Audiophile grade On / Over the ear headphones with Mic

square_wave

I am looking such a device. An example is the Meze 99. I am looking for more such options. Please note that the headphone is for everyday use with a laptop for listening to various things including zoom calls. Trying to get something that is better than the usual run of the mill stuff. Comfort is a big factor. Mic quality for calls is big too !

I have seen that most of the beginner audiophile grade headphones do not come with mics.

Not keen on IEMs.

Any thoughts ?

Recently, I purchased V-Moda Crossfade M-100 Master. Comes with two removable cables and one of them has an inline mic. Is foldable and has an all metal build. A nominal impedance of 32 Ohms means an easy load for most mobiles and laptops. These have a low profile (which is important to me); I don't want to look like a DJ/Mixing engineer at work. Interestingly thought, this model is very popular among DJs. Quality of mic is also good.

These are more enjoyable and less fatiguing compared to Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro that I was using before.

I felt that M-100 Master gives more VFM compared to Meze 99 Classics, as the latter is more like a piece of jewellery. Meze 99 Neo, a cheaper version of the 99 Classics, has a larger profile than M-100 Master and its overall design didn't suite my taste.

Also, one more option to consider is, getting a pair of HPs with detachable cables and upgrading the cable to a one that has an inline mic. May not work for all models though as a few of them come with proprietary connectors on the HP side.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Last edited:
Also, one more option to consider is, getting a pair of HPs with detachable cables and upgrading the cable to a one that has an inline mic. May not work for all models though as a few of them come with proprietary connectors on the HP side.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi
Thanks for the v-moda tip.

Also, upgrading cables on regular audiophile cans is a superb idea. I have never thought of this. This may actually open up a lot of can options for me. Does this work ?

Also, upgrading cables on regular audiophile cans is a superb idea. I have never thought of this. This may actually open up a lot of can options for me. Does this work ?
For V-Moda, the connector at the headphone side is a regular 3.5mm connector, so looks like any cable with inline mic should work.

But, as an example, Audio Technica ATH-M50x has a special locking 3.5mm connector on the headphone side. So, regular cables won't work.

Also, another entry level headphone with inline mic and of decent sound quality is Sennheiser HD569.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Upgrading cables works.
Changing earpads works too. I upgraded cable and pads of my ath-m50x just to experiment. Changed the tone of the headphone dramatically.

Cable (i used occ litz)made it sound cleaner.

Earpads from brainwavz(combo of velour and pleather)hybrid made the the sound more open and airy. Got them from amazom.

The experiment works for me.

i have Focal listen. Good sound with good mic. Not very comfy for me for long work sessions(top of band presses against my skull). I use them for travel and listening to music on my phone. It comes with an airplane adaptor too.

Sennheiser momentum would be the apt for you or an Ath-m50x with a audio technica mic and attachment built to do just that.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back