Automatic hatch - First car suggestion.

kmathan88

Hi All,

I am planning to get my first car very soon. I am considering hatch back and below is my shortlist with varying price range.
Please help me without your feedback.

Price mentioned is before negotiation.
1) Hyundai i10Nios Sportz AMT - close to 8.6L
2) Honda Jazz VX CVT - close to 11L (I will pass the Amaze for other reasons.)
3) Swift ZXI+ AMT - close to 10L
4) Hyundai i20 CVT Sportz - close to 10L

Family of 4 as of now. Used mostly for office commute ~20KM per day in Bangalore traffic and weekend drive ~40KM in Bangalore.
Occasional highway run. Expecting my annual usuage to be around 5K KM.

Jazz is BS4 I believe. So is it ok to spend close to 11L now ?
i20 scares me on the mileage front.

I am almost close to booking i10 Nios, but my family is pushing for Jazz since we have one in our extended family.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am planning to get my first car very soon. I am considering hatch back and below is my shortlist with varying price range.

Family of 4 as of now. Used mostly for office commute ~20KM per day in Bangalore traffic and weekend drive ~40KM in Bangalore.

I am almost close to booking i10 Nios, but my family is pushing for Jazz since we have one in our extended family.
I10 can easily accommodate 5.
If not i10 then i20.
Hyundai has good resale value.

I wouldn't suggest jazz.
Several reasons.

I10 can easily accommodate 5.
If not i10 then i20.
Hyundai has good resale value.

I wouldn't suggest jazz.
Several reasons.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Can you please highlight some key points on why not to go for Jazz. ?
What if I get Jazz for 9.5L after discount ? Can I consider it ?

Jazz More spacious then i10 , no one can fight that

But Honda quality has gone down a lot. Both are no driver cars but jazz CVT would be more relaxing to drive.

I10 AMT is also getting lots of issues

So no one car is clear winner

But keep in mind to bargain your best. It's buyers market . Can get more discount on jazz.

Bs4 or bs6 engine , don't worry too much about it.

I've been driving the i20 (Asta, manual, diesel) for the past 5 years. It's quite spacious and will be very comfortable for 4 plus the occasional extra and has good luggage space and power on tap (for the diesel). Efficiency for the diesel variant is around 17-18kmpl, for petrol and auto variant I think it's around 12-14kmpl (not checked, based on feedback from friends), same goes for Grandi10. Since you're looking at the petrol variant, do check if the power on tap is enough for you, as the vehicle is quite heavy. Fit and finish is pretty good, no complaints. Reliability also has been excellent, with only minor issues with the keyless entry button, in the first 5 years
My pet peeve with the vehicle has been the steering, which is lifeless (same goes for i10). This is definitely not meant for the enthusiasts, but can get you from point to point with a very affordable maintenance cost to boot. The Swift has a much better steering though. Never drove the Jazz, so can't comment.
Good luck with your hunt!

Last edited:
Jazz More spacious then i10 , no one can fight that

But Honda quality has gone down a lot. Both are no driver cars but jazz CVT would be more relaxing to drive.

I10 AMT is also getting lots of issues

So no one car is clear winner

But keep in mind to bargain your best. It's buyers market . Can get more discount on jazz.

Bs4 or bs6 engine , don't worry too much about it.
I am trying to get good discount on Jazz. Lets see how much I can get.
i10 Nios don't have any discount on my initial talk. But can get good discount on i20. But i20 mileage seems to a worry. But asta comes with 6 air bags.

I10 nios is a very new model, so would be hard to get too much discount on that

More airbags always better. If safety is your main concern don't think too much about efficiency.

You won't get both you know that unless you get maybe a Ford but let's not get there as then discussion will be endless

You have to make up your mind what is a bigger priority for you

Add VW GT TSI to the test drive list.
In terms of sheer power/torque and handling, it is a fun and hot hatch.
9-12 kmpl in city, 12-15 kmpl on highway.
Built solid too. Can take a good share of namma Bengaluru traffic dings.
Rear seat is a bit cramped for long family rides.

Cheers,
Raghu

You want him to deal with VW and pray everyday that it's DSG does not fail :)

All this is too much for his very first car.

Otherwise no doubt a good engine gearbox combo, suspension is little too soft but I can understand why VW opted for that .

Well ...
I have a 2013 Vento TSI and 2015 Polo TSI.
No issues with DSG powertrain so far, still smooth and peppy.
Cheers,
Raghu

Ideally do not go for any car with AMT and do with any with dual clutch.

Torque converter AT cars while being more reliable are bad with mileage.

GT TSI is a fun car but a tad cramped. The Hyundai venue DCT is a tad expensive and not as fun as the tsi but way more spacious.

VW dsg issues have been long sorted.

Honda Jazz all the way for its reliability and low cost maintenance. No problem till next 15 years on account of BS6. I didn't know it became so expensive now. A friend bought it for 8.5L around two years ago. What is the issue with Amaze. A friend bought it for 8.70L
WW and Skoda after sales maintenance are quite high, if something even a (side mirror) goes wrong.

It is almost end of BS4 and by April 2020 it will be BS6. I would suggest you to buy BS6 if you plan to keep the vehicle for long.
You will have your first car BS6 compliant. Your shortlist has mix from different segments normal and premium hatches. Why not include Baleno CVT also in the list?.
It is ridiculous to see how the prices have gone up. i10 nios price is touching in to premium hatch price.

Hi All,

I don't know how the 4th generation Jazz is vis-a-vis quality. I have the 3rd generation, Select version Jazz with manual gear & have been using for 7.5 years sparingly though. At that time Honda Jazz had magic seats across all variants. The magic seats were one of the reasons why I went for it since the flexibility of folding the rear seats both ways is great & you can accommodate more luggage than even most of the bigger sedans by making the rear seats almost flat.
The next best thing is cabin space which I still think Jazz has the most seating space in its segment. It feels airy inside the cabin & not cramped up.
I have their petrol engine version which sometimes is so silent at the signal that I am not sure whether it is really on. It's a very smooth car to drive.

That being said, I feel in the first gear, Jazz lacks the torque for pick up. You enjoy driving it at a higher speed because that is where the engine comes alive. The interior fit & finish of the VW is better, VW is also tougher with thicker gauge metal. I think now the magic seats on Jazz are available only on the top variant which is sad as that was an inherent character of Jazz which differentiated it from the other cars in that segment. Suspension of the 3rd generation is on the stiffer side & you feel the potholes more. Don't know if they have made the suspensions on the softer side for the 4th generation.
Pls do consider the Maruti Baleno & Toyota Glanza too. Lookswise in my personal opinion the I20 Elite looks best but that is subjective & it comes with a lot of features. I haven't driven Maruti, VW or I20 so cannot comment about their usage but can say that the Jazz is a reliable car & gives decent mileage.
Test drive the cars & see which one suits your purpose & also consider their after sales service which is very important. I would consider safety, space, after sales service & reliability over mileage since it will be your first car.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Baleno CVT.
My dad has been driving it since 2 and half years.
Running without any problem.

Add VW GT TSI to the test drive list.
In terms of sheer power/torque and handling, it is a fun and hot hatch.
9-12 kmpl in city, 12-15 kmpl on highway.
Built solid too. Can take a good share of namma Bengaluru traffic dings.
Rear seat is a bit cramped for long family rides.

Cheers,
Raghu
My first call was to VW GT TSI. No discounts, so out of my budget. :(

Honda Jazz all the way for its reliability and low cost maintenance. No problem till next 15 years on account of BS6. I didn't know it became so expensive now. A friend bought it for 8.5L around two years ago. What is the issue with Amaze. A friend bought it for 8.70L
WW and Skoda after sales maintenance are quite high, if something even a (side mirror) goes wrong.
I am not convinced with the look for Amaze. Jazz feels much better to me. But yes, Amaze is VFM compared to Amaze.

You cant go wrong with any of the above, but if i were you, i'd choose the one which gets you good discounts.

On a side note, all the prices look atrocious for what they offer ! I guess the the Indian automobile slowdown is just what everyone needed !

It is almost end of BS4 and by April 2020 it will be BS6. I would suggest you to buy BS6 if you plan to keep the vehicle for long.
You will have your first car BS6 compliant. Your shortlist has mix from different segments normal and premium hatches. Why not include Baleno CVT also in the list?.
It is ridiculous to see how the prices have gone up. i10 nios price is touching in to premium hatch price.
Not a fan of Maruti's build. Toyota, Honda, VW, Hyundai feels better to my eyes. Read great reviews on Baleno CVT.

I am not convinced with the look for Amaze. Jazz feels much better to me. But yes, Amaze is VFM compared to Amaze.

Jazz is supposed to be higher up in the Honda hierarchy than Amaze. Pls consider ground clearance too with respect to our potholed roads & irregular sizes of speed breakers.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back