Audio system for hindustani classical music

Shripad

I want a simple - not more than 2/3 speakers and amplifier - system to listen mainly to hindustani classical music, vocal and instrumental. But I want high quality reproduction. For medium size room. Media device will be phone or iPad. Will also listen to all other kinds of music, indian, western, but main purpose is hindustani. I have a bose sound touch 20 but found that it's not great for hindustani classical. Budget is around 30k. I live outside Pune.

I want a simple - not more than 2/3 speakers and amplifier - system to listen mainly to hindustani classical music, vocal and instrumental. But I want high quality reproduction. For medium size room. Media device will be phone or iPad. Will also listen to all other kinds of music, indian, western, but main purpose is hindustani. I have a bose sound touch 20 but found that it's not great for hindustani classical. Budget is around 30k. I live outside Pune.
Try auditioning Marantz PM5005 with wharfedale diamond 220. Should fit your budget and sounds good for Indian classical music

Try auditioning Marantz PM5005 with wharfedale diamond 220. Should fit your budget and sounds good for Indian classical music
Amazon shows Marantz PM 5005 at 76k. Far beyond my budget. Am I reading something wrongly in your reply?

Amazon shows Marantz PM 5005 at 76k. Far beyond my budget. Am I reading something wrongly in your reply?

It shows that you are new in this world since you took the Amazon price for Marantz PM5005 as the right one. :)
There will be just 2 speakers for stereo and not 3, we are talking about music only here and not home theater. Check hifimart.com as Tushar suggested, the Wharfedale and Marantz combo is a very nice place to start. As you get your feet wet more and more details will come into focus and you will likely need to place more emphasis on the source of your music, at the moment though the iPad will do just fine.

Agree with the reccomendation.
Marantz PM 5005 amplifier - 21K
Wharfdale Diamond 220 speakers -18K

Yes, this is a bit above your budget, but will give you really quality sound and last many years.

Yes. As others suggested, hifimart is a very good dealer. You can call and go for audition.
Marantz PM6006 is a better and newer model, comes with a very good inbuilt DAC as well, but would cost you a bit more than 5005.

Last edited:
FM @vakharia had posted a PM5005 for sale. You can check with him, if interested.

It shows that you are new in this world since you took the Amazon price for Marantz PM5005 as the right one. :)
There will be just 2 speakers for stereo and not 3, we are talking about music only here and not home theater. Check hifimart.com as Tushar suggested, the Wharfedale and Marantz combo is a very nice place to start. As you get your feet wet more and more details will come into focus and you will likely need to place more emphasis on the source of your music, at the moment though the iPad will do just fine.
indeed I am new to this world :-( but already finding this place so useful and full of great advice. Will check hifimart... Thanks everyone...

Thanks. Yes, I need it mainly (and in fact, only) for music and not for home theatre.

Marantz PM5005 is a very decent amp. The PM line punches well above its price point and keeps it simple.
If upping the budget, please do checkout Castle Knight 2 bookshelves @hifimart
I have not heard them, but all reviews point to fatigue free listening.
They are 90dB speakers at nominal 8 ohms, so very easy to drive.
Cheers,
Raghu

Many FMs have given good solutions which would help you achieve your goal quickly. I am suggesting a difficult route but something that would get you great bank for buck:
Speakers:
I have toggled between two-way speakers (Elac BS-243), Co-axials (Tannoy Sensys) & Full-range horns (Fostex DIY by FM @manniraj ). Of the three, FR horns sound the best for Indian classical music (not sure but I feel that they are soulful), followed by Co-axials and then two-way speakers. I felt the same when I auditioned Frugal horns by FMs Vivek Rao & Manniraj. I am no expert with the science of speakers but would suggest if you can have Frugal Horns DIYed in Pune(There is one on sale in Bangalore but you might lose money in shipping it). The mids from Frugal Horns are at different level. The immediacy of the speakers make them a great gear for vocals. These speakers are keepers for long time. You can connect with FMs mentioned here about the simplicity/complexity of the build and see if this is an explorable option).
Budget : 13K - 15K.

Amplifier:

Marantz PM5005 is really good. You can also go SMSL Q5 Pro which is a great solution due to its VFM DAC. Even simple Onida/Philip DVD player becomes a great source when you use their Coaxial or Optical out. SMSL Q5 Pro also lets you connect computer audio as well through USB. They sound good for medium sized rooms (10X12 or 11 X14).
Budget: 10K-20K

Full range anyday for Hindustani Classical .
Fostex, Audio Nirvana , vintage Philips are few options which comes to my mind.

Many FMs have given good solutions which would help you achieve your goal quickly. I am suggesting a difficult route but something that would get you great bank for buck:
Speakers:
I have toggled between two-way speakers (Elac BS-243), Co-axials (Tannoy Sensys) & Full-range horns (Fostex DIY by FM @manniraj ). Of the three, FR horns sound the best for Indian classical music (not sure but I feel that they are soulful), followed by Co-axials and then two-way speakers. I felt the same when I auditioned Frugal horns by FMs Vivek Rao & Manniraj. I am no expert with the science of speakers but would suggest if you can have Frugal Horns DIYed in Pune(There is one on sale in Bangalore but you might lose money in shipping it). The mids from Frugal Horns are at different level. The immediacy of the speakers make them a great gear for vocals. These speakers are keepers for long time. You can connect with FMs mentioned here about the simplicity/complexity of the build and see if this is an explorable option).

I sold my frugal horns couple of weeks back and now I have made my audio nirvana build at last :)

I sold my frugal horns couple of weeks back and now I have made my audio nirvana build at last :)
My quarter close is on. Else, I would have barged in to look at your build. I don't want to spam here but looking forward to your build thread.

Speakers:

Amplifier:

Marantz PM5005 is really good. You can also go SMSL Q5 Pro which is a great solution due to its VFM DAC. Even simple Onida/Philip DVD player becomes a great source when you use their Coaxial or Optical out. SMSL Q5 Pro also lets you connect computer audio as well through USB. They sound good for medium sized rooms (10X12 or 11 X14).
Budget: 10K-20K
I am using the horns since past few days. It's my first speakers, but I own an electrostatic headphone. I thought the horns might miss on some microdetails compared to the Stax, but I was so wrong. I listen to a lot of Western Classical, Jazz, Cross-country classical (fusion)... The horns are surprising me in every way. Thanks to @manniraj :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back