Audition of Boston Acoustics, Space Audio & Paradigm CT 70 & 90

Hi All,

Atlast I did get time to audition the above mentioned HT speaker sets. and glad to accept that I am in love with Boston acoustics, great sound and VFM...

Assuming a room of 15ft x 14 ft x 12ft

Audition 1

Place - forgot the name, but the one attached to The Club, Andheri west, mumbai
AVR - Denon 1311 5.1
Speakers - Paradigm CT 70 5.1 (8" sub)
Price - 38K for 5.1 (excluding cables & shipping).

Result:
Music - 5/10
movies - 4/10

Comments - The speaker didnt do justice to the price and hype of it. It lacked basic punches, the satellites were too small in size and sound too :(
although at first when 'Hotel California' was played it seemed a decent sound system, bt as we increased the volume, it lacked everything. AVR was at full volume and we had to move towards the speakers for volume. The sub was ok with decent base, but a bigger sub is what required to make it a experience.

During the movie, dinosaur scene from the Night at the museum, it failed miserably. and we wasted no time. The sub tried it level best to convince us but the satellites failed every now and then. The Centre indeed came a good surprise with clear Vocals and dialogue delievery. It was indeed sounding the best of the lot in that 5.1. But overall, a speaker set for a room not more than 10ft x12ft x12ft.

Audition 2

Onkyo 5300 7.1

AVR - Default package one, I guess it was SR508
Speaker - Onkyo 7.1 (10" sub)
price - 52k with Ipod dock

Result:
Music - 7/10
Movies - 7/10

Comments- The 7.1 speaker system was good and justified as average system for people who are no that sq savvy. Good system to start the journey to being an Audiophile. In both the treble and bass were good, the Front speakers were good and complimented the center nicely and in complete harmony with clear vocals and decent mid range.

The Surrounds did their job pretty well specially in the movie test, pearl Harbor Torpedo attack scene, with all the fighter jets flying across the screen, the satellites complimented what we saw on the screen with perfect surrounds effects.

The best of the 7.1 lot was the sub, although it was kept behind us, the depth and tight bass it gave were just too good for the price we pay for it. The sub performed well in the movie test also and sounded the perfect as the scene demanded. the Torpedo explosion scene was handled nicely and the system didnt only give the bass effect for the same but also the mid range and highs for the scenes were good. All the explosions were nicely handled by the system. A decent system.

Audition 3

Space Audio

AVR - Denon 1311
Speaker - Space Audion 5.1 (with dual 6.5inches drivers in the sub)
price - 17k

Result:
Music - 6/10
Movies - 7/10

Nothing much to say looking at the price they are available for, they did more than the justice to money and ears. Though bright at times, but the same could be handled by tweaking the avr output and equalizers. The small Bose style satellites were too good, although, I would have preferred a bigger center, since the same small surround satellite works as center too.

The Sub was too good and easily could have challenged any of the biggies with pride and performance. The punches, the grooves were really good. But in the end we wanted a bigger sub to gives us real lows, as this one could only respond to lows till 35-40hz but very good in that range.

Ideal system would be 4 satellites (2k each) + a bigger center (polk or some other) + some good 10" sub. = perfect VFM 5.1.

Audition

Denon 1611 + Boston acoustic CS2310 5.1 set

Place - Viola
AVR - Denon 1611
Speaker - Boston acoustic CS2310 5.1 set (10" down firing beast!)
price - 28k for avr + 28k for 5.1

Result:
Music - 9/10
Movies - 10/10

Superb sound! The perfect one! Numero Uno in the price range and beyond the range too :)

Me and my friend decided to try more speaker set, so we entered Viola. Sailesh bhai, the owner, a trust worhty seller, a friend of my friend. The only thing he asked was the room dimnesions and he played as per his choice and best he thought. He played Denon 1611 + Boston. It started with same Night at the museum scene to some Dragon movie scene...and we didnt move as we enjoyed Bostons a lot...Love at first sight ;) the sound was so fulfiiling to our hearts and also the room which was same as the shop....the center was superb with all the dialogues reaching us in perfect tone and crispness. The Surrounds were marvelous and it also handled the mid range jst perfectly the way we would want them too. Then, we saw the sub, mighty beast who believed in looking down rather than staring up (I meant down firing). But it looking down was not in shame or guilt as we thought it would be. The sub was jst superb and it filled the room with perfect and timely bass. The dragon flying scene was all the more exciting with the perfect bass effect of it and so was the dinosaur from Night at the museum.

Now it was time for music, a song from movie paheli was played and it was so good. In love with bollywood again :) Although the AVR chose 2.1 channel automatically but we didnt feel the lack in sound (quality and volume). it sounded just the perfect with proper bass and treble, the ghungru tinkles were nicely emulated by the speaker system and I loved it.

Since, I wanted to try with a 7.1 avr, Sailesh bhai played the same song through Marantz 5004. The sound was just the perfect jst that it was a bit sweeter than Denon 1611.

By this time, me and my friend had conlcuded that this system must be costing a bomb around 50-60k but when sailesh bhai said 28k we were happily surprised and our love for boston grew even more! I have surely decided onto the speaker set now the hunt for perfect AVR starts. Though havent bought the speakers, but made my mind.

Guys you should lsiten to boston and I am sure even you will like it a lot. I heard Paradigm ct 90 also but a min or so as CT 70 had killed my feelings for Paradigm and so did its price at 46-47k. Boston was far better than CT 90 in sq and pricing.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading this!

Cheers!

Btw: at Viola, price of Denon 1911 - 39k & Marantz 5004 - 44k

Last edited:
Nice review mate,What will be the price of boston 5.0 speakers?i mean do they sell it without sub?

@ Candu - I saw it on their website retailing at 150USD/s.speaker which is inflated. May be our techguru guys can help further on this.

@Spiro - Yep The Shop it was, i auditioned Boston at Viola only :)

u guys should go in for a Boston demo i am sure paradigm n wharfedale will def revise their prices once they also hear boston...

Hey midnight,

Did u tried QA2000 series at viola ? I m gonna take demo of the same but bit tight schedule do not able to visit Also m awaiting qa2050 towers which will be at viola in few days do try them and share your views as compared to Boston and others u tried out.

I plan to visit later this weekend

Cheers....

Hey,

The boston CS2310 comes with an 5.1 Package ie. with the subwoofer.. and its possible to arrange the pack without the sub woofer as well ie 5.0 pack

Can u give a quote for boston 5.0 speakers .can u ship it to my place in chennai?
Where in chennai can I audition these speakers,i am looking for a good 5.0 setup for another room which is 12*10 in size.

Hey midnight,

Did u tried QA2000 series at viola ? I m gonna take demo of the same but bit tight schedule do not able to visit Also m awaiting qa2050 towers which will be at viola in few days do try them and share your views as compared to Boston and others u tried out.

I plan to visit later this weekend

Cheers....

Hi,

I wanted to try Qacoustics but the price tag it carried (56k) was beyond my budget so i thought not to waste time as if I happen to like the speakers, my greed will grow and my pocket will suffer more :p

but u should go and check it out...

u guys should go in for a Boston demo i am sure paradigm n wharfedale will def revise their prices once they also hear boston...

Viola is selling Boston since long.I heard its BS with Denon & sound was very good for movies.Music,some can say a little bright.Overall good sound.

Who are the boston dealers in Bangalore? I am looking for a CS Sub10. I got hold of one guy by the name Sridhar. Not so friendly to deal with, he want to know more details about us that what we want. First he said CS Sub10 does not sold separately. But upon telling him that it's available in their website he agreed and wants a weeks time to arrange an audition. Any one else in Bangalore sells Boston acoustics?

Also, I am looking at this as a .1 for my 5.0 HT from wharfedale (diamond 9.2, 9cs, 9dfs). I know this is only 100 watts and operates from 32Hz only. But given the price point is this piece worth the investment?

Thanks!
Anish

Hi,
I am looking Denon with Boston cs2311 speaker system and my budget max 50K, if any combination option better than this in this budget than let me know

Hi friends...
check this link ...
AudioCentreShop.com - Boston CS-2310 - Speakers
he's quoting Rp. 5800/ for CS-2310 ... what is Rp. ?

midnitefreakin mentioned,,

Denon 1611 + Boston acoustic CS2310 5.1 set
Place - Viola
AVR - Denon 1611
Speaker - Boston acoustic CS2310 5.1 set (10" down firing beast!)
price - 28k for avr + 28k for 5.1

What is the actual price ?
shashi

Last edited:
Rp must be Indonesian Rupiah (I'm guessing from their address) also known as IDR. Today, IDR 1000 = INR 5.00.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back