ATC SCM 19A vs 40A

karthikswaminath

Friends, greetings from Shanghai. As I let go most of my gear before moving, I am on the hunt and started research on for a decent hifi set-up.
Although I barely listened to the ATC SCM19s, I loved them paired to the LM Tube Amp.
Now, I am considering should I move to the ATC Actives.
So I am looking for some suggestions on the below options:
1 - ATC SCM 19 w/ Accuphase E-470
2 - ATC SCM 19A
3. ATC SCM -40A

I am not sure if ATC 40A would sound much better than 19A and is it really an upgrade? I couldn't find comparison on 19A vs 40A with my limited search.
I am not sure of room size etc. I am looking for options to audition them if possible.
However, wanted to start the research. Appreciate any feedback on the above options.

Thanks.

Regards
Karthik

19A would be better than 40A. Linear drivers... far superior... the 19, 19A are better than the 40 & 40A...

Also, an EAR or ATC preamp couple with the ATC actives would be far superior IMHO.

SCM19 has the superlinear driver while SCM40 has the famed ATC soft dome midrange.

To my ears, the 19 is tighter much cleaner in the low end while the 40 is more expressive in the midrange and voices.

I'd suggest you listen to both and see what floats your boat!

Thanks Malvai and Reignofchaos for the inputs.
I auditioned the ATC SCM40A. The mids, vocals and detailing was fantastic. The sound signature was similar to the passive SCM19s. However, the passive SCM19s was much punchier could be due to the linear drivers.
There was no demo unit of the SCM19A so could not audition it.
I then auditioned the famed Accupase E-650. It was paired to Tannoy Turnberry. The Accuphase was brilliant. I am now thinking if I should go for the Actives. I will post some pics separately.

Cheers
Karthik

Had a chance demo Accuphase E650 and ATC SCM40A. Below are some pics from the hifi plaza. Would be going over the weekend to check-out Harbeths and Gryphon Diablo 300.

Attachments

• IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1628.JPG
    IMG_1628.JPG
    197.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1630.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG
    256.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1638.JPG
    IMG_1638.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1634.JPG
    IMG_1634.JPG
    187.1 KB · Views: 209
a lot depends on your room too...

I have seen folks on the green forum make their choice from these two Active versions solely based on room size.

there are some as well who feel the ATC's are too "picky" with what is being played rather than to focus on the music which is another way to say - its too revealing and not for longer listening sessions..

There will be other active brands too and shanghai seems to be a nice place for audio shopping..

take your time and take whatever floats your boat..

Thanks for sharing the pics of the lovely gear. Always a pleasure to see hi end hifi demo rooms.
Would be most interested to hear your views on the Accuphase E650, kindly do the needful

a lot depends on your room too...

I have seen folks on the green forum make their choice from these two Active versions solely based on room size.

there are some as well who feel the ATC's are too "picky" with what is being played rather than to focus on the music which is another way to say - its too revealing and not for longer listening sessions..

There will be other active brands too and shanghai seems to be a nice place for audio shopping..

take your time and take whatever floats your boat..

Thanks MPW - Room size, yes i agree. I am, not going to trigger the purchase before i finalize the house :)
Shanghai is a fantastic market for hifi. There is a mall called Liying Plaza, where one can audition multiple brands. Beyond that there are other places that i am exploring.

Thanks for sharing the pics of the lovely gear. Always a pleasure to see hi end hifi demo rooms.
Would be most interested to hear your views on the Accuphase E650, kindly do the needful
Thanks JayaRaa.
After auditioning the Accuphase E650, i am leaning towards dropping the actives plan and jumping into it. I was pleasantly surprised with the mighty refined and musical power of the amplifier. I wondered will a Class A 30W be good enough. The way it was powering the Tannoys at 8 o'clock position convinced me it can power anything. We played mostly ARR songs from Jodha Akhbar, Swades and after some time there was an audience gathered to listen to them :)

We also auditioned Harbeth Super HL5S - we ran out of time and would be visiting with our CDs this or next week. Also, on the list is to audition Gryphon Diable 300. Will send pics and keep the forum posted on the adventures.

We were able to audition the Tannoy Turnberry with Accuphase E650. It was a fairly large room must be 20 feet x 30 feet. The Accuphase amplifier was brilliant and drove the Tannoy's effortlessly. We played Luka Chuppi it was sublime. The sound stage and imaging were superb. The Tannoy's are high sensitive at 93db and the Accuphase handled it well. We did feel it was a bit forward sounding and not sure of fatigue during extended listening.

We could not audition Accuphase paired with Harbeth. We played the same Luka Chupi song on the Harbeths and the dealer had Sudgen amps paired. the Harbeths were at it best - what its known for - the mid-range and vocals. I am wondering how the Harbeth's would sound with the Accuphase. I am sold on Harbeths and the Accuphase.

Last week, we went to another place to audition Gryphon Diablo 300. The dealer didn't have a demo unit. We listened to Diablo 120 with Dali Epicon. Something was missing in the set-up. We just couldn't figure out what. So, we changed the Amp to Pass Int-250. The sound improved but nothing spectacular. We don't believe it's got to do with the speakers or amp. -- must be the CD player with an in-built DAC. More later next week.....pics to follow

Bryston Diablo 120, Pass INT-250 and Dali Epicon, Onix CD Player/DAC. Line Magnetic 219a in the center (need to check it out soon).

Attachments

• 2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000255.jpg
    2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000255.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 106
  • 2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000258.jpg
    2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000258.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000257.jpg
    2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000257.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000256.jpg
    2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000256.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 103
  • 2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000259.jpg
    2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000259.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000260.jpg
    2018-05-08-PHOTO-00000260.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 101
You should try Harbeth 40.2 with Pass Labs / Air Tight / Conrad Johnson Amplification. Another speaker brand to try would be ProAC Carbon or higher end of Response series.

Thanks Hassan. The Harbeth dealer did have the 40.2. Its just over my budget and space. Surely, would audition it for the experience.
I am planning to audition the Super HL5 plus 40th anniversary. The dealer did not have it for demo. Would try my luck especially if I can audition back to the HL5+ and the 40th Anniversary. I am debating if 30% premium for the 40th anniversary is worth the walk.

The 30% premium is not worth it sir... When the owner of Harbeth does not believe in cables making much difference, what is the point of buying the 40th anniversary where they have changed the cabling inside the speakers and terminals I guess.... You should either buy the SHL5+ or the 40.2 whatever your budget permits and the sound you like IMHO

thank you Panditji for the wise advice. I just fixed an appointment with the Harbeth dealer for tomorrow. They don't have a demo unit of the 40th anniversary. So i will be able to listen to only the 30.1, HL5+ and 40.2. Mostly, I i will finalize the HL5+.
Lets see....thanks again.

Hi Karthik,

Accuphase e650 pure class A and it could easily drive Tannoy Turnberry, best matching buy you should go for 15inch driver in Tannoy Turnberry. You get wide opening sound stage also these dual concentric speakers are smooth and soft warmth too. Mid and highs are more predominant in less than 15inch Models. You won’t get depth (LF) in any other model except 15inch driver Tannoy . Average room size is more than enough for 15inch. You need to see the Tannoy speaker box weight coz there are different speaker box weights available. Choose the model which is having heavy weight model in 15 inch one when it’s sounding out should get only driver depth. If the lesser weight you get bass boomy and resonance too. In 8’O clock positioning itself you get a details and depth.

I auditioned the ATC SCM40A. The mids, vocals and detailing was fantastic. The sound signature was similar to the passive SCM19s. However, the passive SCM19s was much punchier could be due to the linear drivers.
I then auditioned the famed Accupase E-650. It was paired to Tannoy Turnberry. The Accuphase was brilliant. I am now thinking if I should go for the Actives. I will post so
I then auditioned the famed Accupase E-650. It was paired to Tannoy Turnberry. The Accuphase was brilliant. I am now thinking if I should go for the Actives. I will post some pics separately.

Cheers
Karthik

SCM 40s recommended for Home theatre purpose. It can be used for music and movies.

thanks mkprebou. I went ahead and took a demo of the Harbeth super HL5 plus. It was paired with a Sugden amp. The dealer told me that's the Amp typically Harbeth uses in their Hifi shows in Germany. Well, I read articles from Alan Shaw, Chief Designer, Harbeth who says Harbeths match with almost any amplifier. I was really impressed with the dynamics of the Sugden Masterclass Ia-4 (Class A 33W per channel) and celebrating 50th anniversary. Here are the pictures...... I must say the Harbeths are fantastic and so is the Amp. As usual the music played was Jiya Re, Rang de Basanthi and Luka Chupi

Attachments

• harbeth dealer.jpg
    harbeth dealer.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 112
  • HL5 plus with Sugden.jpg
    HL5 plus with Sugden.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Sugden (2).jpg
    Sugden (2).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Sugden.jpg
    Sugden.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 117
  • Super HL5 plus.jpg
    Super HL5 plus.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 116
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back