Atmos Setup Help 5.1.2

ankitm

Hello,

I currently have a 5.1 HT setup in my living room. My existing setup is as follows:

AVR - Yamaha HTR 3067
Speakers - Taga Harmony 606 SE 5.0 system
Subwoofer - Taga Harmony SW-10 v2
Media player - 4K Android TV (No atmos support in TV)
Media Player - Amazon 4K TV stick for atmos via ARC on TV

My query is:

1) AVR needs upgrade for Atmos. Which AVR can I look into within 45,000 budget. Am ok with used options if someone looking to sell PM me.
2) Suggest me for 2 ceiling speakers that I can use for atmos. Again, open to used options.
3) Where can I place these 2 ceiling speakers for best experience? Illustration of my current setup attached. If it helps actual room photos can be shared.

Attachments

• Home Theater Setup.jpg
    Home Theater Setup.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Hello,

I currently have a 5.1 HT setup in my living room. My existing setup is as follows:

AVR - Yamaha HTR 3067

My query is:

1) AVR needs upgrade for Atmos. Which AVR can I look into within 45,000 budget. Am ok with used options if someone looking to sell PM me.
2) Suggest me for 2 ceiling speakers that I can use for atmos. Again, open to used options.
3) Where can I place these 2 ceiling speakers for best experience? Illustration of my current setup attached. If it helps actual room photos can be shared.
Fire stick will only play atmos contents from Netflix. Also the firestick audio quality isn’t good enough for HT use. Installing overhead gives the best atmos effects. Refer the image which shows the lay out. Top middle, top rear or rear heights. If false ceiling you can go for the inceiling speakers from taga harmony. If concrete you have to get little creative and install BS speakers using mounts. Jbl, Sonus comes with installation kit required to mount it in the ceiling

Attachments

• 5A790ACF-B23D-4EB7-8547-5F1D49C92277.jpeg
    5A790ACF-B23D-4EB7-8547-5F1D49C92277.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 35
Adding to the previous post, do look for an AVR which can do 4 heights if budget permits. Install a pair now, preferably overhead.

Klipsch in- ceiling speakers like CS16 and CS18 are very good. Polk Audio has some very good budget options.

If you don't have in- ceiling provision, then Sonodyne Sinus 3540 and Dali Alteco are also good ones for Atmos and very simple to install.

Fire stick will only play atmos contents from Netflix. Also the firestick audio quality isn’t good enough for HT use. Installing overhead gives the best atmos effects. Refer the image which shows the lay out. Top middle, top rear or rear heights. If false ceiling you can go for the inceiling speakers from taga harmony. If concrete you have to get little creative and install BS speakers using mounts. Jbl, Sonus comes with installation kit required to mount it in the ceiling
Firetv stick doesnt play Atmos for Netflix but only for Amazon Prime content.

Hello,

AVR - Yamaha HTR 3067

My query is:

If ur sofa is placed near to the wall then go with 2 overhead speakers,4 atmos spkrs doesn't make much sense for closer to wall seating.

Thanks for your input

Can firestick play atmos through kodi or any other app that I can install on it?

I have no false ceiling.. Concrete ceiling so something with mount is what am looking at

Thanks for your input

Can firestick play atmos through kodi or any other app that I can install on it?

I have no false ceiling.. Concrete ceiling so something with mount is what am looking at
I don’t think it will. I have tried using plex and it didn’t bit stream.

Adding to the previous post, do look for an AVR which can do 4 heights if budget permits. Install a pair now, preferably overhead.

Klipsch in- ceiling speakers like CS16 and CS18 are very good. Polk Audio has some very good budget options.

If you don't have in- ceiling provision, then Sonodyne Sinus 3540 and Dali Alteco are also good ones for Atmos and very simple to install.
Not looking for 4 speakers.. Room is pretty small.. Room size is about 6ft by 10ft..

Will check your recommended speaker options..

Thanks

If ur sofa is placed near to the wall then go with 2 overhead speakers,4 atmos spkrs doesn't make much sense for closer to wall seating.
My sofa is placed next to 1 wall and that's why if you see the first post with my room illustration the left surround speaker is right there.. The rich speaker is a bit away from the sofa mounted on the wall

Looking at 2 speakers atmos setup only

Last edited:
I don’t think it will. I have tried using plex and it didn’t bit stream.
I have some movies downloaded in 7.1 atmos audio and when I try to play currently via kodi app in fire stick 4k it sounds weird unless I change it to 5.1 audio manually.. So I assumed kodi can play atmos..

I have some movies downloaded in 7.1 atmos audio and when I try to play currently via kodi app in fire stick 4k it sounds weird unless I change it to 5.1 audio manually.. So I assumed kodi can play atmos..
Playing 5.1 the avr will read the output as tru HD. In an atmos avr input should be displayed as atmos else ur not getting atmos

Playing 5.1 the avr will read the output as tru HD. In an atmos avr input should be displayed as atmos else ur not getting atmos
Yes I get that.. However my current avr does not support atmos.. So can't say for sure if kodi can play or not

Yes I get that.. However my current avr does not support atmos.. So can't say for sure if kodi can play or not
Ok if ur doubt is if firestick can bitstream in kodi no. I haven’t tested it but tried in plex and it didn’t bitstream.

If budget is a concern, look at the discounted Marantz 1609 on HifiMart. The power ratings might be on the moderate side, but since it has pre-outs for front, you can always add an external amp.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back