AutoCAD drawing of Garrard 401 plinth and SME 3009 protractor

Finyl Vinyl

Gentlemen,

I have someone in Hyderabad who has a stone business and can cut a 401 plinth out of black slate. (CNC machine and all). He can also do the positioning and cutting for my SME 3009 tonearm.

Hassle is that he requires an AutoCAD drawing of the plinth and the positioning of the tonearm. Does anyone here have such a drawing of either the plinth and/or the tonearm together and share it with me please?

Thanks in advance.

FV

Can do this for you in .cdr or .svg (or converted .pdf without changing scale), or may be as a. jpg or .png image files.

Don't have AutoCAD.

I don't know if AutoCAD allows direct imports of vector files like cdr and svg or perhaps pdf but I'm fairly certain it will allow import or embed of jpg or png images. Any AutoCAD jock will be easily able to
"trace" the image, especially considering that it is just a two dimensional rendering.

Do let me know (with a PM of your email) if I can be of assistance.

I think AutoCAD can import .cdr and .svg and yes a jock can easily trace the lines and mark the dimensions. Would very much appreciate this. Sending you PM with email ID. Do you have the 3009 placement alsoo market out?

I made a 401-3012 design recently. Will modify for 3009. As far as I remember the cutout for arm hole for 3009 and 3012 are exactly same.

Can you remind me of the pivot-spindle distance of your arm?

I'll make it in svg. I'm most comfortable working on that:)

I made a 401-3012 design recently. Will modify for 3009. As far as I remember the cutout for arm hole for 3009 and 3012 are exactly same.

Can you remind me of the pivot-spindle distance of your arm?

I'll make it in svg. I'm most comfortable working on that:)

Sure will. But the distance cannot be the same as for the 401-3012 combo. Cutout shape could most certainly be the same.

While you're doing the dirty work, can you also research if the various versions of 3009 arms have same pivot-spindle distance? I have to make another design for 401-3009 for an acquaintance. I haven't figured out which version is the 3009 (just have a few closeup pictures), and a bit short on time to research it:) Thanks.

Coreldraw files can be exported to old version Autocad file in .dwg format. However, while exporting to .pdf or .dwg there are possibilities of minor size (less than mm) differences in scale.
Regards.

Coreldraw files can be exported to old version Autocad file in .dwg format. However, while exporting to .pdf or .dwg there are possibilities of minor size (less than mm) differences in scale.
Regards.

Sir, do you know what is the correct spindle to pivot distance for an SME 3009? I am confused. There are so many contradicting info. I had this problem even when I was searching for the pivot-spindle distance for SME 3012 - various numbers from 292 to 296 were variously mentioned by different sources. Finally I took the average and used 294 mm:lol:

Sir, do you know what is the correct spindle to pivot distance for an SME 3009? I am confused. There are so many contradicting info. I had this problem even when I was searching for the pivot-spindle distance for SME 3012 - various numbers from 292 to 296 were variously mentioned by different sources. Finally I took the average and used 294 mm:lol:
aaare baba why are you calling me sir ? :(
Don't know about distance. But it would be prudent to keep little play in fittings/slots of plinth so one can adjust.
Regards.

...ofcourse, if play is kept aesthetically gaps should not show from any side.

... also wanted to add. fills etc. should not be kept in coreldraw file. Only line drawing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Hiten. I think I have figured out how to measure it. I have a scanned jpg of an SME mounting template. The oval cutout has proper dimensions marked. The spindle points for 3009 and 3012 are also given. Will import it to drawing application, scale it properly, and voila we will have correct distances. In fact I had done exactly the same thing earlier for determining the correct cutout for the arm mount.

Imported the template and scaled it. Got these mounting distances:

1) 3009: 217.682 mm
2) 3012: 298.736

Now this is at variance from what I knew:sad: I had the figures of 213.xx mm and 294 mm (this being my averaged figure as explained earlier), respectively. But I think the measured values are workable since the SME arm can slide back and forth by as much as 20 mm from center line for fine adjustments. That's a total of 40 mm, so circa 5 mm variance is tolerable. Will go ahead! unless someone knows a more definitive value.

do you have the physical part or just the drawing? in any case i can get it re- engineered, modeled in 3d and then convert it to 2D and give it you. If done in 3D you can assemble it and check it easily on the computer and make sure you do not go wrong.:D

While you're doing the dirty work, can you also research if the various versions of 3009 arms have same pivot-spindle distance? I have to make another design for 401-3009 for an acquaintance. I haven't figured out which version is the 3009 (just have a few closeup pictures), and a bit short on time to research it:) Thanks.

I haven't been able to figure out what version my own 3009 is! Can't find any references to it.

Compare your arm weight to the pictures shown in the first link provided by Fantastic. Every iteration has different arm weight shape and size.

Also crosscheck with below pictures of 3009 Series II Improved I snapped recently:

uZ2PzdH.jpg

TYr2a5C.jpg

I forgot to snap the other side of the counterweight but I think they're different across iterations.

Will take pics tonight and post. TT and TA are dismantled currently as I just moved from BLR to HYD. Will only put them together when new plinth and home are in order

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back