyed by masses rather than few people. This is the time when all their acquired knowledge they have painstakingly learnt is going to precipitate to the masses with no shackles from the management & marketing team. Secondly, this option provides the engineers with the biggest challenge, to provide solid audio performance with a little bit backdated & thus cheap hardware components without sacrificing too much quality & performance at rock bottom price. This is 10x tougher than to design a high quality $300 card.

With the INR 1.5K, DG there hands were free no body was asking a lot from this card because it cost next to nothing. The engineers this time around while maintained the solid performance heredity of D2X or Xense, had the added liberty to provide a little bit of pre programmed extra pop in the sound signature without disturbing the entire audio frequency spectrum that ultimately sound more musical than D2X or Xense for that matter. With three years of experience in developing drivers for there sound cards, they knew exactly what they have to do both hardware wise & driver wise to provide this extra 'pop'.

Outcome: A frequency response curve which is almost flat with the added 'pop' thus sounding more musical.

Remember i am speaking all of this for a subjective point of view so it may differ from person to person. So in the end, it may surprise all, but Asus Xonar 'DG' may be the masterpiece of the entire Xonar range. :)

Last edited:
So in the end, it may surprise all, but Asus Xonar 'DG' may be the masterpiece of the entire Xonar range. :)

I would totally agree to this fact except for this very rigid unchangeable fact that Xonar DG uses a inferior C-media CMI8786 while other Xonars use Asus AV 100 or 200 also termed as CMI8788 HD along with DAC TI Burr Brown PCM1796.

The quality just shows and there is just not a minute but huge sound difference especially in the mids warmth between sound card preferred to headphone usage and ones that are for overall audio gear.

Forget software coding .The raw pure hardware simply cannot be ignored.

Last edited:
I would totally agree to this fact except for this very rigid unchangeable fact that Xonar DG uses a inferior C-media CMI8786 while other Xonars use Asus AV 100 or 200 also termed as CMI8788 HD along with DAC TI Burr Brown PCM1796.

The quality just shows and there is just not a minute but huge sound difference especially in the mids warmth between sound card preferred to headphone usage and ones that are for overall audio gear.

Forget software coding .The raw pure hardware simply cannot be ignored.

freshseasons look at its price of DG, INR 1.5K. Do you really expect Burr Brown DAC's in this card. Be a little logical my friend.

There is always going to be a difference between an INR 1.5K & an INR 15K audio card in terms of performance. Look at it in this way that at that mere sum DG is providing so much.

A masterpiece equipment is not the one with max performance with max price, but it the one which provides exceptional performance at it price.

Last edited:
I believe that comparing two sound cards just by raw technical data like SNR & DAC performance can be counterproductive sometimes. Same goes for APU.
Especially as the specs are produced by the manufaturer! ;)
I mean well there may be an audible difference between 90db SNR & 110db, but I do not know how many people can tell a difference between 105 & 110db just by listening.
You can get a practical idea of what this is about. Record some "silence" from your sound card. You may notice that the level meters are flickering at the lower levels. This is the noise you are recording along with any music. A purist can take a sample of this noise and use noise reduction techniques available in your waved editor to reverse it out from the recording.

After reading about this in the text book, I thought I'd give it a try. Then I thought to amplify it to see how much amplification it takes before it becomes audible --- and it is a lot!

freshseasons look at its price of DG, INR 1.5K. Do you really expect Burr Brown DAC's in this card. Be a little logical my friend.

There is always going to be a difference between an INR 1.5K & an INR 15K audio card in terms of performance. Look at it in this way that at that mere sum DG is providing so much.

A masterpiece equipment is not the one with max performance with max price, but it the one which provides exceptional performance at it price.

Aaah now we are talking economic here! This is new.
Ofcourse i dont expect 1.5K card to have Burr Brown DAC.
No idiot would do so.
It's just the your last sentence of this being the best card made me think this isn't actually the best card from Asus Xonar series for a fact, even though its the cheapest.With the best it means best irrespective of the economics.
You can't say a Tata Nano though the cheapest car that one can take from point A to B on this planet is best and that its a Masterpiece because it was made this cheap and that it has rear driven wheels just like a Porsche carrera.
The best and Masterpiece remains Buggati Veyron irrespective of price.

Masterpiece is defined as the best Art produced by the artiest.The Best is defined as the number uno.Nothing comes above it however cheap even if it ends second.

And about Xonar DG yes its a value for money card,which is good /ok. Calling it best because its cheap is sacrilege. Forget even value for money here. This is murder for audiophile aficionado.

The difference between 2 cars that does 10 secs to get to 100 km and one that takes 8 secs to get to 100kms would be theoretically 2 secs. For car connoisseurs this2 secs is nothing less than 2 weeks.

And so goes the theory of sound reproduction. The art is not in getting from 0 to 90% good quality sound.The struggle and price is for that remaining 90 to 95%.That 5 % makes it a day and night for Audiophiles.

Excellent review. The real-world terminology is very clear --- like a travelogue where we is made to feel as if we are really there, taking in the same view as the writer.

Thanks for the appreciation Thad.:)

By the way... excuse me if I am wrong, but I think your CPU heatsink needs to have the dust removed? You may find that that results in the fan running slower and thus making less noise.

Yeah the CPU heatsink needs cleaning. I will do so within few days.

Beware! You have taken a step along a path that leads to more expensive sound cards, bigger, quieter fans --- and all that stuff! :eek:hyeah: But I enjoy it. Some build the Home Theatre PC, some build an audio PC that fits in on the hifi rack; I like getting good sound out of the machine that I use for everything else as well :cool:

I have such great friends like you & all other members in hifivision, I know I will always be guided in the right path. And yes there is no finishing line in the quest of audio nirvana, you go on pouring more and more money & your rig gets better & better until you find your bank balance is nill.:D

Especially as the specs are produced by the manufaturer! ;)

Yes, the SNR & other technical specs can sometimes be a little misleading.

You can get a practical idea of what this is about. Record some "silence" from your sound card. You may notice that the level meters are flickering at the lower levels. This is the noise you are recording along with any music. A purist can take a sample of this noise and use noise reduction techniques available in your waved editor to reverse it out from the recording. After reading about this in the text book, I thought I'd give it a try. Then I thought to amplify it to see how much amplification it takes before it becomes audible --- and it is a lot!

My onboard realtek had DAC is capable of 97db SNR. I pump the volume to half and record the 'silence' sound, I notice distinct background noise.

My Xonar DG have DAC is capable of 105db SNR a modest increase of 8db over realtek. Now I record some 'silence' at half volume, I cannot hear any human perceptible noise, then I take it to full volume still I cannot hear anything.

I connect my card to my amp take it to full volume with 'silence mode' (my Yam is pumping out a brazen 527 watts of pure RMS power) and then I can hear a very very very very little amount of noise which may have been generated by the amp.

All the db snr values are logitharmic, even 1 db change in value has an impact.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Aaah now we are talking economic here! This is new.
Ofcourse i dont expect 1.5K card to have Burr Brown DAC.
No idiot would do so.
It's just the your last sentence of this being the best card made me think this isn't actually the best card from Asus Xonar series for a fact, even though its the cheapest.With the best it means best irrespective of the economics.
You can't say a Tata Nano though the cheapest car that one can take from point A to B on this planet is best and that its a Masterpiece because it was made this cheap and that it has rear driven wheels just like a Porsche carrera.
The best and Masterpiece remains Buggati Veyron irrespective of price.

Masterpiece is defined as the best Art produced by the artiest.The Best is defined as the number uno.Nothing comes above it however cheap even if it ends second.

And about Xonar DG yes its a value for money card,which is good /ok. Calling it best because its cheap is sacrilege. Forget even value for money here. This is murder for audiophile aficionado.

The difference between 2 cars that does 10 secs to get to 100 km and one that takes 8 secs to get to 100kms would be theoretically 2 secs. For car connoisseurs this2 secs is nothing less than 2 weeks.

And so goes the theory of sound reproduction. The art is not in getting from 0 to 90% good quality sound.The struggle and price is for that remaining 90 to 95%.That 5 % makes it a day and night for Audiophiles.

freshseasons, you are still not able to grasp what we are talking about here. No body including me said that DG produces the best bit perfect sound in the world.

-----------------------------

Secondly, If you are talking about sports cars, the best sports car in the world till now is the McLaren F1, built 100 units selling at 1 million dollars each back in 1995 currently they have a minimum resale value of over 2 million dollars. That's some resale value.

Designed by Gordan Murray (FIA F1 car designer) & built in McLaren facilities this sports car have F1 style central seating position with highly tuned 6.1 litre BMW power V12 engine. F1 was the first road car to be completely made out of carbon fiber. The engine bay was completely lined with gold, not for show but since it is the best reflector of heat. So you see McLaren F1 is about pure performance & function. Having a power to weight ratio of 550 bhp/ton this car though made for normal roads, won the respected & revered 24 hours Le Mans race on its first outing. That's some racing pedigree. Of course only if you truly understand the meaning & the def of a sports car you will be able to forsee what I mean to say.

McLaren F1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regarding your Volkwagen owned Buggatti Veyron : Just my talking a chepo Volkwagen's W configuration four cylinder engine and adding the number to sixteen cylinders and then adding four turbos and using steel tubes at the engine assembly rather than carbon fiber thus increasing the overall mass to over 2 ton with such high CG, having interiors which can be best described as beautiful and not purely functional cannot be in any case be considered a sports car. And yes you will find no gold lining in the engine bay but you will find it in the car interiors for opulence. This car is a grand tourer & in no way can be be told a sports car. Great in a straight line but & elephant in corners.:)

Gordon Murray, designer of the McLaren F1 (which for many years was the fastest production car ever built) said the following about the Bugatti Veyron in UK auto magazine evo during its development period: "The most pointless exercise on the planet has got to be this four-wheel-drive, thousand-horsepower Bugatti"

Even Lotus Elise costing a fraction of it is abetter sports car. And lastly McLaren have been requested ten million times maybe for the last ten years to produce the successor of the F1. At last they have started working on this project & when this sports comes out of the McLaren garage, it is going to obliterate all record books in terms of performance which the current F1 did 15 years ago.

And again when the vote for the top 100 cars of the 21'st century came, the first and the second slots where not taken by Mclaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Maseriti, Bugatti or for the the matter any high performance car manufacturer. First place went to Ford Model T, a humble maruti 800 like car back in 1930's which a farmer could even fix while the second place went to Mini which did not even have proper suspension attached to its wheels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_of_the_Century

Why? Well what this cars did for the masses in there time period of say a decade these Ferrari's & Porsche's will not be able to do in ten centuries. So my friend these Ford T & Mini's are real masterpieces.

And Asus Xonar DG is a sound card for the masses.

Last edited:
Back