Audio settings questions – LG TV and LG soundbar

N00b_girl22

Hi all!

First of all, I’m a total newbie, so bear with me 😊 …and bear with my less-than-optimal English.

I’ve done quite a bit of searching, but haven’t found the solution for my exact question. So, the question is about settings on my new LG TV and LG soundbar.

SETUP:

· LG 4K 75” NanoCell 926 with eArc, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, 120 Hz, HDR 10 Pro, Filmmaker Mode, FreeSync, VRR, ALLM, SimpLink CEC.

· LG SN11RG 7.1.4 soundbar with eArc, Dolby Atmos, SimpLink, HDMI connected from eArc on soundbar to eArc on TV

· XBOX series S, connected to 4K 120 Hz HDMI port on TV

· Chromecast Ultra plugged into ordinary HDMI-port on TV

USAGE:

· Netflix via built-in app, with 4K and Dolby Atmos when available

· Streaming 720p/1080p content, sometimes with 5.1 audio (non-4K/non-Dolby Atmos) via built-in app OR/AND via Chromecast

· XBOX gaming, with best available image quality/settings/audio. Mostly games available with game pass

Q1: What are correct/optimal audio settings? As of right now, settings are (translated from Norwegian):

· Audio output: HDMI (ARC)

· Audio, advanced settings:

o Dolby Atmos enabled (but greyed out).

o DTV audio Auto. (options are Auto, MPEG, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, HE-AAC)

o HDMI audio input format: HDMI 1 (Chromecast input) Bitstream, (options are PCM or Bitstream)

o Digital Audio output Auto (options are Auto, PCM, Passthrough),

o eArc support enabled

Q2: Sound/volume from rear speakers is really low, if present at all. Stupid question, but is this simply due to wrong sound settings, or is the rear speaker volume/sound generally much lower than center/front speakers? Or do the rear speakers typically kick in only when there are certain surround effects in the movie/content? (I guess the rears are silent when there is only 2.1 audio)

Q3: Which is better: streaming (non-4K, non-Dolby Atmos) content via built-in app, or via Chromecast?

Q4: When firing up the XBOX: will image and audio settings adapt, so that optimal conditions for gaming is in effect? E.g. “Game Mode” or the “Game Optimizing” setting

Hi all!

First of all, I’m a total newbie, so bear with me 😊 …and bear with my less-than-optimal English.

I’ve done quite a bit of searching, but haven’t found the solution for my exact question. So, the question is about settings on my new LG TV and LG soundbar.

SETUP:

· LG 4K 75” NanoCell 926 with eArc, Dolby Atmos, Dolby Vision, 120 Hz, HDR 10 Pro, Filmmaker Mode, FreeSync, VRR, ALLM, SimpLink CEC.

· LG SN11RG 7.1.4 soundbar with eArc, Dolby Atmos, SimpLink, HDMI connected from eArc on soundbar to eArc on TV

· XBOX series S, connected to 4K 120 Hz HDMI port on TV

· Chromecast Ultra plugged into ordinary HDMI-port on TV

USAGE:

· Netflix via built-in app, with 4K and Dolby Atmos when available

· Streaming 720p/1080p content, sometimes with 5.1 audio (non-4K/non-Dolby Atmos) via built-in app OR/AND via Chromecast

· XBOX gaming, with best available image quality/settings/audio. Mostly games available with game pass

Q1: What are correct/optimal audio settings? As of right now, settings are (translated from Norwegian):

· Audio output: HDMI (ARC)

· Audio, advanced settings:

o Dolby Atmos enabled (but greyed out).

o DTV audio Auto. (options are Auto, MPEG, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, HE-AAC)

o HDMI audio input format: HDMI 1 (Chromecast input) Bitstream, (options are PCM or Bitstream)

o Digital Audio output Auto (options are Auto, PCM, Passthrough),

o eArc support enabled

Q2: Sound/volume from rear speakers is really low, if present at all. Stupid question, but is this simply due to wrong sound settings, or is the rear speaker volume/sound generally much lower than center/front speakers? Or do the rear speakers typically kick in only when there are certain surround effects in the movie/content? (I guess the rears are silent when there is only 2.1 audio)

Q3: Which is better: streaming (non-4K, non-Dolby Atmos) content via built-in app, or via Chromecast?

Q4: When firing up the XBOX: will image and audio settings adapt, so that optimal conditions for gaming is in effect? E.g. “Game Mode” or the “Game Optimizing” setting
Excellent set up first of all and vgood choice of TV.

By ur description, ur settings seem fine. Ur getting low rear ch sound cuz speakers settings is default probably. Generally when u set up a multiple ch system, it's a given that u'd need to play around with speakers settings to optimise sound. Increase ur centre ch & rear sp volume from the settings menu if it allows as per ur liking. Also see if there is a dialogue enhancer feature in settings, use that, very useful.

For Xbox & PS check Audio output settings and set to auto or whichever is the highest format e.g. DTS for best experience.

Keep in mind: If increasing centre & surround volume, never go to reference volume which u won't need to anyway. So whatever ur sweet spot listening volume will be, minus the max volume = headroom to increase individual ch. Start with +3 for rear and increase till it sounds good to you.
Centre u can start with +10 but don't keep increasing if u don't hv headroom.
(Max vol. - sweet spot = headroom vol)
If u hv dialogue enhancer feature, I'd recommend using that for center ch instead of C ch vol increase. But if u don't then do increase C ch vol also doing the headroom math.

Hope it Helps! Enjoy

Thank you for taking the time, I appreciate it.

I have tested streaming of my country's biggest broadcaster, both via Chromecast and built-in app. They confirmed 5.1 audio, but rears are silent (verified functionality). Pulling my hair out...

I tested Netflix however (built-in app). A 5.1 title (Baby Driver) gives me quite nice surround, at least when I turn up rear volume as you suggested.

I also tested an Atmos title (6 Underground). It was a little disappointing I have to say. Actually less impressive than the mentioned 5.1 title. I guess the emphasis on audio experience will vary a lot from title to title.

Any thoughts on this?

My main problem is the app where I don't hear from rears, when 5.1 is confirmed...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back