Audiolab MDAC + vs Luxman DA-250

Vivek Batra

Hi FMs

I need your urgent help on deciding between the two DACs. I have no prior experience with any of the component. I am going to pair the dac with following

1. Luxman 590 AXII Integrated Amplifier
2. Klipsch Forte Speakers

It will be great help to me if you could compare the two DACs and is it worth staying with in the same brand (Luxman) for the dac as well? I do not see any advantage in Luxman over Audiolab. Almost same specs but the price difference is double.

For you convenience I have pulled down the specs for both the models below. Kindly suggest which one should be more suitable for the system overall.

Thanks a lot.

SpecificationsAudiolab MDAC+Luxman DA-250
Front1578558474312.png1578558548417.png
Back1578558515710.png1578558575404.png
Sampling Frequencies24-bit / 192kHz (Optical, Coaxial, AES)USB input (PCM) : 32k, 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k
96k, 176.4k, 192k(16, 24, 32bits)
USB input (DSD) : 2.82M, 5.64MHz (1bit)
COAX/OPT input : 32k, 44.1k, 48k, 88.2k
96k, 176.4k, 192kHz (16, 20, 24bits)
MC HIGH: 0.37mV, MC LOW: 0.12mV
Digital Inputs2 x Coaxial, 2 x Toslink Optical, 1 x AES/EBU, 1 x USB for PC USB, 1x USB for iPod/iPhone/iPadUSB x 1, COAX x 1, OPT x 2
Digital Outputs1x Coaxial, 1 x Toslink OpticalCOAX x 1, OPT x 1
Analogue InputNoneUnbalance x 1
Analogue OutputUnbalance x 1, Balance x 1, Headphone x 1Unbalance x 1, Balance x 1, Headphone x 1
DACESS Sabre32 9018 chipTexas Instrument 32-bit compatible PCM1795
MQANoNo
Balanced output voltage/Impedance20Ω2.5V/600Ω
Unbalanced output voltage/impedance10Ω2.5V/300Ω
Headphone outputNot known130mW + 130mW(600Ω)
400mW + 400mW(32Ω), 200mW + 200mW(16Ω)
Frequency Response20Hz - 20kHz (± 0.2dB)2Hz to 50kHz (+0, -3.0dB)
THD @ 1kHz<0.002%0.001%
SNRRCA: > -115dB, XLR: > -120dB118dB
Dynamic RangeRCA: > 115dB, XLR: > 120dBNot known
CrosstalkRCA: > 120dB, XLR: > 130dBNot known
Dimensions114mm x 247mm x 292mm364(W) x 81(H) x 279(D) mm
Net Weight3.7kg5.4kg
ColorBlack + SilverSilver
Pricex2x

Last edited:
The Audiolab DACs have the reputation of being very neutral. May come across as bright depending on your preference. Not worth buying blind in my opinion.

No view on Luxman - dont know if it has the same traits.

The Audiolab DACs have the reputation of being very neutral. May come across as bright depending on your preference. Not worth buying blind in my opinion.

No view on Luxman - dont know if it has the same traits.
Well I do not have means to audition any of the two. FM @sunand777 bought Audiolab and he is content with it but suggesting me to go for Luxman

Because of the chips used, Luxman is likely to be more organic. Audiolab would probably have higher resolution

QUOTE="Vivek Batra, post: 858220, member: 90907"]
Honestly don't know what it means organic vs higher resolution. :(
[/QUOTE]

Why are in such a hurry to buy the dac?
Atleast hear your amp speaker for a month even with a DVD player and check what kind of tone you are getting and then decide on a dac
Specifications just give you just half picture

QUOTE="Vivek Batra, post: 858220, member: 90907"]
Honestly don't know what it means organic vs higher resolution. :(

Atleast hear your amp speaker for a month even with a DVD player and check what kind of tone you are getting and then decide on a dac
[/QUOTE]
Reasons to hurry are
1. I do not have anything else to hook up with the amp to play
2. Luxman has discontinued all the dacs, only few are left to pick that too not sure.

3. If I decide anything else not Luxman then I can wait no problem. I am already waiting with speakers still packed in a corner. I don't mind to do the same with amp + speakers now. But it's very tough I hope you would agree.

Last edited:
Reasons to hurry are
1. I do not have anything else to hook up with the p to play
2. Luxman has discontinued all the dacs, only few are left to pick that too not sure.

3. If I decide anything else not Luxman then I can wait no problem. I am already waiting with speakers still packed in a corner. I don't mind to do the same with amp + speakers now. But it's very tough I hope you would agree.
[/QUOTE]

I still don't agree.
The speakers you have need careful pairing .
If not laxman there are so many other brands to choose from
Unless you don't know what sound you want how can you choose the right DAC?

Unless you are very fine to take a gamble and then again buy a new dac

More so because you still don't have experience with different aspects of sound

Reasons to hurry are
1. I do not have anything else to hook up with the p to play

I still don't agree.

[/QUOTE]
I need something to play what should be the approach then?

I still don't agree.

I need something to play what should be the approach then?
[/QUOTE]

Buy an entry level CD player which you can always sell again and should sell without any hassles
It's OK to take a hit of around 5 to 7k which you may loose once you sell the CD player , rather then taking a gamble with dac costing few lacs

Well suggested by Rikhav.
1. Dont rush to buy a Dac.
It is not a mandatory requirement
2. Buy a Cd player.- subject to you having a cd collection. Maybe a mid level player like Rega, Naim, Marantz, Exposure.
I have heard all these players and they are all excellent even without external Dac.
The need for a Dac arises more from the need to play computer audio and various file formats.

Last edited:
Well suggested by Rikhav.
1. Dont rush to buy a Dac.
It is not a mandatory requirement
2. Buy a Cd player. Maybe a mid level player like Rega, Naim, Marantz, Exposure.
I have heard all these players and they all excellent even without external Dac.
I am sure they would be good products. As they all might be having internal dacs so no external dac requirement.

See I do not have any digital media collection not a single disc. For now I will fully rely on streaming or downloaded media files.

I don't get the idea how a cd player will help me to decide what kind of dac I need.Should I experiment by switching different players with different dac chips? Please excuse me for my little to no common sense but this is how I am.

Ok i get it. If you do not have a Cd collection then the player is not much use to you.
As your source is going to be streaming and downloads, then your best option is the Streamer cum Dac like the Cxn or Naim and few others as suggested before.

what rikhav means is that

a. first get the music going on your Luxman amp and Klipsch Fortes
b. Get them to sound correct with speaker positioning etc...
c. For this process you might not need an expensive dac
d. While you play music with the above 3 points in play - your mind will wander to what kind of sound you like in your room and WITH the amp and speakers

Then go fishing for the big one..

I guess thats what he is trying to say and his thoughts have some merit.

OTOH

if you find Luxman DA 250 too attractive - go for it !

I am quite sure a Luxman DAC wont be too bad at all

It just depends on the buyer and his way of thinking

There is no right or wrong here..

Just 2 different approaches.

Good luck and let us know what you went for !

regards

Ok i get it. If you do not have a Cd collection then the player is not much use to you.
As your source is going to be streaming and downloads, then your best option is the Streamer cum Dac like the Cxn or Naim and few others as suggested before.
Yea that makes sense to go for dac cum streamer. Even there are people who were totally against this. That confused me more. Now I would prefer the cheapest option out of dac and dac cum streamer.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back