AV receiver vs Pre/Power combo at same volume level

ps_sonic

I always had this doubt, Say suppose I hear a song in a marantz entry level receiver of 50 WPC at -35 db levels & next I use the pre outs & power it up with a rotel power amplifier & hear the same song at exactly the same -35 db level will it make any difference in sound quality? Will I hear more frequencies at the same level? I know there would be huge difference at high volume. My doubt is the same levels? Experts help me!

Will the extra power make any difference at same level? I have an very old rotel 5 channel power amplifier. But no pre amplifier:sad: What will be your choice between these options if your budget is 35K? Considering my living room size is 300 sq feet.

Option 1
I have zeroed in on marantz NR-1504(37k) which has 2.1 pre outs so I can use the power amp for the fronts & subwoofer & rest will be connected to the marantz.

Option 2
Sell the rotel power 5 channel power amp for about 40K( I have some offer for that price) Now I can stretch my budget to about 75K and get a more upgraded AV receiver

Confused help me guys!

Which ROTEL amp are you talking about, please give more details ?

Why would you want to buy an entry level Marantz when you can go for a new one ?

Either way option 2 is better way.

It depends.When I connected Rotel Power amp to my Yamaha 667,with same volume level,it sounded very controlled without sounding harsh.But I find 3D depth get lost.Bass improved but not day night difference.

Volume levels can vary between each brand / model for the same setting (say at -35db). In my case, it is simply 0 to 100.

It is generally accepted that Pre-power combo performs better though for the same price, an AVR could do better. However, once you go up the chain, you will find AVR choices are limited but preprocessor choices would be wider.

The Marantz is a very basic AVR? The preamp may not be so good. Why you want to use that to power only 2.1 channels? Is it not for movies? You could buy a stereo preamp if not.

My suggestion is to use your Rotel power amp with a preprocessor like Emotiva UMC-200. I have one and it is a good VFM though it may not have all the bells and whistles a 75k AVR might have.

There's no use in comparing apples to oranges.
Marantz AVR is different from Rotel amp. The sound change will not be because of the AVR and pre-amp>amp change but due to the internals of Marantz and Rotel.

To answer your question in a different way-
I had tried NAD integrated amp and a similarly placed NAD pre-power combo. The only difference I could hear was in the background hiss at maximum volume when no signal was being played.
However some years back I had tried the same experiment with older NAD equipment and had found the integrated amp more pleasing to listen to than the similarly placed pre-power combo.

Cyber Santy the reason I selected Marantz is because thats the only one preamp which falls in my budget. 5.1 AV receiver with 5.1 preouts are damn expensive. So I thought going for a preamp with 2.1 preouts as I said earlier will use fronts speakers on power amp, subwoofer are self powered, and the rest will be connected to marantz 5.1 receiver that completes my 5.1 setup.

Thanks guys I understand from your views that there is not much of a sound quality difference at same volume levels. Now plz help me on the confused part. option 1 or Option 2 which is better? Prepower or Receiver?

Thanks guys I understand from your views that there is not much of a sound quality difference at same volume levels. Now plz help me on the confused part. option 1 or Option 2 which is better? Prepower or Receiver?
Proper matched pre power is the way.
I tried same Rotel 985 (not MK2)with Yamaha.As said sound was controlled ,but lost the depth.Harshness gone,but soundstage was bit narrow.When I connected SR6006 as power amp with Yamaha 667,all this found to be much better to my liking.More headroom,depth was there and much better performance.Here 667 was the pre as constant and I changed power amp.
So matching is important.
Finally the same Rotel connected directly to my xonar soundcard,it sounded beautiful.Not boaring like HT.So can try a stereo preamp with it.even ssp sounds good with it.

Any idea of matching between the emotiva-200 & Rotel RB MKii power amp? Will it sound good?

Yes,we did test it.The sound was good but not very
exiting.Emotiva with powered speaker sounded best.
Speakers used were wharfedale 9 series.May different speaker sound better.
With music Emotiva with rotel was nice combo.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back