Audiogon spoof site

captrajesh

Staff member
I got a mail from one of the AV companies warning me of spoofing in the name of 'Audiogon' I thought I'll put it in the forum for information of one and all.

Dear fellow audiophiles,

I just received an email, apparently from
AudioGon, but it is not. It is an attempt to
steal your login information.

I felt it my duty to warn my customers and friends.

It says "Notice: AudioGon account restricted".
There is then a link to click that looks like it takes you
to their site, where you log in. Do not do it! It is a scam.
You can tell because of the URL, which is not AudioGon. The scammer
will steal your information, or change the password, selling bogus
items under your name.

Please pass the word to your friends...

Mike XXXXXX,
XXXXXX Audio

We are well aware of those frauds due to fake e-mails related to our credit cards, still it is pity people are loosing money.

Easy way to increase your selling points/reputation or loose your reputation by loosing your information. Either way we are not going to loose our money, since there we are not storing our credit card information..:cool: And also another way of increasing the site popularity by sending this kind of information.:p

Actually after the new interface that audiogon has introduced the buyer cannot contact the seller at his email address. All communication must happen through audiogon UI. This has led to a lot of fraud listings in the recent past. Since you cannot contact the user personally (through email), there is no way to know whether he has really listed the ad. So if anyone has my audiogon login credentials, he can post a listing in my name, respond to queries of the buyers (since queries are posted on the same listing page and answered thereof) and deal. I will never come to know this has happened because the fraudster would have changed the registered email ID in my audiogon account, so there will be no mails to me from audiogon for any of these transaction.
That is the reason these days you will see lots of unbelievable deals on audiogon ($10k speakers being sold for $1.5k etc). Many of these sellers have zero feedback, and nowadays some have hijacked other people's accounts and doing the same. Please Please Please, do not get lured towards a deal if it looks too good to believe. Please use your diligence on audiogon.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back