ATC SCM11 V2 vs SCM19 V2

muhammed_bp

In the journey of stereo listening, i incidentally purchased a pair of atc scm11 v2 and i decided this will be my last speaker. i really enjoyed its sound which paired well with my arcam sa30. i initially found the speakers lack a bit of bass, i can hear it but i felt the impact is less. As days passed i adapted to its sound and was living happily. i never thought about any upgrade until my friend who is also a member here, informed me that a pair of scm19 v2 is available and if i want i can take it for a demo at my home. i never expected there will be any significant improvement. as soon as i started playing, instantly i could hear the difference. mids became so smooth refined and the details improved.i was so impressed and never felt to give back the speakers. my decision that scm11 is my last speaker broken and i upgraded to scm19 v2. still the low frequency impact lacked and as the mids n highs became more sparkling, i added dual REL t9i s and completed the setup. so this will be my last speakers...(till i get another better speakers. 😬 )

In the journey of stereo listening, i incidentally purchased a pair of atc scm11 v2 and i decided this will be my last speaker. i really enjoyed its sound which paired well with my arcam sa30. i initially found the speakers lack a bit of bass, i can hear it but i felt the impact is less. As days passed i adapted to its sound and was living happily. i never thought about any upgrade until my friend who is also a member here, informed me that a pair of scm19 v2 is available and if i want i can take it for a demo at my home. i never expected there will be any significant improvement. as soon as i started playing, instantly i could hear the difference. mids became so smooth refined and the details improved.i was so impressed and never felt to give back the speakers. my decision that scm11 is my last speaker broken and i upgraded to scm19 v2. still the low frequency impact lacked and as the mids n highs became more sparkling, i added dual REL t9i s and completed the setup. so this will be my last speakers...(till i get another better speakers. 😬 )
When will your friend talk to you next ?
Keep your bank balance padded accordingly 😂

All I can say is join the club.

As a wise man once said :
“Keep upgrading stereos but not wives” - Anon.

You need a bigger beefier amp for the SCM19. Anywhere between 200-300W is ideal. That Arcam SA30 will really struggle to drive the SCM19.

You need a bigger beefier amp for the SCM19. Anywhere between 200-300W is ideal. That Arcam SA30 will really struggle to drive the SCM19.
i agree with u. but at present as i have spent for scm19 and two rel subs, controlling myself for time being....(dont know for how many days 😬)

And if at all upgrading, getting the bigger beefier version might not be a good idea.
I heard everything from the 11 to 100 at cinema focus. To me the best of the range is the 20. It is the cleanest sounding. The ones with bigger woofers (50/100) seemed to not be as fast as the SCM20. The 20A with a pair of C4 subs is the ideal speaker combo. It just can't be beat.

I heard everything from the 11 to 100 at cinema focus. To me the best of the range is the 20. It is the cleanest sounding. The ones with bigger woofers (50/100) seemed to not be as fast as the SCM20. The 20A with a pair of C4 subs is the ideal speaker combo. It just can't be beat.

That has been something I have felt as well for a long time.
But hard to argue about ATC's famous mid range driver in the 50/100.

Congratulations on the 19s! They are one of the best speakers available out there.
Especially after ATC now offers them with the SL driver in the V2 spec.

I am very interested in knowing how well the RELs pair with your speakers.

I agree, but my favourite of the series is the scm7, albeit without much bass below 80 hz. The bigger ATC's especially the ported ones do not have the magic that the sealed ones possess. Regardless I enjoyed the 7's, 11's and 20's both previous and current versions.
Cheers,
Sid

The active scm 20 is an outstanding speaker. It is a different pedigree and is reflected in the cost. If using the passive version, a high power amplifier is a must ( reignofchaos mentioned this already ). The scm 50 and 100 with the famous midrange drivers are awesome too. With the bigger models, room size and proper setup is key to make it sound agile. If done well, it is magic.

I agree, but my favourite of the series is the scm7, albeit without much bass below 80 hz. The bigger ATC's especially the ported ones do not have the magic that the sealed ones possess. Regardless I enjoyed the 7's, 11's and 20's both previous and current versions.
Cheers,
Sid
SCM7 is a great speaker if you only listen to acoustic and vocal music. For everything else the lack of bass is a bit too apparent IMHO.

I recently got a pair of preowned SCM19 in gloss finish for a good price. Very happy with how they sound but even the 19 needs bass reinforcement IMHO. Looking to buy a pair of subs soon. Wondering whether to go REL or ATC or DIY.

I'll decide on this once my monoblock amps arrive this month end.

my decision that scm11 is my last speaker broken and i upgraded to scm19 v2. still the low frequency impact lacked and as the mids n highs became more sparkling, i added dual REL t9i s and completed the setup. so this will be my last speakers...(till i get another better speakers. 😬 )
Wow so many last speakers ; just buy a better (powerful) amplifier, you'll not be bothered about upgrading. FMs are happy driving the floorstanders with nuprime monoblocks.
Atc SCM series likes lots of power in general, after years of deliberation I bought a new SCM 40 v2 recently, and loving it. I usually avoid buying bookshelf speakers for the bass (lack of) factor. REL usually works well with Atc.

May I ask which amps you have coming in?
Do you still have your McCormacks from a few years ago?

The amps are 400w/ch built by Aniket Das @adas in the forum. I believe @sidvee uses smaller versions of his amps.

I still have the McCormack pre+power. It gets busy/muddy/shouty at moderate to high volumes and feels as if it is struggling for current.

I shall be using this in my bedroom setup with the old be718 now. It never felt like this with the be718.

The amps are 400w/ch built by Aniket Das @adas in the forum. I believe @sidvee uses smaller versions of his amps.

I still have the McCormack pre+power. It gets busy/muddy/shouty at moderate to high volumes and feels as if it is struggling for current.

I shall be using this in my bedroom setup with the old be718 now. It never felt like this with the be718.

Interesting! Please keep us posted once you get your monoblocks.
I would have thought that the McCormacks would have had enough grunt to handle the 19s.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back