Av Racks for Stereo and Home Theatre

Ajaybalagopal

Hi
have started making Av Racks for Stereo and Home Theatre.
I run an industry that makes automobile components for the international market.
I could not find a rack that appealed to me aesthetically. so got a team of engineers to use autocad and design one using all the engineering skills we have.
we have used isolation at each level of the rack. rubber washers designed and manufactured to isolate steel from glass.

ii12.jpg

yiey.jpg

nok8.jpg

we are planning to market the same.
i will come out with a banner ad shortly so people can contact me directly.

The design looks good. i got two doubts:

1) how about having 4 legs instead of three.
2) i thought there should be two legs in the front side and one in the rear side, however the one shown here has two legs in one side and one in one side.

could you clarify on this.

Regards, Amit

For perfect contact to any surface only a tripod will do the job. If you have 4 legs then one of the 4 legs will not contact the floor introducing vibration. The entire weight of a rack must transfer to the next level and finally onto the floor.
The reason for two legs on one side and one on the other is that the legs being metal could cause electrical induction into the wires that run in parallel to the metal leg, this COULD cause some electronic noise, (with high end equipment you do not want to take a chance) also shorting of wires is avoided. Another reason is the wires getting tangled on the back leg and it becomes difficult to center your equipment because of the back central pillar.

For a rack to make full contact to the next level and finally to the floor
you need to use a tripod design. A four legged rack may look aesthetically
pleasing, but may not make full contact to the floor. In this design we have
provided spikes at every level with rubber bushes designed to avoid metal to
glass contact. Each level is independent of the next to help in isolation.
While assembly after the first shelf is put on the audio equipment can be
placed on the shelf. Then the next shelf placed on followed by the equipment.
Each level can be lifted off without any unscrewing. If at a later date a
customer wants to add a level or two he can. Shelf sizes start from 5inches
and go up in one inch increments upto 11 inches. If 12 inches or more is
required we can be contacted and the pillar supplied.
It is properly designed and wont fall down unless you really try.

The reason for one leg on one side and the second and third on the other is
that is you have a metal leg at the back with wires running in parallel
electrical noise could be induced. This electrical induction could create
some amount of distortion to your audio/video.
If you have the third leg at the back centering your equipment will be a
Challenge. You could have an electrical short. Wires could become tangled around the
leg at the back.

If anyone wants 4 leg model which I really do not recommend or a model with 3 legs with one at the back I could make it for you as a special order. The way it has been designed now is the best from an engineering perspective.
Actually any metal rack should be electrically earthed properly.

@thx911
In a day or two I will bring out a banner add regarding price where you can contact me. I can't post price as per forum rules. In Bangalore you can locally pick up. Out station I could send by road or courier depending on your requirement. The glass packing is bulky and heavy being 12 mm tempered glass. The legs weigh about 12kg.

@Ajaybalagopal, I was looking for your 'Introductions' thread wherein I had commented on the effect of solid metal rod which could introduce vibrations but mysteriously, that thread seems to have vanished into thin air!!

While I can see that a lot of thought has gone into the design, have you considered using hollow pipes instead of metal rods as they can be sand filled for effective damping? I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

@Captrajesh I have read about using lead shot or sand for damping. I went with solid metal and glass because they are aesthetic looking and don't dent and damage easily. Tube will need to be flared on the ends. They will dent easily in transport. The designs I have seen on the net still have a metal rod running tru the middle of the tube and sand filled between the rod and tube. I have used dia 29mm steel rods.
I suggest we meet and see for yourself the quality and the damping. Thanks for your suggestions. I got pulled up on the forum for marketing my racks. I will bring out a banner add. After which you can contact me. That's why all my previous threads can not be found. The admin was kind enough to let me back on. Thanks again.

I have read about using lead shot or sand for damping.
IFAIK Lead shots are used to increase the mass & weight while sand is used to add damping in addition to those, though not adding the weight as much as lead. Usually they use a combination of both.
I went with solid metal and glass because they are aesthetic looking
They say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and rightly so. I would've preferred thicker pillars. The rods are disproportionately sized compared to the rack to my eyes. YMMV. :)
Tube will need to be flared on the ends. They will dent easily in transport.
It can be minimised if not eliminated by taking due precautions like better packing, packing the open ends with wooden blocks etc.

Last edited:
@squarewave / captrajesh what diameter woul you recommend. I also feel it would eat into the shelf space. Using a larger dia is possible.

what diameter would you recommend. I also feel it would eat into the shelf space. Using a larger dia is possible.

Thicker the better (of course within limits) but 2" cylindrical pipes are goo enough i guess. To minimise loss of shelf space, rectangular pipes (with rounded edges for aesthetically appealing look) would be great too.

Great start, Ajay. Congratulations on the venture. I wish you all the success!

Will you do a custom design for me?

I prefer an oval design for the shelves, with feet arranged in a 16 inch equilateral triangular pattern. I have come up with this design based on the load shape and center of gravity of equipments I own. But this should hold good for vast majority of hifi gear. If it does, feel free to use this design for your other purposes (no patents pending, no copyrights :D). The two radii of the shelves will be 10 and 12 inches. Also, I prefer a thicker gauge for shelves. Is 15 mm feasible? Any drawbacks of using a thicker gauge that you are aware of?

Let me know if the design is feasible.

@ranjeethrain it's still early days and am learning a lot. No problem doing a custom for you. If you can forward an rough drawing even by hand and scan it to me I will get my acad design team to bring a drawing out for you. Based on your approval we can bring out the final in about a week.
My in house engineering team will do your CG calculations for you.
When you say 15 mm do you mean glass. I have gone with 12 mm tempered glass. I feel this is enough. If you insist and can procure it I can modify the spike length to accommodate the extra thickness.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back