Audio-GD DAC19

prasen_b

Has anyone tried out this DAC or any other product from this firm. Most of the feedback I have read was in the head-fi forum.

They have a couple of design/construction points that they market
- ACSS (A cloning of the CAST technology in Krell amplifiers)
- Balanced design
- DSP-1 (only applicable to the DACs)

The owner also known as Kingwa appears to be knowledgable and many of his earlier works to understand and replicate various differentiating circuits found hi-end amp (Accuphase, Krell) can be found on diyaudio.

Im also eagerly looking for reviews on audio-gd fun which is priced lower but has the same acss technology. Again feedback i read was also from head-fi. Any opinions on audio-gd dacs in general?

Yes a product specially something sold internet direct should atleast have positive reviews in multiple forums. There was a guy at audiocircle who bought the entire chain (power amp + pre + dac -> all balanced design) from him and had issues in the power amp related to bias. He rectified it and thereafter was pretty happy with its performance. The proprietor appears to be knowledgable if you follow his post in diyaudio.com (diyAudio - View Profile: audio-gd).
Of all the PCM1704 based kits or commercial product available this are the only ones which are affordable and have some amount of reputation.

For anyone with a decent stereo rig getting an external DAC is the next step (if he has a budget CD player or worse a DVD player). With HDD based playback we can get a very good source with decent amount of money.

I had finalized the following from all that is available
- Twisted pear audio - Buffalo - II. (DAC Module + Placid + IVY III + Bipolar Placid = $428 excluding shipping, transformer, RCA sockets, chassis)
- Audio sector NOS DAC (Premium version assembled by Peter around $500 including shipping)
- AYA - II (expensive but supposed to be very good. Better than the Audiosector) (490 euros including shipping and transformer. However I think the DIY kits have been discontinued)
- Audio gd DAC19 ($650 excluding shipping)

All the above require rudimentary level of diy skills. If someone has more expertise then there are more options.

Last edited:
I have added the prices in the post. However in case of AYA-II and audiosector you need to drop them a mail to get the exact prices. Note that in my case I focused on NOS or R2R dacs the exception being the buffalo which is very different from other delta sigma DACs.

isn't the audiosector nos dac 380usd +shipping ? How come usd500?(pl give details of quote, if any)

isn't the audiosector nos dac 380usd +shipping ? How come usd500?(pl give details of quote, if any)

Yes the un assembled kit is around that. He charges some more for assembling it. Best is to get a quote directly from him.

One should not overlook the Caiman DAC. In basic form it is already a proven award winner. In modded form ( from the simplest to the over engineered) it is in the league of expensive CD players like the Naim and Linn ones.

One should not overlook the Caiman DAC. In basic form it is already a proven award winner. In modded form ( from the simplest to the over engineered) it is in the league of expensive CD players like the Naim and Linn ones.

I did an A/B comparison of Caiman DAC with CD6002. I preferred the CD6002 - it was smoother mellower and with better body, besides the more relaxed sound of the Marantz. The caveat with my testing was optical cable leading to possible jitter - because the symptoms of bad sound were exactly as described as resulting from jitter - slight harshness and a very subtle "stuttering" graininess to the SQ

I suspect if the weak-link (the optical) were removed form the chain, the Caiman may stand closer to the CD6002/6003.

Dont know about the mods and if it will catapult the Caiman in the league of a Naim or Linn. But as long as optical is used, it stands no chance.

Edit : The transport was always the CD6002 so if the transport is the limiting factor here then it stands that it will never match up to a Naim or Linn with a budget DVDp. Maybe a HDD based setup might show improved performance?

-G

Last edited:
Yes a product specially something sold internet direct should atleast have positive reviews in multiple forums. There was a guy at audiocircle who bought the entire chain (power amp + pre + dac -> all balanced design) from him and had issues in the power amp related to bias. He rectified it and thereafter was pretty happy with its performance. The proprietor appears to be knowledgable if you follow his post in diyaudio.com (diyAudio - View Profile: audio-gd).
Of all the PCM1704 based kits or commercial product available this are the only ones which are affordable and have some amount of reputation.

For anyone with a decent stereo rig getting an external DAC is the next step (if he has a budget CD player or worse a DVD player). With HDD based playback we can get a very good source with decent amount of money.

I had finalized the following from all that is available
- Twisted pear audio - Buffalo - II. (DAC Module + Placid + IVY III + Bipolar Placid = $428 excluding shipping, transformer, RCA sockets, chassis)
- Audio sector NOS DAC (Premium version assembled by Peter around $500 including shipping)
- AYA - II (expensive but supposed to be very good. Better than the Audiosector) (490 euros including shipping and transformer. However I think the DIY kits have been discontinued)
- Audio gd DAC19 ($650 excluding shipping)

All the above require rudimentary level of diy skills. If someone has more expertise then there are more options.

Interesting. I will be looking at DIY DACs later so this info is useful to me to begin researching.

Thanks.

Dont know about the mods and if it will catapult the Caiman in the league of a Naim or Linn. But as long as optical is used, it stands no chance.

Edit : The transport was always the CD6002 so if the transport is the limiting factor here then it stands that it will never match up to a Naim or Linn with a budget DVDp. Maybe a HDD based setup might show improved performance?

-G
You may wish to consult both the Naim and Linn forums amongst others, where faithful Naim and Linn owners have acknowledged the abilities of the Caiman.

Prices?

Kingwa's quote -

Audio-GD DAC-19DSP : $640.00
Shipping : $61.00
PayPal Fees 3.2% (on Product + Shipping costs): $22.40
Handling Fees : $0.30

Total : $723.70

The shipping cost is the same for Fun - A too. With one module of OPA Sun-Dual, Moon and Earth, it comes to a total of $499 shipped.

Also, the DDDAc Full-24 kit costs 365 Euro + 12 Euro shipping + PayPal fees (roughly $512 assuming 3.2% PayPal fees). One can also ask Doede Douma to ask a fully built DAC too. Viren built a DAC with tube output stage based on this kit (Full-12?) - the one with thevortex.

Some select head-fi members are vocal about the quality of Audio-GD DACs (the usual "it beats DACs X times it's price"). I've not seen too many negative comments about it. But I came across something interesting - a few recommend to leave the DAC running 24 x 7. Some say that like tube amps, they need warm up time and perform better after leaving it on for 20-30 minutes before actual usage. Strange :rolleyes:

Prices?

Kingwa's quote -

Audio-GD DAC-19DSP : $640.00
Shipping : $61.00
PayPal Fees 3.2% (on Product + Shipping costs): $22.40
Handling Fees : $0.30

Total : $723.70

The shipping cost is the same for Fun - A too. With one module of OPA Sun-Dual, Moon and Earth, it comes to a total of $499 shipped.

Also, the DDDAc Full-24 kit costs 365 Euro + 12 Euro shipping + PayPal fees (roughly $512 assuming 3.2% PayPal fees). One can also ask Doede Douma to ask a fully built DAC too. Viren built a DAC with tube output stage based on this kit (Full-12?) - the one with thevortex.

Some select head-fi members are vocal about the quality of Audio-GD DACs (the usual "it beats DACs X times it's price"). I've not seen too many negative comments about it. But I came across something interesting - a few recommend to leave the DAC running 24 x 7. Some say that like tube amps, they need warm up time and perform better after leaving it on for 20-30 minutes before actual usage. Strange :rolleyes:

There is no end to DIY options available for DACs. But I would suggest Peter's DAC against the DDDac. There is a DAC kit also provided by Borbely audio based on PCM1704 but its pretty expensive.

please do take comments of head fi with a little pinch of salt
(you may consider it a more matured/senior forum than ours( i dont though) but appart from a few level headed blokes - most of the so called seniors going by their post counts are just too immature or total wannabes)
if you read all reviews ( old ones) of any new dac that hits the market
most of them are great-spectacular - wow this dac is the best
and as the product gets older or a new similarly priced product is launched the first one is now never as good
this is the case with almost all new launches of DAC;

im not saying this as a COMPLETE blanket statement , its just my personal observation
Also i have tried many of the dacs reviewed on that forum and dont agree too much with user opinions

^ I actually take them with a bucketful of salt. Head-fi reviews are mostly subject to FOTM, exaggeration, wow-ness etc., But, I've found a few people who share my taste and follow their reviews more closely.

BTW, I tried the same 'warming up' with my Maverick DAC - 4 hours before I got into late night listening. Epic failure - no change, it still sucked compared to STX. Just 4 hrs of wasted power consumption :eek:.

I wonder why Audio-GD DACs require a special type of "burn-in" just by keeping them switched on. If that's the case, I wonder if my uDAC which is always on along with my PC has "burned in" for 600 hrs or the tube in Maverick DAC, which is on irrespective of whether one uses the Tube "Pre-Amp" section or not, has burned in for 30 hrs :rolleyes:. Actually, that's a genuine doubt.

Sorry for going slightly OT. Now, back to DACs.

(you may consider it a more matured/senior forum than ours( i dont though) but appart from a few level headed blokes - most of the so called seniors going by their post counts are just too immature or total wannabes)
and as the product gets older or a new similarly priced product is launched the first one is now never as good

im not saying this as a COMPLETE blanket statement , its just my personal observation
Also i have tried many of the dacs reviewed on that forum and dont agree too much with user opinions

Good observation. It didnt take me too long to figure this out, even for an audiophile newbie :eek:hyeah:

I dont rely on their reviews either ... :)

Cheers

Very true. When I was on the lookout for a DAC, stumbled on Maverick and all I saw were only too-good reviews about them, but Iaudio, Santhol2 were advising me to not go for it.

Special thanks to Esantosh for keeping me updated since then and looks like we have a lot of things in common and becoming good friends! I am going to call him "DACman"!

Cheers!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back