AV Receiver

kneo

I current have a Yamaha 473 but it doesn't do 4K, so need to upgrade. Would stick to 5.1 primarily but 4K is required as I have a LG G1 65 and PS5. I also need the receiver to manage eARC from the TV as primary source would be OTT apps on the TV itself. If it has streaming, it'd be an added advantage, however it's rarely used. Would be selling off my Yamaha 473 and upgrading, so budget would be around 60-70K maybe (I am assuming my Yamaha would fetch me 15-20K maybe)

I current have a Yamaha 473 but it doesn't do 4K, so need to upgrade. Would stick to 5.1 primarily but 4K is required as I have a LG G1 65 and PS5. I also need the receiver to manage eARC from the TV as primary source would be OTT apps on the TV itself. If it has streaming, it'd be an added advantage, however it's rarely used. Would be selling off my Yamaha 473 and upgrading, so budget would be around 60-70K maybe (I am assuming my Yamaha would fetch me 15-20K maybe)
You can also connect the TV to the AVR through Toslink.

Would Toslink do 5.1 Dolby? I am assuming it'd not do DTS at all but as a stopgap arrangement even Toslink would be fine.

Maybe you can consider the Aventage line up as an upgrade:

Current rate:

I am sure there would be some dealer out there who can offer a better rate with discount.

I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful advice, but on a side note I noticed that AVRs, specially the entry/ mid level ones seems to have completely vanished from the market.
Whatever is available, is being sold at a massive premium. Even Marantz's lightweight NR series is being quoted at almost 1.00 L. Shocking, considering I paid only 36K for NR1609.
Market has gone crazy.

If you are planning to go the eARC route, why not use the old ARC standard for now since you don't need more than 5.1? That way, your TV can do 4k from both in built apps as well as from the PS5 via a direct connection. You would need to use a HDMI splitter to route the audio from the PS5 to the AVR when using that system.

I must add that I personally do not own a PS5 so cannot be sure if this will work, but theoretically it should as per my understanding. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful advice, but on a side note I noticed that AVRs, specially the entry/ mid level ones seems to have completely vanished from the market.
Whatever is available, is being sold at a massive premium. Even Marantz's lightweight NR series is being quoted at almost 1.00 L. Shocking, considering I paid only 36K for NR1609.
Market has gone crazy.
I've noticed this too. Hence, I am going to shortlist and wait for the availability to ease up before making the final purchase. In the AV world, patience is the key :)

If you are planning to go the eARC route, why not use the old ARC standard for now since you don't need more than 5.1? That way, your TV can do 4k from both in built apps as well as from the PS5 via a direct connection. You would need to use a HDMI splitter to route the audio from the PS5 to the AVR when using that system.

I must add that I personally do not own a PS5 so cannot be sure if this will work, but theoretically it should as per my understanding. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
This is what I am doing i.e. using ARC, however my receiver is not that great at handshaking consistently on ARC. While using Netflix, I have to keep on switching between the 5.1 and regular audio streams for 5-6 times before the 5.1 'sticks' and I start getting audio. The Amazon app on LG TV just doesn't do pass through and I have to fall back on PCM for it to work. Basically despite having a 4K TV and a 5.1 speaker system, I am not able to consistently and more importantly, seamlessly get 5.1 output while I watch OTT. PS5 seems to be doing better at routing 5.1 via TV's ARC to the receiver.

Would Toslink do 5.1 Dolby?
Yes
I am assuming it'd not do DTS at all but as a stopgap arrangement even Toslink would be fine.
You assume incorrectly :)

This is what I am doing i.e. using ARC, however my receiver is not that great at handshaking consistently on ARC. While using Netflix, I have to keep on switching between the 5.1 and regular audio streams for 5-6 times before the 5.1 'sticks' and I start getting audio. The Amazon app on LG TV just doesn't do pass through and I have to fall back on PCM for it to work. Basically despite having a 4K TV and a 5.1 speaker system, I am not able to consistently and more importantly, seamlessly get 5.1 output while I watch OTT. PS5 seems to be doing better at routing 5.1 via TV's ARC to the receiver.
Are you using the HDMI-in or HDMI-out on the G1?

If you have it connected to HDMI-in on the G1, try connecting to its HDMI-out port. As a sequitur, connect the cable to the HDMI-in port of the AVR.

G1 has a specific HDMI port for ARC, which I've used. For my AV receiver I've already plugged it into the HDMI-In port. If ports were incorrect, it would not have worked (again I'm assuming this ;)).

Toslink is a good recommendation and I'll try that over the weekend. Thanks for the same

G1 has a specific HDMI port for ARC, which I've used. For my AV receiver I've already plugged it into the HDMI-In port. If ports were incorrect, it would not have worked (again I'm assuming this ;)).
I did rechecked the info on the G1 and apparently, it does not support DTS 5.1 over ARC or Toslink which is rather strange.

Market has gone crazy.
Agree it has ...all started after 2020 Covid effects. Everything has gone up except the salaries we earn. Most of us are now forced to look out for pre owned stuff which fits the pocket and also gets the job done for the moment till we upgrade next!

I've got a similar configuration as yours. I have a Yamaha RX-375 bought in 2014. I purchased LG C1 last year. Thought of upgrading the receiver but the existing prices dented my enthusiasm o_O (maybe due to the chip shortages worldwide). ARC was acting weird for me so I've connected Toslink from C1 to AVR. Works well on all OTT apps on TV.

The only drawback is that LG doesn't support DTS sound output, so If I play any DTS encoded video from a Hard disk, I get no sound.

I've connected my PS4 pro directly to C1. If I need to play a DTS video I use PS4 as a media player or I directly connect my laptop to the AVR.

I've enabled HDMI-CEC so the receiver automatically switches the input to Optical as soon as I open any OTT app.

Hope this helps.

Amazon app on LG TV just doesn't do pass through
I believe Amazon supports multi-channel audio only on fire TV devices.

Also, you have mentioned using an hdmi input port on your receiver for ARC. But ARC support on receiver side is typically present on the output port.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-08-10-30-45-315_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-08-10-30-45-315_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg
    646.3 KB · Views: 9
I have the same receiver and had the same issue with ARC with my LG C9. I switched to optical cable and it is all good now, surround sound works as expected.

Market has gone crazy.
Completely agree. I almost gave up on purchasing new HT after seeing all the price. I should have bought it least an year back. I had plan for quite sometime but did not put effort.

Back