Audio Technica turntable

pksnathan

Friends,

I am planning to buy a Audio Technica turntable model no.AT LP 120 and to import the same from Sri Lanka as there is an authorised distributor for Audio Technica products in Sri Lanka.The reason for preferring Audio Technica over other brands is that it can play 78 RPM records also and most of the modern brands of turntable do not have 78 RPM record playing facility.I request our forum members to kindly guide me in this matter as to what formalities I should follow and the precautions I must observe as I am buying a product from another country for the first time.
Thanking you,
Sincerely.

pksnathan

unless 78 rpm records are your domain, this is of no use - why? in Indian market records are just drying up and they have almost become antique. 10" and 78 rpms are too difficult to trace, moreover 78 rpms are mostly ised with ceramic cartridges leaving them half damaged.
Newer releases costing 700-1500/- are not worth as they are simple marketing gimmicks and content/quality of pressing is rather poor. Don't buy into vinyl resurgence or anything like that, if you have large collection go ahead and buy a decent 33&1/3,45 rpm TT like Rega RP1, Pro-ject Debut III. If you are specifically looking for a 78 rpm TT, go to old market of Delhi,Kolkata,Mumbai and you will get plenty of them in less than 4000/-.

How many 78 LPs do you have?

Few years back when I was trying to buy TT, this is one of the models I had in choice.
What is the total cost (including shipping + customs) from srilanka? Currently from amazon.com all inclusive cost is Rs.24,500/- for this model.

At the above price point you can get better options in India. And have an exclusive vintage player for 78RPM. Alternately look for an vintage TT with 3 speeds. Some of our FMs deal with vintage TTs.

unless 78 rpm records are your domain, this is of no use - why? in Indian market records are just drying up and they have almost become antique. 10" and 78 rpms are too difficult to trace, moreover 78 rpms are mostly ised with ceramic cartridges leaving them half damaged.
Newer releases costing 700-1500/- are not worth as they are simple marketing gimmicks and content/quality of pressing is rather poor. Don't buy into vinyl resurgence or anything like that, if you have large collection go ahead and buy a decent 33&1/3,45 rpm TT like Rega RP1, Pro-ject Debut III. If you are specifically looking for a 78 rpm TT, go to old market of Delhi,Kolkata,Mumbai and you will get plenty of them in less than 4000/-.

Thank you friend for your suggestion.I might go in for an used TT for playing 78 RPM records.
Sincerely.
pksnathan

How many 78 LPs do you have?

Few years back when I was trying to buy TT, this is one of the models I had in choice.
What is the total cost (including shipping + customs) from srilanka? Currently from amazon.com all inclusive cost is Rs.24,500/- for this model.

At the above price point you can get better options in India. And have an exclusive vintage player for 78RPM. Alternately look for an vintage TT with 3 speeds. Some of our FMs deal with vintage TTs.

Dear Jeyaraj.
Sent a PM.
Sincerely,
pksnathan

Hello members,

I am a novice here and would like you to suggest me on TT. I have a lot of old 78rpm records that my father had brought few decades ago. We had a Philips LP record player [pictured below] and there is not audio output now.
I was searching through and got to this place. Do you think that its good to get this and or get the Philips LPplayer serviced?

thanks!

Attachments

• 24829.jpg
    24829.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
The philips player is a nice vintage one.

How good is your skills on DIY repair. May be our experienced members can guide you through in fixing this player.

@ Lakshminarasimhan
I have same TT for Sale

Good one

It hasin built Amp
BTW it requires Special connectors for input as well as Speaker terminals -- please procure them too

The philips player is a nice vintage one.

How good is your skills on DIY repair. May be our experienced members can guide you through in fixing this player.

I have no idea though I did try attempting to open to have look into it,once. Any place in chennai, where this can be serviced [if possible]?

The looks of your Philips are classy. I would suggest you to restore it. I will look great once cleaned & polished well. Of course, do sort out technical issues, if it has any. Do let us know about the specific model no.

Regards.

I suggested you get the Philips fixed. It should serve you well for a start, all you need to do is connect the speakers.

As Hemant rightly mentioned, you'd have to get yourself a pair of Philips speaker plugs to connect the speakers. May be hard to find but if you don't, let me know. I'll search my junk box and I'm sure I'll be able to find you a pair of these :)

Regarding DIY, it is easier to deal with mechanical and cosmetic DIY, however you'd need to have a basic understanding of electronics to look up the amp section. Philips circuitry of the 1970s in India was a bit non-standard (and usually ripped from Holland Phillips equipment).

Last edited:
Hello members,

Thanks a lot for your inputs and suggestions. I will contact Mr Sayeed to check on servicing the player. I have no intention to do away with it as I have grown up with music being played from it. So it is more of priced possession for me.
I guess there is a circuit problem as there is no audio output. That needs to be checked for. Also I believe that the connectors should around somewhere... need to check that too.

Will post on the model in a day.. busy this weekend! ;)

Thanks once again all. :)

I have both of them with me. Right now I have connected the AT120 LP to the Hi-Q International amplifier through the tape in. but the sound is a bit flat with this and the perfectness of vinyl is lost. Maybe the amp need a service. Also the Speakers are with me and they sound excellent with my Philips CD player. regarding AT120 LP, I have imported the same from e-bay last year in Aug. the TT is fantastic and gave outstanding performance when connected to the Sonodyne Uranus of my friend. It had take Rs.22500 out from my pocket making me a bit slow on purchasing a new stereo setup.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back