Audiophile streamer (improving source)

renjith lal

Hi all,

I am looking for best option for transporting digital data to DAC. At present I use Ethernet (CAT6) connection from my router to Devialet 120.

Currently for local play back I place my music files in laptop ( windows 10) and play using Foobar program using bit perfect option.
I have used Roon before and it was good but expired now. I also use Tidal for streaming from laptop and connected to DAC using ethernet.

Now I am looking for best way to improve my source. Following are different options I found

1) Intel NUC with audioLinux.
2) Dante suggested by a friend
3) SoTM sMS-200 Ultra with external power supply and master clock (SoTM there are tons of option up to 8k $ :mad: )
4) Roon Nucleus
5) Streamers from Auralic, Aurender and Bryston.

Can you please suggest which is the best option?

Considering the cost and upgrade option Intel NUC is a good option but not sure about the effort to fine tune it :rolleyes:.
Did any one compared performance between Intel NUC and SoTM? Please share your experience.

Thanks
Renjith

Looks like all busy, I understand not many have compared different options I mentioned.
Any input will be helpful..

If you are referring Intel NUC, it is just another computer; wouldn’t help at all.

I am referring to Intel NUC only, I do hear some good comments in other forums.
They say it is well optimized for audio by Intel and also doesn't have a fan.
But I dont know.

The Sotm will take the laptop out of the equation and since it is made for audio, the difference in sound is substantial... For $450, you keep your existing laptop and take the sound a notch up in clarity and bass definition.... Am sure the other add ons would be good too but a basic entry sms 200 would add quite a bit of SQ at that price.... Aurender and Aurelic would be too expensive and maybe similar SQ w.r.t. to your laptop and Sotm sms 200....

If you are happy to revisit roon again, it will open up a world of end points at different budgets. I moved from a CCA, to Yamaha wxc50, to Intel nuc, and finally a Intel nuc running roon core, with a metrum Ambre roon end point. And every move made a subtle improvement for me.

So you can reposition your existing laptop as a roon core, and add a roon end point . There are options from sonore right up to the DCS network bridge.

The above said, I tried a allodigione as roon end point and it ran the metrum Ambre real close. I wouldn't be able to make out in a blind test for sure. So there is one great roon end point right there for you, provided the devialet has usb input. If the devialet doesn't have usb, then there are different allo roon bridge options with co axial output as well. I think it's called digione signature. All the best ranjith...was nice seeing your post after a long time. And fondly hope all going very fine your end :)

Edit : I just remembered that my older devialet could accept I2S via hdmi. Please let me know if your model can accept I2S via Ethernet. If it has this provision then this will be the best sound quality path. Metrum Ambre has I2S out via Ethernet. But the Ethernet pin configuration is matched to their own dac's Ethernet configuration. But since there is no internationally accepted pin configuration, you can order a metrum Ambre to be compatible to your devialet model. And metrum will configure it accordingly. This would be the best solution for the best sound quality possible , as I2S is better than all other connections due to absence of the usual digital gremlins. All the best

Last edited:
The Sotm will take the laptop out of the equation and since it is made for audio, the difference in sound is substantial... For $450, you keep your existing laptop and take the sound a notch up in clarity and bass definition.... Am sure the other add ons would be good too but a basic entry sms 200 would add quite a bit of SQ at that price.... Aurender and Aurelic would be too expensive and maybe similar SQ w.r.t. to your laptop and Sotm sms 200....

I do hear good about Sotm sms 200 . Sotm also recommends to add linear power supply which will add one more boxes.
I also read that Sotm sms 200 add good improvement in performance for the money it costs.
For the ultra model there is reclocker plus linear power supply which add up to 1400$. Lot of options which confuses me.

Thanks
Renjith

If you are happy to revisit roon again, it will open up a world of end points at different budgets. I moved from a CCA, to Yamaha wxc50, to Intel nuc, and finally a Intel nuc running roon core, with a metrum Ambre roon end point. And every move made a subtle improvement for me.

So you can reposition your existing laptop as a roon core, and add a roon end point . There are options from sonore right up to the DCS network bridge.

The above said, I tried a allodigione as roon end point and it ran the metrum Ambre real close. I wouldn't be able to make out in a blind test for sure. So there is one great roon end point right there for you, provided the devialet has usb input. If the devialet doesn't have usb, then there are different allo roon bridge options with co axial output as well. I think it's called digione signature. All the best ranjith...was nice seeing your post after a long time. And fondly hope all going very fine your end :)

Edit : I just remembered that my older devialet could accept I2S via hdmi. Please let me know if your model can accept I2S via Ethernet. If it has this provision then this will be the best sound quality path. Metrum Ambre has I2S out via Ethernet. But the Ethernet pin configuration is matched to their own dac's Ethernet configuration. But since there is no internationally accepted pin configuration, you can order a metrum Ambre to be compatible to your devialet model. And metrum will configure it accordingly. This would be the best solution for the best sound quality possible , as I2S is better than all other connections due to absence of the usual digital gremlins. All the best

Hi newlash,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I never thought of using NUC as roon core and adding an endpoint. I do like Roon and I can think about getting it. As you said there are plenty of options and that confuse me a lot in the quest for wanting the best.

I am not sure if my Devialet can accept I2S via Ethernet. I need to find out and I will let you know.
I agree that it will be best option if it accepts.

Thanks once again.
Renjith

Hi all,

I am looking for best option for transporting digital data to DAC. At present I use Ethernet (CAT6) connection from my router to Devialet 120.

Currently for local play back I place my music files in laptop ( windows 10) and play using Foobar program using bit perfect option.
I have used Roon before and it was good but expired now. I also use Tidal for streaming from laptop and connected to DAC using ethernet.

Now I am looking for best way to improve my source. Following are different options I found

3) SoTM sMS-200 Ultra with external power supply and master clock (SoTM there are tons of option up to 8k $ :mad: )
4) Roon Nucleus

Considering the cost and upgrade option Intel NUC is a good option but not sure about the effort to fine tune it :rolleyes:.
Did any one compared performance between Intel NUC and SoTM? Please share your experience.

Thanks
Renjith
Am all for the SOtM setup along with the roon nucleus and I can vouch for it cos I use it myself !
Regards
Anand Iyer

Hi all,

4) Roon Nucleus

Thanks
Renjith
What do you feel you are missin? Also what music you listen to and do you feel there are good recordings?

Am all for the SOtM setup along with the roon nucleus and I can vouch for it cos I use it myself !
Regards
Anand Iyer

Thanks a lot. Which Roon Nucleus model you are using?
I dont have a very big collection.
For me SotM website is confusing with so many options and boxes but I have heard good opinion about it.

Thanks a lot. Which Roon Nucleus model you are using?
I dont have a very big collection.
For me SotM website is confusing with so many options and boxes but I have heard good opinion about it.
I use the roon nucleus not the plus version and have the SOtM sms 200 ultra with the sPS 500 power supply , also have the sCLK - OCX 10 external clock frm SOtM which is connected to the sPS 500 of the sMS 200 . The roon nucleus also has its own sPS 500 power supply unit . Then I have the SOtM sNH - 10G which has its own sPS 500 power supply unit .

So how much worth of Sotm equipment do you have? And the total number of Sotm devices?

Renjith: I only recommended the SMS 200 available for $450 for you to try...
Anand here is suggesting an easy way for you to be kicked out of your house...

I use local play back and Tidal Hires for streaming.

So how much worth of Sotm equipment do you have? And the total number of Sotm devices?

In a way you are correct. I would prefer one box solution over these many boxes. Looks like Anand is extremely happy with SoTM setup.

I am using Cat6 ethernet cable to connect to Devialet. When I use SotM I need to get a USB cable (I guess) to connect to Devialet.
I heard USB cable make a lot of difference. That is why I am bit reluctant to try SotM.

I was trying to get a NUC, subscribe Roon and connect using ethernet connection to Devialet.
Still debating which is a better option.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using Cat6 ethernet cable to connect to Devialet. When I use SotM I need to get a USB cable (I guess) to connect to Devialet.
I heard USB cable make a lot of difference. That is why I am bit reluctant to try SotM.

I was trying to get a NUC, subscribe Roon and connect using ethernet connection to Devialet.
Still debating which is a better option.
oh yes a good quality USB cable does make a difference. As for the multi box setup of SOtM i added them in phases so i could figure out the difference they made to the sound so it wasn't an overnight decision to pick up all the SOtM gear together :)

6 SOtM devices. As for getting kicked out of my house i haven't gotten kicked out yet so maybe i'm doing some thing right. A point to ponder about what say "Panditji" ha ha ha ha !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
How would the sotm stack compare sound wise say to a ps audio direct stream dac with network streamer ?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back