Atmos without 4K TV

sriram76

Hi All,

I have a question regarding my setup. I have a NR1608 receiver where I have plugged in a Fire TV Stick. The HDMI out is connecting to my 5 year old Full HD TV. Now, if I invest in a Fire TV Stick 4K, will I get Dolby Atmos and watch TV in regular full HD mode?

Thanks

Hi All,

I have a question regarding my setup. I have a NR1608 receiver where I have plugged in a Fire TV Stick. The HDMI out is connecting to my 5 year old Full HD TV. Now, if I invest in a Fire TV Stick 4K, will I get Dolby Atmos and watch TV in regular full HD mode?

Thanks
Dolby Atmos is surround sound tech and it has nothing to do with type of display used. it will work as long as you have Atmos capable TV box that is your Firestick 4k, capable receiver and essential speaker setup.

Dolby Atmos is surround sound tech and it has nothing to do with type of display used. it will work as long as you have Atmos capable TV box that is your Firestick 4k, capable receiver and essential speaker setup.
Isn't Firestick non-4k capable of Atmos audio output ?

Hi All,

Thanks
It atleast didnt work for my cousin.
He is using a 4k firetv stick connected to a full hd projector with atmos avr. I guess atmos will come only when 4k pic output available.
Later he upgraded to a 4k projector in same setup and now atmos is appearing in his avr.

For my friend also it did not work at the end, he has full hd tv and 4k fire stick...at the end went with Apple tv 4k box... which is doing atoms fine with same full hd tv.

Hi All,

Thanks
FS 4K has issues with ATMOS
- Prime won't stream in atmos as atmos stream is available only in the 4k streams
- Netflix has atmos available in 1080p streams but atmos isn't supported for Netflix by FS at all

This thread should give you a quick summary of current ATMOS support by device: Streaming device with ATMOS support

It atleast didnt work for my cousin.
He is using a 4k firetv stick connected to a full hd projector with atmos avr. I guess atmos will come only when 4k pic output available.
Later he upgraded to a 4k projector in same setup and now atmos is appearing in his avr.
I would like to differ. I have a full HD Chinese projector connected to a Marantz 4k and Atmos capable receiver. My source is Nvidia shield TV Pro 2019. I'm getting Atmos when I play Atmos movies on Netflix or external hard drive, though picture is only FHD since projector outputs only FHD even though titles are 4k on Netflix and Hard drive.

First of all .. there isn't much Atmos content on Prime. In fact just two that I know of : Jack Ryan & Carnival Row

However, Netflix is another thing .. Subscribe to the UHD Plan , install the Netflix & Dolby Atmos App on Windows 10 HTPC and voila..
You can get 1080p & Atmos over DD+ !! Works Flawless !!

I guess it would also depend on in which sequence connections are made.

If Firestick is connected to TV and sound is carried over to receiver via optical out of TV, There won't be Atmos at all as TV isn't capable enough.

If FS is connected to HDMI In of receiver and AVR can downscale from 4k to 2K, one will have a chance. Better informed people may offer their comment if this can be done or not.

First of all .. there isn't much Atmos content on Prime. In fact just two that I know of : Jack Ryan & Carnival Row

However, Netflix is another thing .. Subscribe to the UHD Plan , install the Netflix & Dolby Atmos App on Windows 10 HTPC and voila..
You can get 1080p & Atmos over DD+ !! Works Flawless !!
Thanks, this works very well and I could confirm. Used My laptop's netflix app and connected the HDMI out to Marantz. Enabled a dolby package in the OS and it worked. However, laptop is something that I do not want to use in my family room. I want this to work intuitively so I now only have Apple TV 4K or Nvidia.

Thanks all, read all the suggested threads and have decided to buy an Apple TV 4K when the stock comes back. I will also keep a watch on sales thread for seconds. My requirement mainly is to play from Netflix UHD account and get Atmos. 4k TV upgrade is going to take a while.

Hi All,

Thanks
I had been also using a similar setup - Firetv stick 4k connected to my old Sony 42' TV, which of course does not support 4K, or even the new sound technology such as atmos. Completely understand that display has nothing to do with sound, hence I am using my older AVR connected to TV sound output using optical cable. The thing is neither my AVR has ARC nor my TV, so optical was the best bet for me. I am getting usual Dolby/DTS multichannel audio quite well using my AVR, so no complains there. To summarize - Yes, you can do latest multichannel audio even with older TV, provided you have a a AVR/sound processor that can do the job.

I had been also using a similar setup - Firetv stick 4k connected to my old Sony 42' TV, which of course does not support 4K, or even the new sound technology such as atmos. Completely understand that display has nothing to do with sound, hence I am using my older AVR connected to TV sound output using optical cable. The thing is neither my AVR has ARC nor my TV, so optical was the best bet for me. I am getting usual Dolby/DTS multichannel audio quite well using my AVR, so no complains there. To summarize - Yes, you can do latest multichannel audio even with older TV, provided you have a a AVR/sound processor that can do the job.
Thanks for your response. I am already getting Dolby Digital multi-channel audio. The quest is for Dolby Atmos since I have invested ceiling speakers as well. It turns out FS 4k sucks anyway since it only works on 4k streams from Amazon and doesnt work with Neflix at all. My options are Nvidea and AppleTV 4k

If you have apple environment like iPhone iPad then go for Apple tv 4k , else nvidia..but Apple tv 4k is to some extent better than Nvidia shield..only drawback not extendable..I don't have apple environment and love Android over iOS, still later if I go for a tv box will go for Apple tv 4k. May be I have to download itunes to configure a simple apple account still , I saw the display, sound and overall appearance.... apple still hold its image and it's a better product.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back