Auditioned Yamaha 8900 + V667 and Elac Starlet + Onkyo 608

haisaikat

In my pursuit today to purchase AVR and Speakers, I auditioned today Yamaha RX V667 amp with Yamaha 8900 package (NS8900 front towers and NSP8900 center and surround) and on the other hand Onkyo SR 608 with Elac Starlet 5 speakers series. The price I was offered was 73K for the Yamaha combo and 70.5K and the Onkyo - Elac combo was offered to me for 70K. Neither has subs. The Onkyo dealer also offered me TX SR608 with Jamo S406 5.1 combo (with sub) for 77K.

In my test the Yamaha sounded better with two floor stands and 2 sats with 1 center than the Onkyo Elac combo that had 5 single way sats (fronts, center and surr). However the Elacs inspite of being very very small produced unexpectedly good sound. For test I had used Adnan Sami's Tera Chehra Audio CD title track (i took it with me) and for Movie Yamaha guys played Transporter with lot of guns and at Onkyo side I played Kingdom of Heaven and Troi with Army Marching, crowd, fights, etc sounds. I was not able to audition today the Jamo 406 with Onkyo 608 but the onkyo dealer said it will be better than the Elac set with 7K more to spend which will also bring in the sub.

Can anyone help me with their suggestions on these speakers? since they are the ones that are available in kol in my budget (60K initially but now had to extend to 70K). Onkyo S9300 THX is available at 80K as Amp+7.1 speakers.

Thanks for nice compare.AVR can sound different with another spk option.Both are equally capable though.

go for an audition with yamaha 667 with sonodyne sonus package at south city mall. Don't go for Yamaha speakers.
Also Onkyo 608 with Jamo 606 HCS, then report. Don't hurry your purchase.

Try audition with paradigm cinema package...

What would be the tentative price of this speakers? within 30K for 5 (if not 5.1)? They have to be available in Kolkata unless you are not recommending to be purchased from ebay.

go for an audition with yamaha 667 with sonodyne sonus package at south city mall. Don't go for Yamaha speakers.
Also Onkyo 608 with Jamo 606 HCS, then report. Don't hurry your purchase.

Hi kaushik,
I think Jamo 606 will be way above my budget for 5 speakers by 30K max.

Thanks for suggesting the sonodyne sonus option. I will take a look at that. Hope they have a handy v667 in their showroom.

Energy Take classic has been phased out in India and may not be available, if it is it would most likely be a domo peice, However new model of Energy may be available which is Energy RC-Micro 5.1 but this one will be more than 37K INR. ( had got quote of about 40K but by negotiation i am guessing he would have come down to 35-37K)

Try auditioning the Wharfedale Moviestar 70+ package .... @ < 30k. Another member from Kolkata opted for it .... don't remember his name now.

Search for the speaker package in THIS forum. Quite a bit has been discussed on it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back