Audyssey MultEQ32 vs Anthem Room Correction - A quasi scientific test

superczar

I use Audyssey MultEQ32 correction for my HT setup and Anthem Room correction (ARC) for my bedroom stereo.
Subjectively, I find the ARC setup to sound better for music but then it is not a fair comparison as both setups are completely different and the ARC / Audyssey difference is not the only cause of difference in the sound.
I thought of trying to settle this question by doing a partially scientific test by plugging in the ARC preamplifier as an input to the Audyssey AVR.
I then performed an ARC sweep test with Audyssey enabled and disabled to see what the difference is - and it yielded some rather interesting findings.

Audyssey OFF
Audyssey off L.JPGAudyssey off R.JPGAudyssey off others.JPG

Audyssey on L.JPGAudyssey on R.JPGAudyssey on others.JPG

AUDYSSEY ON (above)

One thing this test does confirm is that Audyssey and ARC aim for slightly different targets
I have noticed a slight dip in bass response on ARC vs Audyssey which is also confirmed by the fact that ARC feels there is still some bit of room gain on the audyssey corrected curve
I have also felt that Audyssey doesntt do a great job at making the vocals clear - ARC seems to detect a dip (although small) on the primary vocals band between 1-3K

Other than that, it seems both audyssey and ARC seem to agree on most parameters including the fact that Audyssey get both the bass and HF roll-offs in line with what ARC targets.

Based on this, I am going to make two changes - 1 , Bump up the room gain for the target curve for ARC and re-run it to get the bass response I prefer
2 - Audyssey won't let me adjust the target curve but I can get roughly the same by the dialog boost adjustment

Hi Interesting !!! Did u used the Audyssey app ?Is all the 8 point mic position done on Audyssey likewise for ARC Mic .Is the ARC mic position kept at 90 degree.
Is the latest ARC genesis is been used?

Hi Interesting !!! Did u used the Audyssey app ?Is all the 8 point mic position done on Audyssey likewise for ARC Mic .Is the ARC mic position kept at 90 degree.
Is the latest ARC genesis is been used?
The Audyssey setup was an 8 positions calibration (since it is the final setup for the room)
The ARC tests were done with 5 positions with an ARC calibrate mic fixed on a tripod (90 degree to the ceiling)
Latest version of arc genesis was used.

Based on my experience I like Anthem ARC better than Audyssey . At present I use Dirac and also found to be good.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back